Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

Post by mjs »

Dixon Butz wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:
Dixon Butz wrote:I tried IMAP, webmail, and pop 3. Also tried changing my PW. It was a constant error. But turning off focused inbox was an instant fix for all three servers.
What "Server type" did you have the account on when you turned off "focused inbox", presumably the "Server type" you are currently using?
I think it was IMAP. But I am using webmail now since it seems faster.
So then you are saying that the account was "fixed" on IMAP but you still went ahead and changed the account to "webmail" after that? :?

Are you sure :?: (it's not something one would typically do :idea:, I can understand that it's also something one might not totally recall as well :wink:)

This is an important point because "focused inbox" should only impact "Webmail".....
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

lakrsrool wrote:
Dixon Butz wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:What "Server type" did you have the account on when you turned off "focused inbox", presumably the "Server type" you are currently using?
I think it was IMAP. But I am using webmail now since it seems faster.
So then you are saying that the account was "fixed" on IMAP but you still went ahead and changed the account to "webmail" after that? :?

Are you sure :?:

This is an important point because "focused inbox" should only impact "Webmail"..... :wink:
Yes, I always used IMAP with that account. I had some issues with webmail a while ago and Jeff suggested I use IMAP.
So, for the past couple of weeks, I could not get mail in PP.
I changed the focus last night to disabled and that account worked with PP on IMAP finally. I decided to try webmail since that checks mail and deletes mail faster. Works perfectly.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you Dixon for your feedback, much appreciated. Image (I like your cat! :wink: -- Pete has a cat too, I'm envious :mrgreen:)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

lakrsrool wrote:Thank you Dixon for your feedback, much appreciated. Image (I like your cat! :wink: -- Pete has a cat too, I'm envious :mrgreen:)
Buddy passed away in 2002 at the age 12 :(
He was a big cat. 2 of his paws are on a radiator. He couldn't fit on that window sill.
That pic is 20 years old from Andrews AFB.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Dixon Butz wrote:
lakrsrool wrote:Thank you Dixon for your feedback, much appreciated. Image (I like your cat! :wink: -- Pete has a cat too, I'm envious :mrgreen:)
Buddy passed away in 2002 at the age 12 :(
He was a big cat. 2 of his paws are on a radiator. He couldn't fit on that window sill.
That pic is 20 years old from Andrews AFB.
Our Snoopy cat passed away in Dec 2009, he was nearly 17 years old. We got him from the pound at about 10-12 months old, not long after the January 1994 7.2 earthquake in Northridge California (which probably scared him off) that happened on my birthday near where we lived at the time. I still have his picture in my cell phone.
Oh and thank you for your service in the military. Image
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

I turned back on focused inbox just to try it. PP still works with pop3, WM, and IMAP with no errors. IMAP is really slow.
2nd check with IMAP: timed out after 2 min.
3rd and 4th check:
--- Error ---
Msn Doc [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
SSL connection failed

Back to webmail.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Dixon Butz wrote: Back to webmail.
Webmail (Hotmail/Outlook) has proven to be the most successful with POP3 a close second... IMAP is the problem child right now. :wink: That said, the PP alpha builds have clearly been a significant improvement in this regard.
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

Another data point to consider: I've been getting some recent new emails via IMAP PopPeeper (4.3) & Outlook.com that indicate that they've already been viewed, even though they have NOT been previously viewed, either via web browser or by any other means.
mjs

Post by mjs »

rvail317 wrote:Another data point to consider: I've been getting some recent new emails via IMAP PopPeeper (4.3) & Outlook.com that indicate that they've already been viewed, even though they have NOT been previously viewed, either via web browser or by any other means.
Thank you for that information, please report back if any of these messages change on their own from the current "read" (viewed) back to "unread" (not viewed). Also, to clarify, I'm assuming you are seeing the same messages flagged as "read" (viewed) when logging into the account on the web the same as they are in POP Peeper.
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

lakrsrool wrote:
Dixon Butz wrote: Back to webmail.
Webmail (Hotmail/Outlook) has proven to be the most successful with POP3 a close second... IMAP is the problem child right now. :wink: That said, the PP alpha builds have clearly been a significant improvement in this regard.
PP alpha 4.4.x has been a HUGE improvement in terms of eliminating the "Error (Send)" issue in retrieving headers, but there are still a lot of errors retrieving message bodies. So... a step forward, but it seems the folks at Outlook still need to be motivated to fix things on their end... somehow... [-o<
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

Another instance of "Read" vs. "Not Read": a Hotmail.com email was initially opened and read via a web browser.
Afterwards, in Pop Peeper, the email header was again bolded to indicate "Not Read".
Shouldn't PopPeeper then show it to be: unbolded, to indicate that it was already opened and read?
Even though it was initially opened and read via web browser?
mjs

Post by mjs »

rvail317 wrote:Another instance of "Read" vs. "Not Read": a Hotmail.com email was initially opened and read via a web browser.
Afterwards, in Pop Peeper, the email header was again bolded to indicate "Not Read".
Shouldn't PopPeeper then show it to be: unbolded, to indicate that it was already opened and read?
Even though it was initially opened and read via web browser?
Thanks for posting rvail317.

