Problems with hotmail/Outlook Web Access

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Tyrone

Problems with hotmail/Outlook Web Access

Post by Tyrone »

I have a double problem.

The first is not a Pop Peeper problem...

When I sign in to two of my hotmail(livemail/outlook) accounts, they default into someting called Outlook Web Access. Which I didn't ask for and can't find a way to disable. I've searched for hours on google and can't find one way out of it.

The second problem is...

Pop Peeper is accessing those two accounts with no error messages, yet not retrieving any new emails in my inbox, nor showing my previously read ones that I've not deleted.

My other hotmail(outlook/livemail) accounts are fine and retrieving fine too.

I'm bemused.

I'm having to use another email notifier at the same time. If Pop Peeper stays this way I'll have to drop it for my inferior back-up. A real pain.
Last edited by spc3rd on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: This post split to its own topic & re-titled. Tyrone - your issues are unrelated to the topic to which you posted. In the future, please create your own NEW topic in such circumstances, as it will enable us to help you more effectively. Thank you.
mjs

Re: Problems with hotmail/Outlook Web Access

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Tyrone,

What version of Pop Peeper (PP) are you using? (to find this out, in the main menu go to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper")

What "Server-type" are you using in PP for these two accounts? (to find this out, right-click on the account in the left Account List pane of the PP interface and select "Edit" from the context menu then make sure "General" is selected in the left pane of that window and refer to what you see in the "Server Type" option of that window to determine this).

If you are using the "Hotmail/Outlook" Server-type then what "Webmail Plugin" version are you using? (in main menu go to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper" to determine this)

If you CLICK HERE and scroll down to "Webmail plugin" you'll notice that Webmail version 4.0.19 is the current version and as stated (scroll down to "Webmail" plugin) this Webmail plugin update involves the "new 'Outlook Mail' interface": v4.0.19 (Sep 14, 2015) - Hotmail/Outlook.com: Basic support for new 'Outlook Mail' interface (unsupported: compose, attachments, folders)

If you're using "Webmail" (that is using the "Hotmail/Outlook" Server-type) then you'll need to be up to date with the Webmail plugin just released 10 days ago. As referenced above, go to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper" on your PP main interface Tool Bar to check the Webmail version. Click on "Check Version" to update if need be.

In regards to Outlook/Hotmail rolling out a new interface. Click HERE for more information on this (the new Webmail plugin v4.0.19 has to do with this).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Tyrone

Post by Tyrone »

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

My version is v4.0.1.0
My Server type is Hotmail/Outlook (all of my nine Hotmail accounts have this setting)
My Webmail Plugin version is 4.0.19.0

All I can add is that the other (seven) Hotmail accounts are not defaulting to the new Outlook Web Access view when I sign into them online.
And those are being retrieved normally by Pop Peeper.

Frankly. I hate Outlook Web Access. Just another unnecessary upgrade.
If there were an option to switch back, I'd do it.
But I've searched high and low and it appears impossible.

I've used Pop Peeper for years and it's the best at what it does.
I always have up to nine Hotmail accounts for different parts of my life and colour code my notifications so I know instantly what it's about just by glancing at my tray.
Plus it's so simple to organise and work with.

Thanks again for your help.
mjs

Post by mjs »

It's most likely virtually impossible to rollback unfortunately.

Here's just a few links of many that include user complaints: LINK1, LINK2, LINK3, you're not the only one asking about a "rollback" to the previous version.

It appears the roll-out of this new Outlook.com version is a progressively slow roll-out therefore the upgrade occurs to random accounts so some accounts are impacted and others are not. I only included 3 links of many, it would appear there are a large number of users that are upset and very unhappy with this new upgrade which has been reportedly "buggy". I'll never understand why large corporate entities come to the decisions that they make, it's certainly not unique to MS as Yahoo has made some really dubious decisions recently as well including obnoxious ads incorporated right into the top of the inbox list.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Tyrone

Post by Tyrone »

Hi again,

Okay, cool.
Thanks for those.
Yes. I agree with those sentiments.
And yes. I expect my other seven accounts to follow, and vanish on my Pop Peeper, shortly.

If Pop Peeper can find a way to retrieve as normal through the new landscape, I'll be happy.
I only actually sign in to any account online when I want to send a message.
Most of my email interaction is receptive and purely through Pop Peeper.

