Can no longer send email from mail.com accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
leboof

Can no longer send email from mail.com accounts

Post by leboof »

Hi

A couple of days ago I noticed that sent emails from my mail.com accounts (I have several) get stuck in the outbox. There are no timeouts, they just hang there until I abort.

I had to download another email client (oops sorry). The emails sent no problem from this client, but I noticed the outgoing port was 465 not 587 as in Pop Peeper. When I changed Pop Peeper to 465 I was still unable to send emails, and still no timeouts. Not that computer savvy so sorry if I was an idiot here! Now changed back to 597.

I am unable to then collect mail as the outbox tries to send first it seems, so I have to abort the send, delete the outgoing message before I can collect mail. Mail collection I have no problem with incidentally. I logged in manually to my mail.com account on their own web sever wondering if there was anything different or any failed login attempts etc and nothing apparent.

When running an outgoing mail "test selected severs" in Pop Peeper, I get ** Valid (TLS: 587) for smtp.mail.com. There is also a mail.mail.com sever in the list which returns "Unknown Host". Not sure where that has come from!

I have not changed any settings in Pop Peeper for a significant time, this problem has just occurred.

Cheers guys for any help

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.1.0
Webmail: 4.1.0.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
IMAP: 4.1.1.0
SendMail: 4.1.1.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.1.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.1.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.1.1.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 08:07:57 - 08:07:57 (0 s) (+0100)
Data: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 00:07:57 -0700

--- Error ---
*WITHHELD*@mail.com [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.com' (143) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.com' (587) SSL: 0]
Send Mail: Aborted
leboof

Re: Can no longer send email from mail.com accounts

Post by leboof »

Update:

On another account ending in "email.com", testing the server I get a valid response returned as 465. I selected "update" but I am still unable to send any mail.
mjs

Post by mjs »

leboof, are you a Premium Customer with Mail.com?

In the event you are not, according to Mail.com "IMAP is only available to Premium customers" as you can see at the top of the Mail.com Server Settings page by clicking HERE.

Note: Personally I am able to receive Mail.com messages using the same IMAP Server settings in POP Peeper you are using but am however currently unable to send messages using the FREE Mail.com service via POP Peeper.

One thing is that it appears you are not using encryption settings, you might try using STARTTLS (or SSL/TLS) for your Send Mail settings in POP Peeper (as described in the Mail.com settings link above) to see if this might make a difference for you (I'm also surprised to see your incoming messages work without STARTTLS or SSL/TLS however). That said, you may instead of the "Send mail aborted" still get other errors, i.e. "Send Mail: Login Error: Login Id" or "Send Mail: Login Error: Auth Login errors" using a FREE Mail.com account when attempting to send Mail.com messages via POP Peeper. I say this because these are the errors I am getting in POP Peeper when I attempt to send messages from Mail.com accounts.

Let us know if using STARTTLS helps, otherwise I'm afraid that Jeff will need to look into this further regarding sending messages from Mail.com accounts in POP Peeper.

Note: When logged into your Mail.com account on the web using your browser under Settings for POP3 & IMAP you will find the following (click image to enlarge):
Mail.com Settings for POP3 & IMAP.
Mail.com Settings for POP3 & IMAP.
Note: Premium Mail costs are currently either $29.99/year or $3.95/month. :shock:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
leboof

Post by leboof »

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Firstly, changing to SSL/TLS gives me a failure on Login ID, hmm. Tried everything, no luck.

I am particularly interested in the Mail.Com premium comments (and thanks for the screenshot)...
They told users about this some time ago, erm, perhaps even 2 or 3 years ago and I thought my 'free' time was up with them, but it has never been an issue since. Like I say, I have only had this send problem in the last few days. I downloaded Thunderbird to send some emails on my PC as I prefer the PC for speed of typing to the iPhone, and no send issues with Thunderbird. The iPhone has no such issues in sending mail. My Mrs and I share an iPad, no problems there. And she owns a Mac, no problems at all either so this is a strange one.

Sorry to give you a headache! I was hoping a few more users would come forward experiencing the same issue. I've done no updates on the PC recently, no virus checker updates, no software installed.

