pop peeper crashing on load

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
asquirrel

pop peeper crashing on load

Post by asquirrel »

Had older version of pop peeper which worked with everything but yahoo. Downloaded new SSL plugins. Tried IMAP preset. Tried Yahoo preset. Both failed. Decided to update to newest version. Not available so I have to upgrade to pro version. Pro version converts all my files to the pro data files. I try to load pop peeper. Pop peeper has stopped working error on load. Uninstall pop pepper and reinstall. Same error. So now my email data is gone and I can't access any emails through pop peeper. I've attached a copy of the windows error report file. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Report.txt
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: pop peeper crashing on load

Post by Jeff »

By "older version" I assume you mean v3.x? Do you know where POP Peeper is saving the data files? e.g. is it under:
C:\Users\...
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\data\

If it's saving under C:\Program Files, then what you might try doing is moving
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
to something like:
C:\POP Peeper\

And see if you're able to run POP Peeper from there. Let us know if that works or not.
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Hi Jeff!

I was just able to find an older version of pop peeper and download it. I believe the version I had and the version I downloaded was 3.8.1.

I think I was able to find the old version stuff at:

C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper
pop peeper was modified at 4:51 so I assume this was the directory that was just created with the new download.

and
C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v3
pop peeper version 3 was modified at 4:08 pm

However, I'm not entirely sure.

Should I uninstall pop peeper 3.8.1. and install 4.0 into c:\pop peeper ?

Thanks for your help!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The upgrade process of v4 made this folder as a backup for your v3 data:
> C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v3

Here's what I suggest you do:
1) Exit POP Peeper if it's currently running
2) Rename:
C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper
to:
C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v4
-> This will prevent POP Peeper from finding and trying to load these files (temporarily)

2) Install v4 to a new folder, e.g. c:\POP Peeper\
3) Run v4 just to make sure that it starts up (I don't expect any problem since it won't load any data); don't bother to set it up
4) Exit PP v4
5) Copy a single file:
C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v4\poppeeper.ini
to
C:\POP Peeper\

6) Run v4 -- assuming that it runs successfully, you should see your accounts; however, it won't display any messages.

If this runs successfully, you can have POP Peeper v4 re-download all your messages; alternatively, you can exit POP Peeper and I can provide further instructions on how to try to transfer the messages from your v3 backup. Truth be told, it's probably just easier to allow v4 to download them fresh. If you have any sent or archived messages that you want to transfer, that's completely separate and we can move those manually later without any consequences (let me know if this is the case).

btw, I suspect the reason for the crash is simply that one of the v4 data files got corrupted in the upgrade. It might work simply to try upgrading again, but you'd have to reset the folders. Again, if you want to try that route, let me know and I'll provide instructions for that. The above instructions I provided are simply the most straight-forward instructions that are the most likely to work to get you going again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Oh, and before I forget about it, if that does work and you're content, make sure you go to:
main menu: Tools / Options / General and enable "Run POP Peeper at Windows startup"
if you were using that option before. Since you've installed POP Peeper to a different folder, it will need to know where to look.
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for getting me running with Pop Peeper 4.0! I entered in all my login info and can access my accounts that are in the web mail. Only thing is that I had some messages which were in the old Peeper database that I'd really like to recover if I could. Could you also tell me what I can delete if I'm able to recover my old messages? Thanks! :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Did you copy your old ini file per steps #4-6 above? This file contains all your accounts (including login/password) and other settings, so you shouldn't have needed to do that.

Which messages are you referring to? If you mean messages that were in your inbox, then POP Peeper will simply download them again. POP Peeper cannot import messages from v3, it can only "upgrade" -- meaning, it will turn a v3 .emd file into a v4 .db and you have to start over (well, I mean as far as inbox messages are concerned, not accounts/settings). I just want to make sure we're on the same page with what you're needing to do, because I'm not sure that we are.

Oh, one other thing I forgot #-o -- if you used the address book, this does support import from the old format so is easy to retrieve:
1) Open the address book (should be on your toolbar)
2) menu: File / Import
3) Click the browse button and then go to:
C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v3
and it should find the addrbook.csx file there
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Argh, I missed that instruction about the .ini file being copied over. Well, I did it and immediately got "pop peeper has stopped working" when I try to launch it after I copied over the .ini file. I just deleted it and the program is working again. I guess it's moot since I guess I lost the old messages when I upgraded. I guess I could downgrade back to 3.x but I don't even know what I lost for old messages at this point (the ones that were in the 3x database). Good news is that I got Yahoo working again thanks to you. :)

Can you please tell me everything I can delete in terms of directories, etc. with pop peeper so I don't get confused in the future as to what's what? :) Thanks!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Did you do step 4) Exit PP v4 before you did the file copy in step 5)?

Try exiting POP Peeper and see if this helps as far the current "stopped working" issue. You should be able to get all of your old messages if done correctly as long as the messages were not deleted at some point.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

And I was going to double-check that you did the <ahem> 4 steps before it (I see I had 2x step #2... so the 4 steps I'm referring to are labeled 1-3). Those steps would have voided the data files from being used by the "new" install. If you didn't do that, then PPv4 will still find those data files and that is more of a potential for a crash than the ini file by itself.

As for which directories you can remove -- first, please don't remove any files until we have everything back to normal; it's still possible that we'll need to recover or investigate, etc. Also, it's hard for me to be 100% sure of your folder and file structure since I can't see your computer. But based on my instructions, the following folders shouldn't be in use:
- C:\Users\082914 - I5\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v3\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\

If you wanted to (and this may be a good idea), move those 2 folders to a central location, e.g.
C:\POPPeeperV3-Backup\
That way, they can be easier to access if needed, and we can be sure that nothing is using those files.