HTML View

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
YourKoolPal

HTML View

Post by YourKoolPal »

Hi,

First of all thank you for this fantastic program.

Now to the issue. I seem to facing a peculiar problem on only one of my work machines. I use this Pop Peeper instance to clear my email box of junk emails so that when I use the Pop Peeper instance at home, I have clean actionable emails for me. 8)

After searching through this forum I shall try and provide as much information as possible.

I am Pop Peeper Pro v4.3 on a Portable mode.
Screen0.png
I am using IMAP for all accounts. I am unable to view HTML email. When I select Rich Text, I can view the content.
(For some reason I am unable to attach more than 3 images. I shall provide them in the next post.

I am not using Smart HTML viewing. Please see Screen1 below
Screen1.png
When I open an older email, I briefly see "Please Wait. The message is being retrieved." and then it's blank. However, as mentioned earlier, Rich Text shows the content.

Please see my message retrieval options
Screen2.png
Please let me know what I need to change OR what additional information I need to provide.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by YourKoolPal on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YourKoolPal

Re: HTML View

Post by YourKoolPal »

As mentioned in my earlier post, for some reason I am unable to attach more than 3 images.

I am using IMAP for all accounts. I am unable to view HTML email. When I select Rich Text, I can view the content.
Initially when open an email
Message1.png
When I open the completed email
Message2.png
When I view it in Rich Text
Message3.png
As mentioned earlier, please let me know what I need to change OR what additional information I need to provide.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by YourKoolPal on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi YourKoolPal,

While awaiting further review of your topic by The Esumsoft Team, I'll answer your question about being unable to include more than 3 attachments to your posts.

As mentioned in the "Important Notes" section of the following Sticky topic: How to take a screenshot and attach/insert it into your post
the Board has a maximum limit (KB/MB) for all attachments you include in any post.
(The exact limit is unknown at present).

You've followed the correct procedure, by replying to your initial post and including the additional images there.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum YourKoolPal,

If I understand you correctly you get what you want by setting the "Default message viewing preference" option to "Rich Text" in the "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" window (that is the message displays as expected).

This may not answer your question (I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking actually) but I'm just curious if the "Rich Text" setting provides what you want then why not use the "Rich Text" option?

This the setting I use as well by the way for the "Default message viewing preference" in the "View Messages" window.

On a side note, this is not to say you should (need to) use the same settings, but that said -- these are my settings (as you see using "Rich Text") FWIW:
My viewing preference uses "Rich Text" option
My viewing preference uses "Rich Text" option

You are probably already aware of this, but just in case -- you will notice in your last "When I view it in Rich Text" screen-shot (using "Rich Text") that you posted; there is located just above the message header information a banner that says "Double-click here to view HTML" (provided for your protection, see example image below) which you have the option to do. :wink:
HTML warning banner
HTML warning banner
HTML warning.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 8883 times
Of course because I use the optional "Smart HTML Viewing" method this warning banner will only display (block HTML) for senders that I have not set as "Legit". For additional information on this go to "Help" in main menu, select the "Contents" tab, type in the key word "smart" and select (double-click) on "Smart HTML Viewing" where you will find a great deal of information on this topic. :wink: You might find the following FAQ's helpful as well: Upgrading to Pro: How can I display messages in full HTML? and/or I'm upgrading from POP Peeper v3, what significant changes are there in POP Peeper Pro?. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Thank you for the detailed reply lakrsrool!

I am sorry if I was not clear. I AM trying to get the HTML view to work. Currently I am forced to use Rich Text to view my emails. In HTML view the emails are blank.

I hope you can guide me further basis this clarity.
lakrsrool wrote:Welcome to the forum YourKoolPal,

If I understand you correctly you get what you want by setting the "Default message viewing preference" option to "Rich Text" in the "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" window (that is the message displays as expected).

This may not answer your question (I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking actually) but I'm just curious if the "Rich Text" setting provides what you want then why not use the "Rich Text" option?

This the setting I use as well by the way for the "Default message viewing preference" in the "View Messages" window.