I very much appreciate your time.
Paul
mjs

Post by mjs »

Considering that I get errors attempting to send messages in POP Peeper using Mail.com as well (albeit different errors), we will need to wait for Jeff to look into this further. To your point regarding using another client, I can report that I'm able to send Mail.com messages using MS Office Outlook 2010 (using POP3 protocol) without any problems. My Mail.com accounts are rarely used and I've never actually sent messages using Mail.com via POP Peeper before now (or for that matter MS Outlook either) so I can't speak to when the errors started or why they occur in POP Peeper unfortunately. :? I tried various POP Peeper settings, but the errors persisted for me when attempting to send messages in POP Peeper from a Mail.com account.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I was able to send via mail.com using any of the 3 SSL settings (ie. none, SSL or TLS; v4.2 equivalent: none, SSL/TLS, STARTTLS; in case there was any confusion over the slightly different naming conventions).

Do you have "server requires authentication" enabled on the "Send Mail" page? It should be enabled.
If it was already enabled, press the "settings" button next to it. If "use same login as incoming" is selected, does it show the full email address for the login name below (grayed-out)? If it does not, then, back out and go to the "general" page and make sure that the "login name" here contains your full email address. If it was already set to the full email address, then try changing the smtp authentication login to "use these settings" and type in your full email address and password. Press OK and see if you're able to send.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

btw, mail.com also tells me that pop3 and imap are exlusive premium features but I'm able to use them, including smtp. I have a very old mail.com account and it's possible that it was grandfathered in?

lakrsrool -- what error do you get when you try to send? And are you using smtp.mail.com? Some time ago, it was recommended to use the gmx.com server addresses instead because it worked when mail.com did not, but now it seems to be the other way around.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hey Jeff,

I don't remember the errors I got before (I recall two different errors at the time), but I was using "mail.com" instead of "gmx.com" because I recall that the latter didn't work and needed to be replaced by the former to get the account to work in the past (which is why I didn't mention this before assuming that the "mail.com" is what it should be set at based on past experience). I even went back to the old topic on this: Re: Mail.com Error to verify this.

Jeff you had posted back on Fri Feb 05, 2016 in reply to my post:
Jeff wrote:d'oh! All this time... I thought I had tested that and it didn't have any effect. But lakrsrool is correct -- setting it from gmx.com to mail.com worked for my account.

The faq for mail.com has been updated.
Okay, since I'm not able to send using the "mail.com" Server I tried switching back to using "gmx.com" but still get errors see below (after all it was GMX that bought Mail.com https://www.mail.com/press/538716-gmx-a ... ilcom.html:
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (143) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmx.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Send Mail: Login Error: Login Id

Also I have had "Server required authentication" enabled and I have had "use same login as incoming" selected with the full address address displayed (gray-out of course). So I tried changing the smtp authentication login to "use these settings" leaving the full email address as is since it is there already.

I still get errors sending see below:
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (143) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmx.com' (587) SSL: 2]

Jeff, am I correct to say that you are using "mail.com", which sends mail successfully for you, and you're not using "gmx.com" ?

So I switched back to using "mail.com" (which is what is supposed to work) and still errors as before (all though I'm only seeing the one error today in each case):
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.com' (143) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.com' (587) SSL: 2]

I am able to receive message without any problems.

I'll post this and continue with trying SSL/TLS instead of STARTTLS that I have the SSL set at currently and post back.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Continued using different SSL protocols ("SSL/TLS" instead of "STARTTLS"):

Using SSL/TLS with "mail.com" server setting (since this is where it was set at last):
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth Login
Server Returned: 421 gmx.com Service closing transmission channel - command timeout (#334)

Using SSL/TLS with "gmx.com" Server setting:
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmx.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error (authentication failed)
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth Login
Server Returned: 421 gmx.com Service closing transmission channel - command timeout (#334)

So here is where the different errors came in that I recall presumably.

