Login Error (Argument(s) missing.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Mitchell

Login Error (Argument(s) missing.

Post by Mitchell »

Hi, there!

Just updated to v4.4 (finally!). All accounts seem to be okay except one, so wondering what I've gone and done wrong. It's funny because I have other yahoo accounts and don't know what's up with this one ...

Error message text is as follows, here below:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
08. xxxxxxxx [0: POP3] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error (Argument(s) missing.)
Does anyone know what will fix this?

Thank you!
mjs

Re: Login Error (Argument(s) missing.

Post by mjs »

Mitchell wrote:... Just updated to v4.4...
Notice that you actually have version 4.3.0 based on the posted Error Information which should instead be the current v4.4.1 release.
LINK: POP Peeper version history.

Please go to the POP Peeper Downloads page to install the current version and report back results (just download the installer and install over the current POP Peeper version you have to see if this helps). If you still have the same problem please edit that specific account and post a screen-shot of the "General" tab information (your account protocol settings appear to be okay).

Where did you download the POP Peeper installer from that you used to install POP Peeper? (this is very important to know why you did not get the current build)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Ah, that's my fault, then. I did an overlay install. I didn't want to have to reinput everything so did what I usually do when dealing with a portable app. All the other accounts are okay, just this one account is giving trouble but it's enough, then, to cause trouble. I'm pretty sure that this is the way I've installed PP before.

p.s., I dl from the proper source, via the page that the app took me to so it's just that it's not a straight install.

I'll report back once I install straight.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'm confused, if you had gone to the "official" Esumsoft POP Peeper Downloads page then as you can see by clicking on the link you must of gotten the v4.4 installer (however this is not what you got when you initially posted "Just updated to v4.4 (finally!)." since you had v4.3 for POP Peeper and all plugins as illustrated in your error info).
Mitchell wrote:p.s., I dl from the proper source, via the page that the app took me to so it's just that it's not a straight install.
Are you sure you got the installer download from the page I linked?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the page the app took me to".... and "it's not a straight install"...

Please post the actual link that you used that installed PP v4.3.
Mitchell wrote:Ah, that's my fault, then. I did an overlay install.... I'll report back once I install straight.
Also as I posted above:
lakrsrool wrote:Please go to the POP Peeper Downloads page to install the current version and report back results (just download the installer and install over the current POP Peeper version you have to see if this helps).
You actually should install "over the current POP Peeper version" ("overlay install" as you put it).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

First off, my sincere apologies. I'm very tired as I've been working 9-11-hour work days for 4 months now (and a couple of 12+ hour days in there), since the end of January, and Sundays is the day I get to rest and prepare for the week ahead so although I'm usually okay, today I'm feeling a tad more exhausted than usual for a Sunday!

I never go to the esumsoft dl page by googling or other, I just get to it by means of PP itself. That's what I meant "I went to the page where the app took me to" (my lack of explanation came from sleep deprivation, sorry! <lol>). I have never dl PP ever from anything other than the official dl page PP goes to when we press on the new version icon in the lower right-hand corner when it appears.

So just before posting just now, I uninstalled everything again and the third try was a more 'traditional' overlay install where I this time just backed up 4.3's folder RAR'ed it, and then installed 4.4 into the renamed 4.3's folder. The only difference from this way and the way I did it before was skipping the step where I install to an empty folder and then making a copy of that folder before uninstalling the app and then going back to the copy and deleting the UNINSTALL.EXE file in it (this is my preferred way for several reasons that I won't bore on with here).

But anyway, did the shorter more traditional overlay install just now.

And the error regarding the missing arguments is still there. Which I thought it might be by now after these couple of tries.

So I'm going to do 2 things next (well, 3, as I obviously have to go sleep some more) - I'm going to re-dl 4.4, the zip version this time as I see that in when I was hazy and half-asleep that I dl the exe version which I normally don't do with apps. Then I'll install to another new copy of the original 4.3's folder. And I'll see if the same error occurs.

[I suspect it may, though. (??)]

I have many yahoo accounts and yet none are giving problems, except this one. How much do I want to bet to myself that I have to go change the interface, or something! Sometimes when there's been a problem with PP and Yahoo, it sometimes is resolved by changing the interface from Classic to New or back again. I forget this fact as it doesn't happen very often.

So I'll go check that account online later tonight and see if it's the interface causing this error (can it ???).

Thanks for the group's patience and indulgence.

Have a great day, in case my nap inadvertently turns into a full night's rest <g>.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Sorry for the misunderstandings (sure sounds like you are working much too hard, I can remember when I did as well so I certainly do understand :wink:), if based on your reference "Just updated to v4.4" means that you just now used the PP download page to install the v4.4 update then I'm at a loss as to how you ended up with v4.3 (perhaps you downloaded the install prior to the v4.4 May 7 release date), but be that as it may I had mentioned the following above:
lakrsrool wrote: Please go to the POP Peeper Downloads page to install the current version and report back results (just download the installer and install over the current POP Peeper version you have to see if this helps). If you still have the same problem please edit that specific account and post a screen-shot of the "General" tab information (your account protocol settings appear to be okay).
If needed we have a topic on how to post screen-shots: How to take a screenshot & attach/insert it into your post.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In case you're still having the problem, Yahoo will report this error (arguments missing) if your password field is empty.