Can't retrieve emails from iCloud

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
muzza4

Can't retrieve emails from iCloud

Post by muzza4 »

Hi there

I can't retrieve emails for icloud via Poppeeper. I was able to until a couple of months ago, but now I see
Server unexpectedly disconnected ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED].

Any ideas what I should be doing?

Here's my settings...http://test.clubhub.co.nz/mh/20170502162308.png

Cheers
Muzza

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.2003
Webmail: 4.3.1.9001
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.4.0.2003
SendMail: 4.4.0.2003
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
iCloud [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.me.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Server unexpectedly disconnected ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Can't retrieve emails from iCloud

Post by Jeff »

I'll hazard a guess and ask why you're using a gmail address for your login name...? Your login name should presumably be the same as your email address.
muzza4

Post by muzza4 »

Hi Jeff

I have amended my login to use the me.com email address. I can confirm that works on my PC logging directly into my apple account.

Here's the setup now...http://test.clubhub.co.nz/mh/20170503095348.png

Regards
Murray

The log from Poppeeper follows...

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
iCloud [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.me.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 4]
- Server unexpectedly disconnected ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Try it without the @me.com. Their server expects a different login type depending on the authentication mechanism used; older versions of PP used one while the current uses another, but I can never remember which one it is now. POP Peeper's Auto-config also suggests it's no @me.com so that's probably it.
muzza4

Post by muzza4 »

Hi Jeff

I've done that (several times in the past as well) - but still the same outcome.

Regards
Murray

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
iCloud [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.me.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 29]
mjs

Post by mjs »

Just curious (probably a stupid question and totally unrelated to the issue), why is the "OAuth2" button not displayed in the PP "Edit Account..." GUI window for this IMAP account using PPv4.4?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

muzza4 -- These are the auto-config settings that PP uses for me.com:
PP_AutoConfig_MeCom.png
This is relevant because POP Peeper gets this data from a Mozilla-sponsored database; ie. it's the same settings that Thunderbird would use. It also matches the settings that come from Apple:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304
Note that this page does mention the issue with the login name.

We haven't mentioned this, but are you sure the password is correct? If your login name was using a gmail address, it makes me wonder if the account wasn't duplicated from a gmail account or something and maybe you didn't update the password either?
Have you tested the account in another IMAP server (e.g. thunderbird)?

side-note: the above screenshot includes a fix that is post-beta3. Beta3 will not find the smtp server correctly (specific to me.com).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool -- OAuth2 is not a wide-spread mechanism and even if the server supports it, it must be supported by the client for that specific server (e.g. Thunderbird supports oauth2 for gmail but not for yahoo). POP Peeper has Oauth2 support for gmail, yahoo and hotmail/outlook.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote:lakrsrool -- OAuth2 is not a wide-spread mechanism and even if the server supports it, it must be supported by the client for that specific server (e.g. Thunderbird supports oauth2 for gmail but not for yahoo). POP Peeper has Oauth2 support for gmail, yahoo and hotmail/outlook.
Thanks Jeff, yea now I recall this being mentioned before and besides it's also referenced in the "version history" page (http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... onhistory/) for v4.2 (Did I say it was probably a stupid question? :?: ... yep I did! :wink:, I got that right at least! :D )
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
muzza4

Post by muzza4 »

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the detailed reply - I appreciate it. Oops

> We haven't mentioned this, but are you sure the password is correct? If your login name was using a gmail address, it makes me wonder if the account wasn't duplicated from a gmail account or something and maybe you didn't update the password either? <

No it's right. I went and retrieved it from my password file, then logged out of Apple on my browser, then logged in again using the password. That worked.

So I installed Thunderbird and (using the same credentials as the web login) it reports to me
Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong.

Hmmm, clearly it's not your problem, and presumably it's an Apple issue. I probably have a slightly screwed up Apple account.

So thanks for the help and I shall attack from an Apple perspective.

LATER...found it. It's Apple's 2 factor identification. I turned that off and now Popeeper can access it. Doh! Shame because I want to use it. Can you enable it and ask me the code - I imagine that's a lot of work.

On the plus side, maybe this post will save others puzzling for too long.

Regards
Muzza
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad you figured out the problem! But you can't do what you're asking with imap. Actually, it made me think that maybe they support oauth2, as oauth2 is one method that works with 2-step authentication, but I've confirmed that the me.com imap server does *not* support oauth2.

However, usually when 2-step auth is available, you can create an "app password" in your online account. An "app password" is separate from your master password and is more restrictive (ie. it can't be used to log into your web account). So be sure to look into that -- you will probably have to enable 2-step to create the app password.
wlinden

Post by wlinden »

It won't work. My iCloud (and iTunes, and all the others) login is my Apple account credentials, and it just won't accept these using PP. I tried every combination I could think of, including the "me.com" address I DON'T have.

My "Apple ID" is my gmail address. I can't find anyway to use that with PopPeeper.
Last edited by spc3rd on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Two posts involving same issue combined into one & appended to current, existing topic discussion.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi wlinden & welcome to the Esumsoft Forums,

I have combined your two, separate topic posts into one and appended it to this more-current discussion, as one of the posts was made to a topic over 2.5 years old shown HERE which involved a different version of POP Peeper.

As you are a new member of the Forums, The Esumsoft Team requests you carefully review the following Sticky:

Information for new users and forum members.

important information is provided regarding the Forums and POP Peeper program which new members need to be aware of, including cautionary notes about personally-identifiable information. Links are also provided to additional resources which explain how to perform a variety of tasks, as well as, the steps to take if you experience problems with the POP Peeper program.

In the interim, to help us better assist you, please post back with your response to the following:

1. Please include the complete text of any error messages you are receiving in POP Peeper in your next reply. When error messages occur, you will see a yellow icon with a black "!" exclamation mark in the center, on the lower right corner of the POP Peeper main interface.
(Instructions for doing this are explained in the following Sticky):

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will be reviewing your inquiry and provide their respective feedback as well.

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

wlinden -- I don't have an apple account, so keep that in mind; but if you don't have an @me.com account, then how do you receive email? If apple-related news is sent to your @gmail.com address, then setup your gmail account in POP Peeper.
dick_zelf

Post by dick_zelf »

Hello, i'm getting a little frustrated with this problem. I have tried every solution given in this Forum, but nothing works.!! ](*,) :evil:
I'm using POP Peeper v4.5 RC 5 but it also happened with a previous version. I'm allmost begging you to find a solution!! ](*,) :evil:
I've added two attachements.
I forgot to mention: If it is an Apple problem, then of course my depest excuses!!

Regards, Dick
Attachments
Error
Error
Error
Error
Last edited by dick_zelf on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum dick_zelf,

Please post in this topic the Error Overview Information for the error(s) you are getting (which provides us with more information to help analyze the problem).

Refer to the following link on how to post this information to this topic: PP Error Messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. Just as you have done previously please edit/obscure any personally-identifiable information that might otherwise be displayed, before submitting the information into this topic.

Also as you are a new member of the Forums, the Esumsoft Team recommends that you please review the following:
Information for new users and forum members, the information linked above in the first paragraph is included in this sticky topic along with a lot of other helpful information for new users.

Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Did you create an app-specific password for your account? According to this page, it seems to be required:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304
- link to do so is on that page: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204397

Also:
"Username: This is usually the name part of your iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker, not emilyparker@icloud.com). If your email client can't connect to iCloud using just the name part of your iCloud email address, try using the full address."