You have said the message was initially read in the web browser, so to clarify - this time you did not find the message already "read" but instead you did read the message via the web browser?

And is this the same IMAP account as before and do you have IDLE enabled for this account?

To answer your question, POP Peeper should at all times reflect what is currently observed in the accounts inbox using the web browser.

Which leads to a couple more questions: what do you currently see now for that same message in the web browser (that you have said is "not read" in POP Peeper)?

And most importantly; had you observed this same message as "read" (unbolded) in POP Peeper before you observed it as it is now "not read" (bolded)?
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

At the moment, I'm getting the yellow bang error for Hotmail: send.
Outlook.com emails are okay, for now: no yellow bang errors there.
The header in PP still IS bolded (not read), while via the web browser is NOT bolded (read).
I haven't yet double-clicked, to open and read the email from within PP.
Summary: PP is getting the headers ("subject") okay, but the read/not read data component is faulty.
Via the web browser always functions totally correctly and without error.
For the last week or two, PP gives intermittent yellow bang errors: sometimes for outlook.com, sometimes for hotmail.com, sometimes for both, sometimes for neither one.
Last edited by rvail317 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Did you happen to check this account for all the messages that this account has in the POP Peeper inbox? And if so, did you notice whether all of the messages were marked as "unread" (bolded) for this specific account at the time?

What do you mean by "header"?

In the main PP interface what is either bolded or unbolded to represent unread or read, respectively is the information in the inbox for the account, is this what you mean?

Have you observed the messages in this account changing back to "read" (unbolded) on their own?

And finally again, is this account an IMAP account using IDLE?
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

lakrsrool wrote: Have you observed the messages in this account changing back to "read" (unbolded) on there own?
The unbolded status never changes back to bolded.
If an email is read via web browser, the staus changes correctly (still via web browser) from unread to read.
However, PP is failing to show that read/unread status correctly, as it normally should.
If the yellow bang error goes away for a while, then the read/unread status eventually corrects itself.
lakrsrool wrote:What do you mean by "header"?
By "header" I mean the "Subject".
Last edited by rvail317 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

rvail317 wrote:
lakrsrool wrote: Have you observed the messages in this account changing back to "read" (unbolded) on there own?
No, the unbolded status never changes back to bolded.
To clarify (because I'm confused by the last comment), you have said that the POP Peeper Inbox has the message as bolded (unread), so you have not observed POP Peeper changing the message back on it's own (perhaps after a Mail Check) to unbolded (read)?

And so if that is true then the message remains as bolded (unread)?

And you have not noticed all messages changing to bold (unread)?

And is this account an IMAP account using IDLE?
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

lakrsrool wrote:
rvail317 wrote:
No, the unbolded status never changes back to bolded.
To clarify (because I'm confused by the last comment), you have said that the POP Peeper Inbox has the message as bolded (unread), so you have not observed POP Peeper changing the message back on it's own (perhaps after a Mail Check) to unbolded (read)?

And so if that is true then the message remains as bolded (unread)?

And you have not noticed all messages changing to bold (unread)?

And is this account an IMAP account using IDLE?
If the yellow bang error is present (such as now with hotmail), then the problems start happening.
If the yellow bang error goes away for a while, the errors self-correct.
IMAP is the account setting for both outlook.com & hotmail.com.
Please explain: "using IDLE"?
Edit: if you meant: "Is the IDLE/Push box checked?", the answer is: yes.
mjs

Post by mjs »

rvail317 wrote: Please explain: "using IDLE"?
Edit: if you meant: "Is the IDLE/Push box checked?", the answer is: yes.
Yes that is what I mean as illustrated here:
IDLE enabled.png
Thanks again for all the feedback you have provided. Image
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

rvail317 wrote:Another data point to consider: I've been getting some recent new emails via IMAP PopPeeper (4.3) & Outlook.com that indicate that they've already been viewed, even though they have NOT been previously viewed, either via web browser or by any other means.
Out of curiosity -- do you have read-sync enabled? This is under:
main menu: Tools / pptweaker / misc; option on bottom

I'm not sure I would suggest enabling it now, as PP would need to sync them and the server issues could cause issues. But if it's not already enabled, that might explain what you've seen.

[edit] After reading the subsequent posts, it certainly sounds like your PP does not have read-sync enabled. My main concern with enabling it and telling PP to sync TO the server, is that failed attempts during the process might not have the results you want... But if you really don't care about the read status of your current messages, then it should be ok; although I'd probably recommend syncing FROM the server as this will be the most likely to succeed.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

CenturyBreak wrote: PP alpha 4.4.x has been a HUGE improvement in terms of eliminating the "Error (Send)" issue in retrieving headers, but there are still a lot of errors retrieving message bodies. So... a step forward, but it seems the folks at Outlook still need to be motivated to fix things on their end... somehow... [-o<
Thanks for reporting that -- I checked specifically on retrieving messages and did find some room for improvement, especially if you had any errors like
"Command received in Invalid state" as this could occur in a specific situation on a "retry" attempt.