One email won't work

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
G1rymait

One email won't work

Post by G1rymait »

I have a couple of Yahoo accounts and one works and one doesn't. Poppepper seems to login, can get the count of the inbox emails but fails to download the message.
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 17:40:42 - 17:40:42 (0 s) (-0600)
Data: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:40:43 -0700

--- Error ---
Yahoo XXXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 2]
- Error ([UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages)
Last edited by mjs on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to redact personal email address information for security reasons
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: One email won't work

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the forums, G1rymait.

Someone else reported this same error (on Yahoo/imap) earlier this morning. Unfortunately, as the error indicates (which comes directly from Yahoo), the error is on Yahoo's end so there's nothing that POP Peeper can do. I'll tell you what I told the other person:
It's probably a temporary issue, but if you get tired of waiting, one thing that you can try is to log into the account with your webbrowser and move all(?) your messages from your inbox into another folder.

I don't know if that will have any effect or not, so let us know if you try it and it works or not (based on the error, I doubt that PP will report any errors when your inbox has no messages, so wait until you receive messages or send yourself one).

There seems to be an increase in Yahoo-related issues recently. The optimist in me hopes they're just performing maintenance and that's causing some side-effects. But I'm not an optimist :|
G1rymait

Post by G1rymait »

Thanks very much for the quick response. I had actually done pretty much what you suggested - emptied in box (poppeeper then showed no errors) and waited until an email came in. This regenerated the same error and that's when I went to the forum. Funnily enough my other account is OK. Perhaps it is because the problem account is a yahoo.ca account.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I happen to have a yahoo.ca account myself (more on that) so I just tested it and it still works. However, there are multiple servers, so the problem could just be affecting certain servers. Or, it's possible that it just affects certain accounts. When did you first notice the problem?

What you might try in the meantime is to edit the account and change the "server type" to "Yahoo." Using this webmail protocol isn't as full-featured as IMAP, but it should work in the interim.

So, regarding my yahoo.ca account -- I haven't accessed it in a while (perhaps as far back as March 2015, but the account itself is probably 10 years old) so when I initially logged into the account with a webbrowser, it said it saw something strange about my login and I'd be required to answer a security question. It asked me a question that I know I wouldn't have used so my first thought was "well, that account is dead." I then closed the browser, thought better of it and tried again. This time, it wanted me to enter a mobile phone#, I declined and then I got into my inbox. Closed the browser down and tried again -- straight in.
:roll:
G1rymait

Post by G1rymait »

Changing to Yahoo server type was worse as it shows 0 inbox items when there is one. Changed it back and error is the same. Not just a Poppeeper issue as I check on another computer and neither Zimbra nor windows 10 mail can download the mail. I can send mail from Poppeeper from that email address though.

Will just have to wait it out.

Gary
mjs

Post by mjs »

G1rymait wrote:Changing to Yahoo server type was worse as it shows 0 inbox items when there is one. Changed it back and error is the same. Not just a Poppeeper issue as I check on another computer and neither Zimbra nor windows 10 mail can download the mail. I can send mail from Poppeeper from that email address though.

Will just have to wait it out.

Gary
Hi Gary,

You are using an older Webmail plugin, version 4.4.4.0, if you update your Webmail plugin to the current v4.4.6 version then the issue with the "0" inbox count will probably get fixed using Webmail (Yahoo Server type). If you click HERE you can see that the Webmail plugin was updated to the current v4.4.6 version to address this specific issue with Yahoo accounts.

To force an immediate Webmail Plugin update, from the "Help" > "About POP Peeper..." Interface do the following:
1) Make sure that both of the "Automatically check for updates" and "Auto-update Webmail plugin" options are enabled (checked).
2) Press the "Check version" button and wait for the update to Webmail plugin.
3) The Webmail plugin should update to v4.4.6 in the "current" updates column for Webmail. Note: You may need to restart POP Peeper.

Then once you have the current Webmail plugin change the problem account back to Webmail by editing the problem account and in the "General" page of the Edit Account Interface change the "Server type" for this account back to "Yahoo" and then in the "Send Mail" page change the "Sent option" setting to "SMTP".

Now "Check Mail" for this account using the Webmail protocol with the current Webmail plugin release to see if this helps solve your problem. :wink:

Please post us back with your results.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
G1rymait

Post by G1rymait »

Had a heck of a time updating the webmail update. Trying the way you said didn't work as I kept getting an error message what Webmail update wouldn't apply to existing accounts. So tried a manual update and ran the exe file POPPeeper_WebInstall-Plugins.exe and when it tried to download the zip file it stalled halfway through and timed out. So finally downloaded the PP_WebMailv446.zip and manually copied the file to the correct folder. So finally got it working and changed the type back to Yahoo and actually downloaded the test files I had sent to the account. So It seems to be working now.

