To remove: the Delete Marker(to keep email) and the red-X

General Discussion about POP Peeper

To remove: the Delete Marker(to keep email) and the red-X

Postby lakrsrool » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 am

I mistakenly asked to "delete" an email which then puts a blue "X" in front of the email

I right clicked on the email that I wanted to remove the "delete marker" on in order to change that so that I can keep the email.

I then selected "remove all delete markers" from the short cut list. (I only wanted to remove just THAT BLUE "X").

What I found is that ALL BLUE "X" MARKED EMAILS TAKE THE BLUE "X" off the email that had the BLUE "X" ON THEM BEFORE.

Is there a way to JUST REMOVE THE BLUE "X" on JUST ONE EMAIL? :?:

I wanted to REMOVE A RED "X" marked email but noticed that the short cut "remove all delete markers" would NOT remove the RED "X".

In the cases of a RED "X", IS THERE A WAY TO REMOVE THAT RED "X"? :?:

I know the RED "X" is a deleted marker of email removed from the server but that said, is there a way to change that "status" in PP? :?:

I was unable to find ANY HELP on any of this anywhere both in PP program help or help on-line.

Thanks in advance.
lakrsrool

Re: To remove: the Delete Marker(to keep email) and the red-

Postby JRF » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:58 pm

lakrsrool , hello , long time , please reply .

You forgot to tell your PP components version [-X , I am assuming you have PP 3.8.1 RC3 .

Btw , PP 3.8.1 final was sent to the distribution sites , keep an eye when it will be available .

Sure , R-click over that msg line and select "Remove Delete Marker" , or just press Del .

noticed that the short cut "remove all delete markers" would NOT remove the RED "X".
Correct , the red-X is NOT a Delete Marker .

I know the RED "X" is a delete marker indicator of email removed from the server, but is there a way to change that "status" in PP? :?:
As explained , the red-X indicates that the msg exists only in PP , not in the server :

so , this indicator must be kept , as a warning , to prevent you accidentally Delete , or Remove Msg from List , as in both cases the msg will be lost forever ;

with PP Premium Add-on Pack you could Archive those red-X msgs , then delete from Inbox .
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
JRF

Postby lakrsrool » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply,

Sure , R-click over that msg line and select "Remove Delete Marker" , or just press Del .

noticed that the short cut "remove all delete markers" would NOT remove the RED "X".
Correct , the red-X is NOT a Delete Marker .

So then nothing can be done to remove the red "X" on emails.

What I've found out regarding the blue "X" is the following:

For the blue "X" I've found the "right click" context menu for each email that has to do with removing "markers" ONLY gives a message that says "remove all delete markers" and if selected then ALL blue "X" emails have the blue "X"'s removed....

.... If I just want the blue "X" removed for just ONE of the emails with a blue "X" then the only way is to "press Del" on that selected email which then removes the blue "X" for JUST THAT ONE EMAIL, which is what I was looking to do regarding blue "X" emails.
lakrsrool

Postby JRF » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:10 am

lakrsrool , thanks for replying . You forgot again to tell your PP version ...

lakrsrool wrote:I've found the "right click" context menu for each email that has to do with removing "markers" ONLY gives a message that says "remove all delete markers" ...
Are you sure you R-clicked over the line that shows a blue-X ?
What do you see ? What is the 3rd selection available ?

So , to not confuse other readers , let us repeat from previous posts :
lakrsrool wrote :

JRF wrote :
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
JRF

Postby Jeff » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:42 pm

JRF is correct. When right-clicking on a message to bring up the context menu:
- if the message is NOT marked for delete, the 3rd option is "delete"
- if the message IS marked for delete, the 3rd option changes to "remove delete marker"
(this assumes v3.8, it was previously the 2nd item in the context menu)

In any case, the delete is basically a toggle, so any action that would mark the message to be deleted will also unmark it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Postby lakrsrool » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Jeff wrote:JRF is correct. When right-clicking on a message to bring up the context menu:
- if the message is NOT marked for delete, the 3rd option is "delete"
- if the message IS marked for delete, the 3rd option changes to "remove delete marker"
(this assumes v3.8, it was previously the 2nd item in the context menu)

In any case, the delete is basically a toggle, so any action that would mark the message to be deleted will also unmark it.

Thanks very much for your reply,

For me the RED part of your post above does not appear to be true for RED "X" marked emails (which is what I'm addressing here, NOT BLUE "X" marked emails).

