Yahoo - all details showing/Basic Mail/Unsupported Browser

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
PT268

Yahoo - all details showing/Basic Mail/Unsupported Browser

Post by PT268 »

For a few months now some of my Yahoo accounts are displaying in POP Peeper with all of the headers/details showing (X-Apparently-To:, Return-Path: , Received-SPF: ,X-YMailISG: , X-Originating-IP: etc.) with the following error message:

You’re seeing Basic Mail because you’re using an unsupported Internet browser. Upgrade your browser or get the mobile app for the full Yahoo experience. Don't show this again.

When I click to "upgrade" it takes me to the Firefox update page however mine is already up to date. When this issue started happening in May only some of my Yahoo accounts were affected, now all of them are displaying this way. I have not updated any of the Advanced settings. Screenshots below and attached (there are 4 screenshots but it seems I'm only able to attach 3).
yahoo header 1.png
yahoo header 2.png
yahoo header 3.png
mjs

Re: Yahoo - all details showing/Basic Mail/Unsupported Brows

Post by mjs »

As of June 5, 2014 Yahoo has been doing THIS.

When you login directly to your account(s) using the Yahoo Email Client on the web are you getting the same "Upgrade your browser..." message at the top of the Yahoo email webpage interface :?: (you should be presumably)

You've posted that you have the most recent version of Firefox. Just to be certain, can you post in this topic what your current version of Firefox is now :?: (go to "Help" > "About Firefox" to get this info, if you're not using version 39 then you're not on the current version of FF)

As to attached pages in this forum, I think the limit is 3 per post. [-X
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you are using the most current version of Firefox (FF) and the problem persists then you could try the following.

Click on "Open options" (little gear in FF, if you haven't changed anything in FF then it would be located in the "Open menu" sandwich button in the upper right corner of browser).

Try STEP ONE, if this doesn't work then try STEP TWO (STEP ONE will probably not help but it's worth a try first).

STEP ONE: In the "Options" window, in the Menu: Click on "Advanced" then click on the "Network" tab, then in the "Cached Web Content" click on "Clear Now".

See if this solves your problem, if not go to STEP TWO (it could be that your Yahoo cookies are corrupted)

STEP TWO: In the "Options" window, in the Menu: Click on "Privacy" then in the "History" settings select "Use custom settings for history" then Click on "Show cookies" then scroll down to where you see the cookies "Yahoo.com" and "Yahooapis.com".

First try removing the "Yahooapis.com" cookie by selecting that cookie and clicking on "Remove Selected".

See if this solves your problem, if not then do the same thing (STEP TWO) for the "Yahoo.com" cookie.

Let us know if this solves your problems.

Btw, what I do in FF with "Clear history when Firefox closes" setting checked that you'll find in the "Privacy" menu the following (see image below) setting (I find this can sometimes avoid issues loading pages by doing so, that said loading pages can be a tad slower as a result so depending upon your connection speed the choice is yours. Keeping in mind that I NEVER want to clear cookies however (if I can help it) because I depend upon many various settings for logins, page settings etc that rely on cookies (if you don't rely on cookies and the problem persists you could try removing [clearing] all cookies if you like by using the "Remove all" button in the "Show Cookies" window in the FF "Privacy" settings menu and see if this helps and if so you could also check the "cookies" selection below if you wanted to us this setting when closing FF if you like to avoid future issues. That said, this setting below is not critical at all but totally based on user preference.)
FF settings for clearing history.png
FF settings for clearing history.png (10.34 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
PT268

Post by PT268 »

Thanks very much for the quick reply, lakrsrool!

I was already on FF39. I cleared the cookies as per your instructions but unfortunately the problem still persists.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you login to your Yahoo Client on the web and click on the Yahoo account "gear" > "Settings" then look in the "View Email" tab: which "Mail version" is selected ("Full featured" or "Basic") :?:

If on "Basic" try setting to "Full featured", if on "Full featured" then if you set to "Basic" does it resolve the issue how POP Peeper is displaying emails?
mjs

Post by mjs »

PT268, you could try launching FF "clean" w/out add-ons to see if this makes a difference.

Go to "Help" > "Restart with Add-ons Disabled" and see if this helps. If so then it would presumably be one of your FF add-ons causing the problem. You can go through and disable the ones that you feel would contribute to the issue to determine which one.

An off-topic point on the subject of add-ons, I've noticed you're getting ads in you're Yahoo accounts. Yahoo has become so very annoying regarding ads, placing them everywhere on the page and not only narrowing the inbox size down on the right-side but now even placing ads within the inbox now (at the top) and even in the left menu area that has become way out of bounds in my opinion. On that subject, just to let you know there is a very nice FF add-on that takes care of all of this (instead of paying the totally exorbitant cost of $50 up from $20 that Yahoo wants to charge for add-free email).
Yahoo Mail Hide Ads.png
The way I look at it, the manner in which Yahoo has been getting regarding the ways that ads are placed in their interface and huge increase in ad-free email service they deserve having an add-on take care of this. I used to like Yahoo but have gone to favoring MSN mail once again with all the annoying tactics that Yahoo has been recently implementing. I try to keep FF add-ons to a minimum and only use a total of 10 myself (including this one), but the way Yahoo has been getting recently I felt I had to finally add this one.

On that subject, this issue you're having has more to do with all of the annoying things Yahoo mail has been doing in recent years (that btw, they seem to get wrong so much of the time along with their relatively high frequency of server issues as well).
PT268

Post by PT268 »

The odd thing is I've had that FF extension for about a year now so I never saw ads until it started displaying in the POP Peeper view.