Thanks very much for the help.
G1rymait

Post by G1rymait »

Oops, spoke too soon. Imap same as before , finds files but won't download. Same error as before. If I use Yahoo as server type get no message count and the following:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.6.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Yahoo g1rthj [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Error: Try again later. (-11)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you logged into the Yahoo account on the web (browser) to see if Yahoo might be requiring something from you?

Also on a side note, this would have nothing to do with your error but, I noticed that you have not set the "Sent option" setting to "SMTP" in the "Send Mail" page of the account (you would not be able to send using "Webmail" setting).

Since you now have the current Webmail plugin I would assume you will not be getting the "0" counts but of course that's not much consolation if you are instead getting account errors. :(

If Yahoo is not requiring anything from you this could be a temporary error [-o<. However if the error does persist I'm afraid your only alternative would be to try either IMAP or POP3 once again in the hope you will have better results, preferably IMAP and if you do decide to try IMAP again then be sure to authorize OAuth2 by clicking on the "OAuth2" button and follow through with the steps requested.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
G1rymait

Post by G1rymait »

Yeah, first thing I did was log into Yahoo to see if any issues. Oh well, considering 2 other email clients don't work either I guess I will just have to wait it out.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The fix for the Yahoo -11 error is available. To force POP Peeper to update, go to Help / About, make sure that both options (automatically check for updates and auto-update webmail plugin) are enabled and then press the "check version" button.

As for the issue that you had with IMAP, I'd be interested in seeing the logs. You can change your account back to Server type = Yahoo and get the webmail update, and if you want to provide your logs, what you can do is create a new Yahoo account in PP using the same email address, but set the server type to IMAP -- that way, you don't have to switch back&forth your working account. If you'd be willing to provide the logs, email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll provide further instructions.
J.Bruyn

Post by J.Bruyn »

I've a similar problem with 2 Yahoo accounts after changing the yahoo account to new mail.
I am using Pop Peeper V4.4.2 with the latest module versions including Webmail V4.4.7.0.
I manage: 1 Hotmail, 1 Outlook, and 2 Gmail e-mail accounts with Pop Peeper, and also 3 IMAP Yahoo accounts.
Untill a view days agoo this worked without any problem. I received messages from Yahoo for quite a long time,
to try their new e-mail. So I decided to switch to the new Yahoo mail with 2 of the accounts,
and kept one as it is. A view days later I noticed that the 2 Yahoo (new mail) accounts did have problems with Pop Peeper.
According to Pop Peeper both accounts contain messages (Unread/New), but the actual e-mail messages are not displayed.
When I login to those Yahoo accounts via the webbrowser the e-mail messages are shown in the inbox.
As I empty the inbox of both accounts and do a "Check mail" in Pop Peeper the Unread/New fields are set to zero, and there
is no error indication. When I send an E-mail to both accounts, the small notification popup in Pop Peeper shows: "2 From" (without an address).
After this the Unread/New fields of the accounts now shows both 1, but again no E-mail data is displayed.
One of the accounts then gives an error in Pop Peeper: Error ([UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages), only when item(s) are in the Inbox. I did reset both Yahoo accounts to their previous e-mail state but that didn't have any result.
I've deleted the 2 problem accounts in Pop Peeper and create them both again, without effect.
Strange thing is, the untouched Yahoo account with identical setup still works fine.
I also can't address this problem to Yahoo, because there is no issue when using a webbrowser to login manually.
Maybe this information can help to solve this problem.
mjs

Post by mjs »

J.Bruyn wrote:....I received messages from Yahoo for quite a long time,
to try their new e-mail. So I decided to switch to the new Yahoo mail with 2 of the accounts,
and kept one as it is. A view days later I noticed that the 2 Yahoo (new mail) accounts did have problems with Pop Peeper....
I switched one of my Yahoo accounts from "classic" mode to the "new Yahoo mail" to test in POP Peeper and did not have any problems with POP Peeper for that account.

What you could do is try returning one of these two accounts back to "classic" mode to see if this fixes the problem with that account. That would also helps us to determine if there is a random issue with the "new Yahoo mail" in some cases (I know I certainly did have issues trying to use a browser other than the browser that Yahoo requires to use the "new Yahoo mail" (which would exclusively be Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer according the message I got from Yahoo or else the "new Yahoo mail" cannot be used #-o amazingly enough).

You can log-in to one of the two Yahoo accounts that you switched to "new Yahoo mail" and switch it back to "classic" mail by doing the following (to see if this makes a difference):
switch to classic mail.png
Click on the Settings Gear in upper right corner then click on "Switch to classic mail" and then test this account in POP Peeper to see if this resolves your error for this account.