IF I R-CLICK ON A RED "X" MARKED EMAIL using the "previous version" (3.7) the context menu in this case does not appear to have the "remove delete marker" option for the RED "X" emails. Instead all that is available is the option to "Remove All Delete Markers" which does just that BUT FOR ONLY EMAILS WITH THE BLUE "X" (even though it is a RED "X" marked email that I have R-Clicked on). Emails with the RED "X" ARE NOT CHANGED AT ALL.

You are correct regarding email with the BLUE "X", there is the option to "Remove Delete Marker", which then removes that specific BLUE "X" delete marker as expected.

Basically there are two options available for the BLUE "X" marked emails: For BLUE "X" marked emails the user can remove that specific BLUE "X" delete marker using "Remove Delete Marker" or remove ALL BLUE "X" delete markers using "Remove All Delete Markers".

However when it comes to EMAILS WITH RED "X" there is only ONE OPTION and that is to "Remove All Delete Markers", BUT RED "X" EMAILS ARE NOT IMPACTED, WHAT THIS OPTION DOES IS REMOVE ALL EMAILS WITH THE BLUE "X" only (NOT the BLUE "X" marked emails as expected).

Below are the two R-Click Email Context menus for the RED "X" and BLUE "X" (notice there is NO option to "Remove Delete Marker" for RED "X" marked emails (for RED "X" emails there is only the option to remove ALL marked emails AND that option actually only removes BLUE "X" marked emails anyway):

RED "X" EMAIL CONTEXT MENU:

PP RClick Context Menu on Email in Inbox v 3.7.jpg
Right-Click Context Menu ON RED X for PP v3.7
PP RClick Context Menu on Email in Inbox v 3.7.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

BLUE "X" EMAIL CONTEXT MENU
:
PP RClick Context Menu for email with blue X for v3.7.jpg
Right-Click Context Menu ON BLUE X for PP v3.7
PP RClick Context Menu for email with blue X for v3.7.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

I understand that the context menus will likely be different for PP v3.8 and I will eventually update PP at some point in the near future. It appears that RED "X" marked emails cannot be changed, at least for v3.7.

I had concluded that RED "X" marked emails cannot be changed at all based on what I've read in this thread up until your post (above).

Jeff - Are you saying that in the NEW PP v3.8 that RED "X" emails WILL have the same options as the BLUE "X" marked emails and will work for appropriate color marked emails instead of just changing BLUE "X" emails in both cases as it stands for PP v3.7? :?:

Thanks to both JRF and Jeff for all the great help as always. :D
lakrsrool

Postby Jeff » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:44 pm

lakrsrool wrote:Are you saying that in the NEW PP v3.8 that RED "X" emails WILL have the same options as the BLUE "X"

No.

As you know, the red-X occurs when the message was deleted outside of POP Peeper AND you have the relevant setting enabled. This is not the default and is buried away; ie. most people will never see the red-X (well... not entirely true; you may see it in the background when there's a message window open).

You cannot get rid of the red-X because it has a special significance; a significance that I cannot think of a good reason to remove -- especially now that PP allows you to archive messages.

Maybe you've already said why, but why do you have red-X messages? There may be a better way to accomplish what you're trying to achieve.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Postby lakrsrool » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 pm

^ Thanks for the reply Jeffs,

That's what I gathered already as far as the RED "X" is concerned and I understand why. The discussion strayed away from the topic which was only about the RED "X" which is why I was asking my question. The reason I leave the RED "X" emails for now is because I am currently monitoring a specific email account for SPAM that has issues in this regard and the fact is that PP serves me well in this regard as far as determining how well my SPAM filter is working. In other words, the way PP handles emails removed as SPAM by placing the RED "X" on that email is fortuitous as far as serving as an aid to determine the efficiency of the SPAM settings so it's a GOOD thing really overall what PP is doing actually.

I was only posting the topic because I had mistakenly removed one email that was not SPAM and was wondering about the possibility of using the context menu to reverse the setting in PP in as much as there is an option available that is listed when R-Clicking on RED "X" emails that would lead one to think it was possible since the option does refer to removing "Delete markers". Perhaps that option should not be available on the context menu for RED "X" marked emails in as much as what happens is that the Blue "X" is what is removed from ALL of those specific emails actually and RED "X" emails remain unchanged even though it is the RED "X" email context menu that is being used. It does appear that the relative context menus are different depending upon what delete marker is right clicked on but the function appears to only impact Blue "X" marked emails in this particular case discussed. Again, that said I understand the efficacy of leaving PP the way it is regarding RED "X" marked emails and I have no problem with that, it was just a question I had is all.

Let me be clear that it's not a big deal at all, again just wondering about this is all

Thanks again so much for your time and help Jeffs. :D
lakrsrool

Return to Discussion