On a side note, this is not to say you should (need to) use the same settings, but that said -- these are my settings (as you see using "Rich Text") FWIW: View Messages.png
You are probably already aware of this, but just in case -- you will notice in your last "When I view it in Rich Text" screen-shot (using "Rich Text") that you posted; there is located just above the message header information a banner that says "Double-click here to view HTML" (provided for your protection, see example image below) which you have the option to do. :wink: HTML warning.png Of course because I use the optional "Smart HTML Viewing" method this warning banner will only display (block HTML) for senders that I have not set as "Legit". For additional information on this go to "Help" in main menu, select the "Contents" tab, type in the key word "smart" and select (double-click) on "Smart HTML Viewing" where you will find a great deal of information on this topic. :wink: You might find the following FAQ's helpful as well: Upgrading to Pro: How can I display messages in full HTML? and/or I'm upgrading from POP Peeper v3, what significant changes are there in POP Peeper Pro?. :D
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you are able to view messages properly using the "Default message viewing preference" option set to "Rich Text" in the "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" window there is no reason that setting the "Default message viewing preference" option to "HTML" in the "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" window should not view message properly as well.

To test for this, I changed my "Default message viewing preference" option from "Rich Text" to "HTML" in the "Tools" > "Options" > "View Messages" window and I am able to view the same messages properly using the "HTML" setting just as I am using the "Rich Text" setting.

Are you getting the banner above the message header information that says "Double-click here to view HTML"?

You might try exiting and restarting POP Peeper and if this does not help try rebooting your computer. (Also make sure you have accessed the POP Peeper "Help" > "Contents" regarding the key word "smart" and select, double-click, "Smart HTML Viewing" which regardless if you use "Smart HTML Viewing" or not does also cover Default Message Viewing preference settings and how they work in detail by scrolling down the help page as well as read the help links I posted which may clear up any questions or ambiguities). :wink:

Beyond this perhaps other members of the Esumsoft Team will be able to offer additional feedback regarding your issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Greetings again, YourKoolPal,

The issue you're having is indeed a bit perplexing. ](*,) For what it's worth, I can confirm lakrsrool's findings. I changed my own PP settings to match yours (as shown in the screenshots you included), then exited PP, rebooted computer, opened PP & tested again. I didn't experience any problems viewing messages in HTML. (All but one of my accounts are IMAP, as yours are).

Two noteworthy differences between your PP setup and mine are:

(1) - You are using PP portable, and (2) - using PP on more than one computer.
(Though you indicated the problem you're having is occurring on only one work computer and not any others).
I'm using PP on a single, standalone Win 7 desktop machine.

Whether the aforementioned differences have relevance to your issue, I cannot say with any certainty.

Two questions I have for you:

1. Did this problem just begin recently?
2. If the issue began recently, did you make changes to any settings in the POP Peeper program (including any settings within each of your individual email accounts in PP) - prior to when the problem first started?

Hang in there...we'll eventually get things figured-out!
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, after you switch from html to rich, have you tried then switching *back* to html (all while viewing the same message)? I'm asking that for a specific reason; I had seen something similar in a previous version (or maybe just during development). It came down to a timing issue when the message was rendered at the same time as something else was occurring, and if you're able to manually switch to HTML and see the message that way, it could indicate the problem still exists.
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Hi,

Please see my replies inline below
spc3rd wrote:Greetings again, YourKoolPal,

The issue you're having is indeed a bit perplexing. ](*,) For what it's worth, I can confirm lakrsrool's findings. I changed my own PP settings to match yours (as shown in the screenshots you included), then exited PP, rebooted computer, opened PP & tested again. I didn't experience any problems viewing messages in HTML. (All but one of my accounts are IMAP, as yours are).

Two noteworthy differences between your PP setup and mine are:

(1) - You are using PP portable, and (2) - using PP on more than one computer.
(Though you indicated the problem you're having is occurring on only one work computer and not any others).
I'm using PP on a single, standalone Win 7 desktop machine.

Whether the aforementioned differences have relevance to your issue, I cannot say with any certainty.

Two questions I have for you:

1. Did this problem just begin recently?
YourKoolPal: Yes, however I am unable to recall the time when I noticed this issue. Perhaps in last month
2. If the issue began recently, did you make changes to any settings in the POP Peeper program (including any settings within each of your individual email accounts in PP) - prior to when the problem first started?
YourKoolPal: I am unable to recall any specific changes I made.