I opened this Mail.com account on 9/17/15 (Sept. 17, 2015), FWIW in case grandfathering in older accounts might be a factor. Do you recall when you opened yours Jeff?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Follow-up: I tested my oldest Mail.com account opened on 12/23/14 (Dec 23, 2014) and I get the same "send" problems (so if grandfathering-in is a factor then presumably the time this would take effect would have to pre-date my 12/23/14 start-date presumably):
[1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.com' (143) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.com' (587) SSL: 2]

I'm also getting log-in errors on POP Peeper mail-checks on the account that I had set the Server to use "gmx.com" so it looks like for sure "mail.com" is what is supposed to work if it works at all. Error checking mail: [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmx.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmx.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Login Error (authentication failed)

.... which is similar to the error trying to send mail using "STARTTLS" in any case.

Also FWIW, I should add that in my case I can't really say that Mail.com ever did "send" mail okay in POP Peeper since I have never tried sending mail from Mail.com using POP Peeper until just the past two days (in order to test this situation).

BOTTOM LINE: I've always been able to and still can receive messages for Mail.com accounts in POP Peeper. Also it's worth noting and a bit of a mystery as well that I can send mail from Mail.com accounts (these same accounts btw) using my MS Outlook2010 client (I have mail.com set to use POP3 in the Outlook client). When I tested this yesterday I had tried POP3 in POP Peeper but got same results (unable to "send" in POP Peeper).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, "smtp.mail.com" is what should be used.

The oldest email I have in my mail.com account is from 2003.

I found a couple of other old mail.com accounts and tested them:

oldest email Oct 2009 -- smtp works
oldest email Dec 2012 -- smtp works
oldest email June 06, 2016 -- smtp works. Yup, I just created a new mail.com account and both imap and smtp worked immediately after creating the account and without any adjustments; in PP, I used the "create single account" wizard and the only setting I changed was the password.

Not sure why yours aren't working, maybe try going through the create account wizard (via email address, don't import) and see if the new account allows you to send. If it works in Outlook or any other client, there's no reason it shouldn't work in PP -- I suspect there's some setting you're overlooking or something.
mjs

Post by mjs »

It's good to know it should work. As to adding accounts I have for every one of my 39 accounts in POP Peeper used the "Create single account" wizard and have never used import for any of my accounts.

I deleted the account (which had 23 messages) and added the same account again using the "Create single account" wizard like I've always done, I did not make any protocol setting adjustments of any kind (of course entered correct password) and then did a check mail for that account and the inbox was repopulated with all 23 of the emails as there were before.

I checked all settings and they looked exactly as they did before on the account that I had deleted (refer to attached file comments for additional details):
The "Email Address" and "Login Name" entries are identical which is the full email address of the account.
The "Email Address" and "Login Name" entries are identical which is the full email address of the account.
Mail settings is set to "Use same login as incoming mail server" and I have the full email address and password entered.
Mail settings is set to "Use same login as incoming mail server" and I have the full email address and password entered.
I still get the following error sending mail from this account:
xxxxx [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.com' (143) SSL: 2] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.com' (587) SSL: 2]

What I do to send mail from this account is click the "Compose" button, then select this specific account from the "Account to use for composing" drop-down list, click "OK" button and fill in the recipient account ("To: account" and enter subject) and Click "Send" button.

I can't see what could be wrong in any of the account protocol settings (all Pop Peeper defaults the wizard provides) and IF I'm doing the CORRECT procedure to send from this account (as described just above) then I can't see how the "send" mail should fail based on what you have said. :?

Addendum: I have sent an email with additional "Send Mail" > "SMTP Authentication" Settings.
leboof

Post by leboof »

Hmmm, this is weird fellas, my is working now too and I have changed absolutely nothing! I have checked multiple accounts and they are all working.

I also checked, and I already had Authentication enabled previously.

I guess I'll have to monitor this over the coming days or weeks even. I was beginning to wonder if it was something to do with Replying to emails rather than Compose New, as this is what you guys have been testing a lot, but both are working fine now.

akrsrool & Jeff, I can only thank you for the enormous amount of work and effort you've put in here. Many, many thanks guys and I'll keep you posted, but let's hope I don't have any more problems. Have a great day both, relax, have a beer, give yourself a pat on the back and smile that you've made a guy in England happy today.

Regards
Paul
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yes it is weird, now that you have tried this morning and it worked I tried as well and it is now working for me too. #-o

The message got sent almost instantly and I was happy to see I wasn't seeing the send hang for a couple of minutes and eventually get the error (as has been the case for the last couple of days).

