Error (Send)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
CenturyBreak

Error (Send)

Post by CenturyBreak »

I've been getting this error on most attempts to access one particular hotmail account today.

The detail from the error log is as follows:

POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.2.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.2.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.2.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.2.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 22:37:56 - 22:37:56 (0 s) (-0400)
Data: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 19:37:53 -0700

--- Error ---
xxxxx [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Error (Send)

I thought perhaps it needed an OAuth2 update, as happened with another account last week, and that seemed to fix it... for one or two email checks, but the Send error returned again this evening.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
mjs

Re: Error (Send)

Post by mjs »

This type of error basically means that an error occurred when PP tried to send a command, i.e. the connection may have been severed. The error is generated by the Client (in this case MSN [Hotmail]) and is not a problem with POP Peeper. In this specific case regarding the "Error (Send)"; this error is the result of issues with the Hotmail's IMAP Servers which should eventually be resolved at some point at which time the errors will ultimately stop.

It is not something to be concerned about and in most cases will invariably clear up in short order. That said, in rare cases I've had this specific error randomly occur a number of times over a period of as long as at most 40-60 hours for some accounts but there will be a relatively large number of "Mail checks" that won't get any errors during that same time frame so rest assured, eventually the errors do stop occurring altogether. There is really not much you can do other than to change the "Server type" in POP Peeper to "Hotmail" (Webmail protocol) for that specific problem account if in very rare cases the issue were to remain persistent for a longer period of time than usual but that said, I would still recommend waiting to see if the error clears at some point.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Thanks for the info!

In this case, it's becoming more frequent, and at the moment hasn't been able to connect for ~ 4 hours. The account is set to check every 20 minutes, so that's a significant number of consecutive failures.

Okay, perhaps it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things in the universe as a whole, but... :wink: :lol:

Let's see how long it goes on before folks at the mothership notice... or until I break down and change server type temporarily... :mrgreen:
mjs

Post by mjs »

You could try exiting and restarting POP Peeper and/or rebooting your computer to see if this helps. Sometimes a conflict of some kind (glitches) can occur that can be cleared up by doing either, especially a reboot. If in fact the error persists for this specific account then I would recommend trying this before resorting to changing to the Webmail Server protocol for this problematic account.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Thanks @laksrool, I'll try that... as the error persists this morning, with no successful connects to that account since last night.

I'll report back with results either way... 8)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Based on your initial post I gather that you have other accounts (probably more Hotmail) that are all using IMAP and working successfully in POP Peeper. Is that a correct assumption and how many and what type of accounts?

If after a computer reboot this same account continues to have the same problem then please right-click on that account in the left pane of the main POP Peeper interface and select "Server info" and copy/paste that info to this board.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

CenturyBreak -- I don't know if your use of the term "consecutive errors" is coincidental or if you already know this; so, if the latter, I'm not telling *you* this, I'm telling anybody else this ;) --

If you right-click on an account and select "server info" it will show you the number of "consecutive errors" along with relevant info, e.g.
Last success: 03/25/17 15:29:05 (6 minutes ago)
Last error: -
Consecutive errors: 0
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Thanks laksrool and Jeff.

Jeff, my use of "consecutive errors" was a total coincidence... I just used the (to me) obvious tern! :lol:

@laksrool, you're correct in that there are a couple of other Hotmail accounts using IMAP without issues.

Restarting PP yesterday seemed to clear the issue... for a couple of connections... after which the error returned, so I rebooted the computer (Win 7, 64bit) which had a similar result. The issue seemed to be resolved.

Unfortunately, I woke up to it having returned this AM.

Here's a cut'n'paste from Server Info:

Server size: 35366599
File size: 2350641

Last DB Maint (global): 12/26/16 09:50:34 (89 days)

Last success: 03/26/17 02:11:58 (430 minutes ago)
Last error: 03/26/17 09:12:38 (10 minutes ago)
- Error (Send)
Consecutive errors: 21

CAPABILITIES:

FOLDERS:
Archive, Deleted, Drafts, Inbox, Junk, Notes, Outbox, Saved Inbox, Saved Inbox - eBay, Saved sent messages, Sent
mjs

Post by mjs »

I have to say you've got a perplexing problem with that one specific account.

With the way this issue continues to persist I'm certain Jeff will want to follow-up on this account and likely request PP logs from you.

On a side note, I just got the same error this morning (one time):
"xxxxxxxx VFE [1000: IMAP] ['mail.vfemail.net' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'mail.vfemail.net' (587) SSL: 2] Error (Send)" and as is usually the case the error was cleared on the next Mail Check (which is typically what occurs for these errors).

In the meantime while waiting for Jeff to review further (just grasping at straws) please log-in to this account on the web (using your web browser) and go to the "Options" page (click on gear to get drop-down list to do this, see screen-shot below).
Hotmail Options.png
Hotmail Options.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 9357 times
In the options window then select POP and IMAP (as pointed out in left column) and make sure you have the setting "Yes" selected as pointed out for POP/IMAP options (see screen-shot below, you can click on the image to enlarge for better visibility if you like)
Click on image to enlarge for better readability
Click on image to enlarge for better readability
POP options should be set to "Yes" if not select as displayed above, be sure and click SAVE to save the changed setting and test account again.