Thanks for reading anyway
mjs

Post by mjs »

Tyrone wrote: My Server type is Hotmail/Outlook (all of my nine Hotmail accounts have this setting)

All I can add is that the other (seven) Hotmail accounts are not defaulting to the new Outlook Web Access view when I sign into them online.
And those are being retrieved normally by Pop Peeper.
Tyrone, instead of using the "Webmail" Server-type (Hotmail/Outlook) for the two accounts that are causing problems, I would recommend that you alternatively use "IMAP" instead of "Hotmail/Outlook" for your "Server type", which should likely solve the issue as of now. Keep in mind that IF you DO NOT have the SSL plugin installed then you will need to install the SSL plugin if you decide to use the preferred IMAP protocol (Hotmail requires "SSL" for "IMAP"). You can check to see if you have the SSL plugin by going to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper", if it is installed it will likely be listed under the "Webmail" plugin. If you need the SSL plugin then click on the link provided below, the "Installation instruction" link will illustrate how this is done. Once you've done this then right/click on each of your two problem accounts, select "Edit", in the "General" tab select "IMAP" for "Server type" and click "Update", that's it you're all done. All the other necessary account changes should be automated, refer to the settings below which is what should get set automatically (verify this is the case when changing to "IMAP"). Keep in mind that the IMAP server protocol is the recommended "Server Type" to use instead of using the Webmail ("Hotmail/Outlook") protocol anyway.

By switching the account to access your two problem accounts using IMAP instead of WebMail, POP Peeper doesn't have to rely on the currently inconsistent nature of Hotmail's webmail service. Also don't be alarmed by the much longer time it takes PP to do the initial "Mail Check" after switching to IMAP which will only occur on the first "Mail Check" after switching protocols, this is because PP has to download all the messages again in order to populate your inbox for the different protocol on the first "Mail check" that occurs after the change has been made, after which Pop Peeper will then perform thereafter just as it has been.

Here are the settings required for IMAP which should get set automatically as of PPv4 when setting the "Server-type" to "IMAP" as described above:

Again, don't forget that SSL is required to access Hotmail using this method. If you do not already have the SSL Plugin installed, download the SSL Plugin. Keep in mind that SSL is required for IMAP and TLS is required for SMTP, see below (again these and the settings below are all automatically set in PP by changing the "Server-type" to "IMAP").

Incoming Mail Settings:
Login Name: Full email address
Server Type: IMAP
Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
SSL
Port: 993
IDLE: As of this writing, Hotmail does not support IDLE but it is recommended that you enable it (if you prefer) as it won't have any adverse effects

Send Mail Settings:
Reply Option: SMTP
Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
TLS
Port: 25 or 587 (the later is recommended)
Server Requires Authentication: Enabled

If you decide to do this then be sure and post back as to how this change turns out.
Tyrone

Post by Tyrone »

HI,

Okay, Thanks.
This is what happened...

I have the SSL plugin already.
I went to edit the first account.
I switched it to IMAP (and SSL)
I ticked the "Idle" box.
Port 993 was inserted automatically.
No other automation happened when I clicked update.
Just a dialog box saying " A required field is invalid"

So I clicked the Discover Server button: "..."
Then I tried to add your server Incoming server as listed on your message, imap-mail.outlook.com
I clicked the "Test selected servers button" and tested it.
Which returned a connection error.

Tried it all again.
Same thing.
Sorry. Stuck for now...
Tyrone

Post by Tyrone »

Thank you so much.

I just updated everything in the About Pop Peeper window on the off chance.

Some new updates kicked in and cured all of the above.

Thanks again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

In an attempt to duplicate exactly what you were doing (I've never used the "Discover Server" button) and I got the same "connection error". It would appear that the test is possibly testing the wrong Secure Connection protocol using this procedure to test the Server Connection. What you should do is just enter exactly what I had posted before (see below as well).

Please just enter what you see below in the two images. Then right-click on the account and select "Check Mail" from the context menu (note: I got a "Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError" error the first time I did the "Check Mail" so if you get an error don't be concerned just do another "Check Mail", the Mail Check should be successful ultimately using the settings illustrated below:

RIGHT/CLICK ON ACCOUNT: SELECT "EDIT" > ENTER EXACTLY WHAT YOU SEE FROM "SERVER-TYPE" DOWN IN THE "GENERAL" WINDOW AND WHAT YOU SEE AT THE TOP OF THE "SEND MAIL" WINDOW:
Enter exactly what you see, entries that are blank are where you would have your other account information.
Enter exactly what you see, entries that are blank are where you would have your other account information.
Enter exactly what you see, some entries are blank for security reasons
Enter exactly what you see, some entries are blank for security reasons
mjs

Post by mjs »

Tyrone wrote:Thank you so much.

I just updated everything in the About Pop Peeper window on the off chance.

Some new updates kicked in and cured all of the above.

Thanks again.
Great, so then those two problem accounts are now working OK presumably. During the time you posted your good news finally I was in the process of posting the settings once again.

It's sure good to know that your problem is finally resolved. :D =D> :wink:
Tyrone

Post by Tyrone »

Thanks, that's great.

Hopefully it's permanent.

If it plays up again, I'll try your follow-up instructions about the server before coming back here for help.

Have a good weekend.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I noticed the problem myself when I tested my "Outlook Mail (preview)" account this morning and -- fortunately -- the fix was quick and easy (webmail v4.0.20).

IMAP is still recommended over webmail, if possible, as it will not be dependent on the whims of Hotmail interface changes and provides more features. Some corporate firewalls will block SSL connections, however.