In any case I restarted with all add-ons disabled, nothing changed in POP. I switched from Full Featured to Basic and the only thing that changed in POP was the header with the error message disappeared. Switched back to Full Featured with no add-ons and it was the same view, but the error message came back.
mjs

Post by mjs »

The add-on I mentioned was off-topic and was not intended to suggest was the cause of your issue simply because the "Upgrade your browser..." message is not an "ad" but is instead an error message produced from Yahoo in the event that Yahoo "thinks" (right or wrong) that the browser you're using is not up to date. Sorry if my "off-topic" comment caused any confusion, so then you're already using that extension.

OK at this point you could try the following steps:
1) Type in your FF address bar, "about:config" (without the quotes) and press Enter (like typing a site address).
2) Ignore the warning by clicking on "I'll be careful, I promise!".
3) In the "Search" filter type "general.useragent" without the quotes (you should see the same as what you see in the image below, if so you can skip the next step #4 below).
4) If any of the three preferences are displayed in BOLD characters then it is a "user set" preference so in that case right-click on those that are displayed in BOLD and select "Reset" from the context menu (if the settings are already set to "default" [non are BOLD] then the "Reset" in the right-click context menu will be disabled [grayed out]).

In the end you should see the following preference settings in your about:config:
about config settings re useragent.png
about config settings re useragent.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
If you have the above set as displayed and your problem persists then since you are using the current version of FF (version 39), I'm sorry to say that I'm frankly at a loss as to why Yahoo is behaving the way it is other than to say it would appear to be some kind of "glitch" in Yahoo (that apparently doesn't appear to be currently impacting anyone else that I'm aware of).

As I posted previously, I'm presuming that you're getting this "Upgrade your browser..." message in the Yahoo Email Client itself, that is when logging into your Yahoo email account(s) directly on the web using your FF browser.

Since this is what occurs using FF then if you have any other browser(s) i.e. Internet Explorer (IE) you could try using this browser instead of FF just to see if this makes a difference when logging into the Yahoo Email Client on the web. If another browser does not have this problem then for now you could either set the browser that works as your default browser for now to avoid this issue until the problem can be resolved (Jeff will hopefully have some other ideas or suggestion) or for lack of any other option since in the event at this point another browser does not have the problem and FF does then as a last resort you could (at your own risk) optionally take a look at this FF link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... references" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or you could go so far as to re-install Firefox, before you do this however you should copy your profile folder(a folder with some unique name) in some other location of your hard disk then after reinstalling firefox, copy and paste this folder back in same location (location: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\). Word of warning, I'm not familiar with these instructions from Firefox posted in this paragraph (as I haven't done any of this myself) and therefore do not vouch for them as a way to solve your problem. With that in mind, it may be ADVISABLE TO WAIT AND SEE IF JEFF CAN COME UP WITH ANY OTHER IDEAS regarding your problems if at this point your problem persists.

Let us know if your problem is eventually solved at some point, if not we'll get back to you when we can come up with any further ideas on what can be tried to address this issue.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Oh, btw PT268 - Assuming that the "about:config" instructions above was of no help and the problem continues to persist then could you please post what version of Pop Peeper your using and what "Server-type" your Yahoo account(s) are set at (Yahoo, IMAP or POP3) and if your using the webmail ("yahoo") server-settings then what version of the PP webmail plugin your using as well :?: Thanks.
PT268

Post by PT268 »

No problem, I really appreciate your help, lakrsrool!

I was actually only seeing the "Upgrade your browser..." message in POP Peeper only. Everything looked normal in the Yahoo Email Client itself.

My about:config preferences were already set to default, so I rechecked the server-types and for the most part they were all set to Yahoo (I could've sworn I had changed them all to IMAP previously). I set them back to IMAP and it looks like the problems have been fixed! :D

Thank you again for your help!!!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There are 2 potential solutions to this problem:

1) As you've already discovered, use IMAP (or POP3) to access the account

2) Make sure that POP Peeper is not displaying the entire web page:
in POP Peeper v4: main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Misc: "When viewing messages, show entire web page (webmail only)" should be DISABLED (disabled is the default; previous to v4, this option was under Tools / Options / View messages)
This will remove the headers and the "unsupported browser" notification.

For the record, your default webbrowser has no effect on this issue.
temuskoff

Post by temuskoff »

Thanks, Jeff.
Turning off the "show entire web page" option solved the problem for me.
I just wonder how it got turned on about 4 days ago as I did not previously see the full display.
mjs

Post by mjs »

temuskoff wrote:Thanks, Jeff.
Turning off the "show entire web page" option solved the problem for me.
I just wonder how it got turned on about 4 days ago as I did not previously see the full display.
It may not have been just four days ago when it was "turned on", just yesterday ONE of my Yahoo accounts was having this same problem you were having which is the FIRST time I've EVER seen this happen yet my other 7 Yahoo accounts continued to work as usual without any problems. And I found that I had this option enabled as well which may have been enabled (turned on) for months if not years but the problem just now showed up for me in just one of my eight Yahoo accounts alerting me to make the change to this option.
crabboy

Re: Yahoo - all details showing/Basic Mail/Unsupported Browser

Post by crabboy »

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Jeff - I had this problem on my netbook, but not on my PC. I could NOT figure out what the problem was. I've had PP for some time, so I did not know to check that setting. I am cooking with gas now!