If the issue persists for this account you could try creating a duplicate account in POP Peeper with a right-click on the problem account in the left pane of the POP Peeper main interface and select "Duplicate Account..." and then set the duplicate account to POP3 to see if the POP3 account avoids this specific error. Of course this does not address the problem with this specific IMAP account. Important: If you try this, please DO NOT make any changes to this problematic IMAP account since as I mentioned, assuming this specific problem persists Jeff will definitely want to look further into this account as it currently is in order to find out exactly what the problem is with this IMAP account.
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Thanks again, laksrool.

I'll give it a go... I just checked and "Let devices and apps use POP" was set to "No"... so let's see if that makes a difference... even though we're using IMAP rather than POP... :wink:

After making that change, still no go... the Error (Send) persists! :cry:

Let me try the duplicate account idea and see what happens.

To clarify, the duplicate account definitely should be POP3 rather than using the Hotmail/Outlook server type?
mjs

Post by mjs »

CenturyBreak wrote: To clarify, the duplicate account definitely should be POP3 rather than using the Hotmail/Outlook server type?
Actually the "Hotmail/Outlook" Server Type protocol should most definitely work, I was just curious if using POP3 would make a difference (also the Hotmail setting that I mentioned applies to both POP3 and IMAP and presumably not Webmail, which is the "Hotmail/Outlook" setting). On that point however, just doing some testing myself I found that changing that POP3 IMAP setting in the web account didn't make any difference either way regarding the "Yes"/"No" setting as far as using IMAP in POP Peeper so I'm at a loss as to the relevance of that setting in the first place now. :?

Be sure and leave the problem IMAP account as is so that Jeff can further look into that account with you. This is important to look into because as I pointed out above I did get the same error you're getting persistently but as is typically the case the "Error (Send)" cleared on the very next PP Mail Check (which in general is admittedly a "temporary" error that will occasionally occur from time to time).

Addendum: If the duplicate POP3 works then you can use that account for new messages in POP Peeper while waiting on Jeff to review the problematic IMAP account but if the POP3 also produces the same error you could change the duplicate account (only) to the Webmail Server type (Hotmail/Outlook) to get your messages for sure in POP Peeper in the interim. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

CenturyBreak -- I have emailed you using the email address registered in the forums. Email me (support at esumsoft dot com) if you don't get it. I would like to know *where* the error is occurring; I suspect that it's in the login process.

:idea: Speaking of which, I'm not sure if we've mentioned this -- make sure that you have enabled the "idle/push" feature on the bottom-right of the 'General' page. This can reduce the number of logins, and since most hotmail errors occur during the login, this can reduce the potential for errors.

Like lakrsrool mentioned, the occasional error (and, specifically, that "send" error) is not uncommon with Hotmail. But not being able to connect for that long is extremely unusual.

As for the duplicate account -- many people have reported better success with POP3 than IMAP (specifically, for hotmail); it seems to be a more consistent server/infrastructure. Also, many features are no longer supported in the webmail feature-set for Hotmail, so if you're debating between webmail and POP3, definitely go with POP3.

Hotmail hasn't reported any errors. However, that status page is more of a way to confirm that there *are* errors, as opposed to confirming that there *aren't* any errors...
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Jeff, I replied to your email with a log.

Needless to say, the email used was the one I'm having problems with as discussed in this thread! :lol: #-o
mjs

Post by mjs »

Don't worry, the email should have been sent. If you used POP Peeper to send the message and there was no error it should be fine. If there was a problem the message would still reside in the "Outbox" which can be checked by selecting the "Outbox" tab in the main POP Peeper interface, as long as the "Outbox" is empty the message was sent. :wink:
PP Outbox.png
PP Outbox.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 9299 times
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

@laksrool... since I couldn't retrieve Jeff's email via PP, I didn't reply via PP! :mrgreen:

Webmail only for that account at the moment... I haven't bothered to set up a duplicate in PP as I'm sure it'll be resolved one way or the other in due course, and I'd be deleting the duplicate anyway... 8)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've replied back. As I mention in the email, feel free to reply back from a different account if it's easier for you (just include the existing conversation).

There was something suspicious in the log, so it will be easier to continue this conversation in email as it will require some back&forth logs to figure out what's going on.
tphil

Post by tphil »

Sorry to interrupt guys.... ;-)

Just to say I have exactly the same problem with the 'send' error. It's just on one Hotmail account - and it's the only one I have with a Hotmail.com address.

It will go a day or two without working - then work for a bit, maybe a couple of updates, then error again. Been like that now for a week or so. But if I log on directly, there's never any problem. I'll read further comments, but if there's anything else I can contribute please let me know.

Cheers
mjs

Post by mjs »

tphil wrote: .... I have exactly the same problem with the 'send' error. It's just on one Hotmail account - and it's the only one I have with a Hotmail.com address....
Posting the Error Overview information you're getting provides us with a lot of helpful information to know what might be causing the problem. Please click on the yellow exclamation in the lower right-corner of the main POP Peeper interface and then click on the copy button and paste (right-click in forum topic and select paste) the Error Overview information into this topic. Thanks :wink:
tphil

Post by tphil »

Larkrsrool - well I would, but I've gone and fixed it!

It seems the problem was 'webmail' element of PP hadn't updated. I don't know why, these things normally update themselves or tell me they need to update...? Anyway it was an evolution behind.

Updated that - and instantly logged in. Will come back if it goes 'bang' again, but for now looks like that solved it - though why I've not the faintest idea!
tphil

Post by tphil »

Famous last words. Back to 'send 'error.

Copy & paste as requested:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.2.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.2.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.2.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.2.0.0

--- Error ---
XXXXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Error (Send)