Hang in there...we'll eventually get things figured-out!
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Jeff wrote:Also, after you switch from html to rich, have you tried then switching *back* to html (all while viewing the same message)? I'm asking that for a specific reason; I had seen something similar in a previous version (or maybe just during development). It came down to a timing issue when the message was rendered at the same time as something else was occurring, and if you're able to manually switch to HTML and see the message that way, it could indicate the problem still exists.
Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was travelling and just returned to my office.

I have tried to switch back from rich Text to HTML in the same window. The window turns blank. There is no text visible at all.

If it is of any help, my work machine is heavily regulated and almost everything is locked down by the System Administrator. I am not sure if they have suddenly locked something down.

Is there any specific items I should check in my Internet Explorer settings OR somewhere else? Do you recommend I should check anything in the ini file?

I hate to be such a pain but I just wanted to check if this was some setting gone beserk OR some tweak I could do.

All on this thread: Thanks a lot for your patient help!
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks for posting back with the information!

Since Jeff has entered the discussion, I will withdraw from it, and simply monitor the progress. He and other members of the Esumsoft Team should be stopping-by later.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

YourKoolPal wrote: I have tried to switch back from rich Text to HTML in the same window. The window turns blank. There is no text visible at all.
After switching do a "Re-download message"; from message window go to "File" > "Re-download message" to see if this makes a difference. Or after switching you could also try right-clicking the message in the PP main window inbox and select "Remove from list" and then do a "Check mail" (from right-click context menu for account) and see if this helps.

While waiting for Jeff to look into this further, I'm just curious about you trying a different "Message Retrieval" setting (since you have posted you are currently using the "Entire Message" setting). In the main menu set: "Tools" > "Options", "Message Retrieval" to "Headers" and see if this makes a difference (Note, for individual accounts, edit the account, go to the Advanced page and change the "Retrieval Option" to "Headers").
Set IMAP to "Headers"
Set IMAP to "Headers"
Also while waiting for Jeff to look into this further, there are a few more things you could look into (or just wait for Jeff if you wish :wink:).

You have posted: you have been "facing a peculiar problem on only one of my work machines", does this mean other "work machines" do not have this problem?

As to your "Internet Explorer settings", I have the following settings in "Tools" > "Internet options" > "Advanced" Tab for my IE11:

For "HTTP settings" (scroll down the "Advanced" tab settings):
both checked
both checked
"Security" settings (scroll further down):
all checked (not sure if all need to be but do so just in case)
all checked (not sure if all need to be but do so just in case)
You could check out these settings in Internet Explorer if you like while waiting for additional feedback from Jeff.

In the meantime, as you surmised, it's possible that your work place is blocking "HTML" (assuming all "work place" computers have the same issue; if not it may be worth taking a look at the settings above).

I would add that if it is the case that "HTML" is blocked then it is likely that "IMAP" may have a problem at your "work place" due possibly to additional security settings put in place where you work. If this is the case you could try switching to "Webmail" (in the case of "Yahoo" accounts setting the "Server type" for this account to "Yahoo") or perhaps you have already tried this. Again if you try "Webmail" and the problem persists then go to (main menu) "Tools" > "Options" > "Message Retrieval" and as mentioned before try setting the Default Retrieval Option for "Webmail" to "Headers" to see if this helps. Once again, for individual accounts, edit the account, go to the "Advanced" page and change the "Retrieval option" to "Headers" (Note: this forces PP to only retrieve the message when viewed).

Of course as Pete mentioned, Jeff may be dropping by the forum later today as well, but considering today is a holiday I thought I'd go over some possible approaches you could look into in the meantime.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

When viewing a (blank) HTML message:
1) right-click on the body (ie. where you'd expect the message to display) and select 'View Source'
-> this will open your default text editor with the HTML, I assume it's not blank?
2) Save this to a file, e.g. c:\temp\test.html
3) Open Internet Explorer (Looks like you have win10, so open Edge)
4) Put in the filename you specified in step #2 (e.g. c:\temp\temp.html) and press <enter> to load that file
-> does it display?
5) Assuming you're in Edge (and not legacy IE), press the "..." settings menu on the upper-right and select "open with internet explorer"
-> does it display?

Regarding lakrsrool's previous reply:
- The retrieval method is not relevant, please do not change that. (POP Peeper wouldn't allow you to "view HTML" if there wasn't HTML available in the message)
- Since you're able to access your email, there's no reason to change from IMAP. If your IT has changed security settings and blocking IE, then it won't matter if you're using IMAP or webmail.
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Thanks for the patient help, Jeff!