Please report back with your results.
J.Bruyn

Post by J.Bruyn »

Thanks for the feedback. I already tried to switch back both accounts to classic. That's what I meant by written: " I did reset both Yahoo accounts to their previous e-mail state but that didn't have any result"
In the meantime I created a new Yahoo test account, this Yahoo account works fine with Pop Peeper, whether classic or new ?????
I also installed the new Pop Peeper Webmail update V4.4.8.0 without any effect.
mjs

Post by mjs »

J.Bruyn wrote:... In the meantime I created a new Yahoo test account, this Yahoo account works fine with Pop Peeper, whether classic or new ?????.....
And there are no differences of any kind regarding settings between the account that works and the account that does not work?

Yahoo seems to have resolved their recent issues, are you using "IMAP" for the account that fails to work?

If so, try re-authorizing the account by clicking on OAuth2 button and following the steps. Also if using IMAP make sure you have IDLE/Push enabled.
J.Bruyn

Post by J.Bruyn »

Hello Lakrsrool,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll would like to describe the actions I tried to resolve this issue:
I use 3 Yahoo e-mail accounts, 1 works fine, the 2 other Yahoo accounts have the problem I mentioned earlier in detail.
These e-mail accounts all are IMAP, with identical setup (IDLE/PUSH is not Enabled).

When the problem started, I first tried OAuth authorization again for the problem accounts. (no effect)
In Yahoo I switched the account back from "New" to "Classic" mail. (no effect)
In Yahoo I checked for any differences in settings, compared to the one Yahoo account that still works fine. (nothing found)
I also reinstalled Pop Peeper, and did the webmail updates, first to V4.4.7.0 later V4.4.8.0 (no effect)
I have deleted the bad Yahoo accounts from Pop Peeper, and manually added them to Pop Peeper again.(no effect)

The last thing I tried, was making a duplicate of the good account in Pop Peeper, and change the credentials to one of the bad accounts. (no effect)
I have changed IDLE/PUSH from DISABLED to ENABLED (no effect)

Remember, no problem logging in manually to Yahoo via a web browser. Sending and receiving e-mail does work find then.

Regards, Jan
mjs

Post by mjs »

Are you getting any errors in POP Peeper? (you mentioned you had gotten one error before)

So as I understand it, your getting a count as if you have a message for a specific Yahoo account but there are no messages that POP Peeper displays in the accounts inbox.

In that case try this: from the main POP Peeper interface menu click on "Messages" and uncheck the "Enable display filters..." -- you will probably get a message box telling you what this will do. Now do you see any messages for the Yahoo account that is not getting messages? (be sure and eventually place a check back for the "Enable display filters....").
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yahoo's IMAP server will sometimes not respond with the message information when requested by the client (ie. POP Peeper, but other IMAP clients are affected as well). When I say "sometimes" what I specifically mean is that it will permanently(?) affect certain messages -- no matter how many times POP Peeper asks for the message, Yahoo will refuse to send the data (sometimes Yahoo responds with "OK" without actually sending the data; other times, it will report an error, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why certain messages are affected). This is an issue with Yahoo that only they can address. This has been going on for some weeks, now.

What you can do is edit your account in POP Peeper and change the "Server type" from Imap to either "Yahoo" or "POP3". I'd recommend trying "Yahoo" first.
J.Bruyn

Post by J.Bruyn »

Hi Jef,

I have 3 Yahoo accounts in Pop Peeper.
Account "A" worked fine / Account "B" and "C" have the problems as I described earlier
I followed your advise, and did change all the Yahoo accounts from IMAP to POP3
After the change, at first the login from Pop Peeper was blocked by Yahoo, I had to "enable login with less secure Apps" in Yahoo.
The change to POP3 had limited success: Now Account "B" and "C" works fine but Account "A" is having the problem.
To makes things more complicated, an error occurs also after account "A" is switched back to IMAP again.(that first worked fine).
With Pop3, Pop Peeper shows : Error ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.)
With IMAP, Pop Peeper shows : Error ([UNAVAILABLE] UID FETCH Server error while fetching messages)

In the past Yahoo Mail has proved being unreliable. Several times I had issues with Yahoo Mail that spontaniously disapeared
after one or two days. If you still have any Ideas how to fix this please let me no.

Thanks for the help untill now.

Regards, Jan
mjs

Post by mjs »

When you use IMAP you should always also use OAuth2 (click the 'Oauth2" button and follow the ensuing steps to authorize PP), by doing this you would not need to "enable login with less secure Apps". It is advisable to use Oauth2 for any Email Client accounts that use IMAP if it is available but especially in the case of Yahoo otherwise you will be nagged about "less secure Apps" as you probably were (Note: "OAuth2" is not available using POP3, so you have to put up with the Yahoo nagging when doing a log-in on the Web or enable "enable login with less secure Apps" as you did). It is also advisable to use "IDLE/Push" when using IMAP.

I would suggest that you use IMAP with "Oauth2" enabled (near upper right-corner of Account Edit interface) as well as "IDLE/Push" (lower-right corner of Account Edit interface) and see what you get for results, if no help then just try Webmail (Server type = "Yahoo") because of Yahoo's suspicious penchant regarding Apps.