I changed nothing at all from when I made my attempts to send for the last couple of days and tried two different Mail.com accounts, no problems sending anymore. =D> (btw, proof the protocol settings were correct in both of our cases actually)

And what is equally weird is that your in England and I'm in the United States and we have both been having the same problems sending messages using Mail.com accounts at the same time which finally gets fixed somehow this morning for both of us. :roll: Not complaining mind you, just confused. :wink:

I can only conclude that the problem had to be on Mail.com's end. :idea:

Tin hats anyone? :lol:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It certainly sounds like something on their end changed to fix the problem. And, obviously, not all accounts were affected.

What's really weird is that they continue to allow free.... ya know, let's just knock on wood and leave that alone... :-=
leboof

Post by leboof »

Do'h

Can no longer send again for the last 24 hours. This time I get a "Could not connect to SMPT server" error. This time though, PP times out and gives the error. Once again though, Thunderbird works no problem.

Concerned I'm causing you more grief guys but are you having the same problems again lakrsrool?

Urg
mjs

Post by mjs »

Do'h, is right. :lol:

I can't say that I'm having the same problem. Just tested sending from a mail.com account in POP Peeper and it works just fine.

I have to say that it is very odd that you are able to send in TB, but cannot in POP Peeper (but then I recall I was able to send in MS Outlook at the time I had issues #-o). If it were not for this I would say that it was most likely a problem with the Mail.com SMTP Servers in your area.

So the mystery is not only that TB works but that it has been working for a while now in POP Peeper (apparently 3½ days) and assuming you have not made any changes in POP Peeper you now find that POP Peeper can once again no longer send message using your Mail.com account(s). :?

FWI, my SMTP settings are the following:
SMTP for mail dot com.png
The error you are getting ("Could not connect...") is as as if the Server is not responding, but then as you say you can apparently send mail.com messages from TB, so that does not make any sense. :?

I'm curious what you get if you ping "smtp.mail.com"?

In your "Command Prompt" window do the following and see what you get (that is type "ping smtp.mail.com", without quotes, at the Command Prompt as illustrated in the screen-shot below and press return to get results). You might paste your results here in the topic. If you are not familiar with the Command Prompt, the easiest way to get it is to type "cmd" (without quotes) in the lower left Windows Search box (you should see "cmd" at the top of the list under "Programs", if so you can just hit return and the Command Prompt will open). See my results below (click to enlarge):
After typing in ping smtp.mail.com and pressing return, as you can see I'm successfully pinging the server (connected and 0 packets lost). You should get something similar if you are connecting to the SMTP Server.
After typing in ping smtp.mail.com and pressing return, as you can see I'm successfully pinging the server (connected and 0 packets lost). You should get something similar if you are connecting to the SMTP Server.
With the type of POP Peeper error you are getting the likely expectation would be "Destination host unreachable" replies and eventually "Request timed out" errors instead of what I got.

If what you get is similar to what I got, i.e. zero packets lost, then try sending a message using Mail.com in POP Peeper at that time.

Also if you are still getting the error, please post the Error results like you did in your first post.

Thanks.
leboof

Post by leboof »

Hi again, sorry for the delay in replying.

Yeah, don't seem to be getting errors....
Image4321.jpg
... and it's working again this morning.

I guess the next time I have trouble, I'll ping the server and see if I get anything different and post again.

Many thanks lakrsrool.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're very welcome.

The ping results you got just now is emblematic of successful connectivity with mail.com servers which in most cases should not produce the "Could not connect to SMPT server" error you were getting in POP Peeper in that event.

I suspect that you have been recently experiencing random intermittent problems with the mail.com SMTP servers in your area perhaps and yes if this same error occurs again then you could try the same ping to verify server connectivity at the time.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

leboof -- there is one other thing to check:
From POP Peeper's main menu, select Tools / PPtweaker
Select the "Connection" page
The default value for "timeout for SMTP" is 90 seconds.
You might try using a larger value for this, say 180 seconds.

There are certain cases where the default timeout may not be sufficient. For example, if your AntiVirus is scanning outgoing messages, it can require a longer timeout.

However, if it seems not to help, you may want to lower the timeout back to 90; otherwise, PP will just be waiting for 3 minutes for something that may never happen anyway.