When I got stuck on the first step with a blank HTML file, I realised there is something else which is causing all this issue.

I caught hold of my IT guy and logged in as local Administrator. Ran the portable PP and everything is working as expected! I can view HTML emails :)

Now my IT guy does not know what is causing this issue when I am logging in as a domain user.

Given this new insight, can you help me inform my IT guy what to change in the Group Policy?

Currently as a temporary workaround, I am launching portable PP as an local Admin user and everything is working. i.e. I can view HTML emails.
Jeff wrote:When viewing a (blank) HTML message:
1) right-click on the body (ie. where you'd expect the message to display) and select 'View Source'
-> this will open your default text editor with the HTML, I assume it's not blank?
I got a blank HTML file here!
2) Save this to a file, e.g. c:\temp\test.html
3) Open Internet Explorer (Looks like you have win10, so open Edge)
4) Put in the filename you specified in step #2 (e.g. c:\temp\temp.html) and press <enter> to load that file
-> does it display?
5) Assuming you're in Edge (and not legacy IE), press the "..." settings menu on the upper-right and select "open with internet explorer"
-> does it display?

Regarding lakrsrool's previous reply:
- The retrieval method is not relevant, please do not change that. (POP Peeper wouldn't allow you to "view HTML" if there wasn't HTML available in the message)
- Since you're able to access your email, there's no reason to change from IMAP. If your IT has changed security settings and blocking IE, then it won't matter if you're using IMAP or webmail.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One thing that comes to mind is not with viewing html but whether your normal user has access to write in the 'temp' folder. That's where PP will save the temporary html file that's used to display; since it's blank when you try to open it, it seems likely that the temp file isn't being saved. Another way to double-check this is to select View / Message source from the menu when viewing a message. The message-source file is also stored in the temp folder, so I would expect that it either won't be able to open the file ("file doesn't exist") or it will be empty/blank.
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Jeff wrote:One thing that comes to mind is not with viewing html but whether your normal user has access to write in the 'temp' folder. That's where PP will save the temporary html file that's used to display; since it's blank when you try to open it, it seems likely that the temp file isn't being saved. Another way to double-check this is to select View / Message source from the menu when viewing a message. The message-source file is also stored in the temp folder, so I would expect that it either won't be able to open the file ("file doesn't exist") or it will be empty/blank.
When I select View / Message source from the menu when viewing a message I am getting a abcd.tmp.txt file. Please see attached screenshot for one such email.
Message Source.png

Aside, I think this is some local IT mess created due to some Group Policy setting. In case no specific setting comes to anyone's mind, I would request you to drop this issue. It is evident, PP is not at all an issue here, it my IT guy ](*,)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Did you get that source as a normal user or admin? Can you PM the full copy of that source message? There's not enough information there to see if there's any actual visible HTML code, and I just want to make sure that it's not being scrubbed or something. Although, that still wouldn't make sense if you're able to view the same (cached) message as admin but not normal-user...

Also, just to double-check -- are you able to view html as admin for messages that were retrieved while you were the normal user?
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Jeff wrote:Did you get that source as a normal user or admin? Can you PM the full copy of that source message? There's not enough information there to see if there's any actual visible HTML code, and I just want to make sure that it's not being scrubbed or something. Although, that still wouldn't make sense if you're able to view the same (cached) message as admin but not normal-user...

Also, just to double-check -- are you able to view html as admin for messages that were retrieved while you were the normal user?
Hi Jeff,

1. I got that source as an admin user. Do you still require the full copy of the source message?
2. Yes, I am able to view HTML as admin user for the older emails retrieved while I was using PP as a normal user.

Please let me know in case you would require any additional information.

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

YourKoolPal wrote:1. I got that source as an admin user. Do you still require the full copy of the source message?
No. But if you'd try it again as a normal user, that might have more interesting results. As I mentioned before, I'd expect it to be blank in which case the "you don't have access to write temp files" would be the most likely explanation.
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Ok, let me try to use PP as a normal user in office and share the copy of the source message.
Jeff wrote:
YourKoolPal wrote:1. I got that source as an admin user. Do you still require the full copy of the source message?
No. But if you'd try it again as a normal user, that might have more interesting results. As I mentioned before, I'd expect it to be blank in which case the "you don't have access to write temp files" would be the most likely explanation.