Saving/Uploading Sent mail to IMAP....

maxsverdlove

Saving/Uploading Sent mail to IMAP....

Post by maxsverdlove »

Jeff,

It's been a while since we've chatted!

Just downloaded the beta. Nice work!

I'm enjoying the updates to the interface with respect to the links to load images and the anti-junk in the message view window. Also like that I can switch back to the main window without closing.

Is there a way to upload all of the sent items to the IMAP account automatically, or do I have to go through and upload one by one...

Also, are sent messages automatically going to the sent folders? Where is that option, if there is one...
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "saving/uploading" to subject for clarification
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Sent mail to IMAP....

Post by Jeff »

You can upload the messages in a batch. Just select all the messages you want to upload in file explorer and drag them onto the PP account you want to copy to; you can also drag additional batches of files after the PP window initially pops up.

Sent messages are not automatically saved. It's a per-account setting: Edit the account, select the "Send mail" page and enable "imap: copy to server's sent folder"

Expect this to change a little, probably in beta19... Accounts will have the options of "use-default / Save / Don't save" and then there will be a global setting to affect all "use-default" accounts. The dilemma will be finding room to squeeze that option onto the Options / Send mail page...
maxsverdlove

Post by maxsverdlove »

ah cool...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:02 pm Expect this to change a little, probably in beta19... Accounts will have the options of "use-default / Save / Don't save" and then there will be a global setting to affect all "use-default" accounts. The dilemma will be finding room to squeeze that option onto the Options / Send mail page...
Yep -- that page is already really crowded -- perhaps a "Send Mail 2" page for "Advance IMAP settings -- of which these settings would apply specifically to IMAP). :idea:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
maxsverdlove

Post by maxsverdlove »

Just realized, I have most of mine set to POP... Guess it's time to switch to IMAP... lol
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, POP3 doesn't support uploading messages (or much of anything else). Some POP3 servers will save your sent messages automatically to the 'sent' folder. That's completely up to the service, though, because there's absolutely nothing that the client (POP Peeper) can do about it.

Well, here's what I've done on the Options page; I've done a little rearranging besides adding the option (3rd one down). I'm not sure I really want to add a 2nd page for this. I could probably nix the "save outgoing messages" option altogether (force it enabled). I think the idea at what time was to make PP be able to use virtually no files at all (for public-computer/security reasons); but somebody sending a message without enabling that option is probably asking for problems (which results in avoidable tech support). But that's just me thinking out loud... what do you guys think, too crowded or acceptable?
PPv5_DefaultSaveSent.png
maxsverdlove

Post by maxsverdlove »

I think it looks fine...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Doesn't look too crowded at all -- and I'd say you've picked the best location to add the function. Image

Addendum: and those couple other functions you moved down lower on the page look better down below too. =D>
Last edited by mjs on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add Addendum comment
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This will be included in b19, so if you have a lot of accounts, you may want to wait so that all you have to do is flip a single switch.

In case there's any curiosity, the reason that PP defaults to "don't save sent" is because I assume most people still use POP Peeper as a way to send quick email, and they don't necessarily need or want to cause additional bandwidth to upload the message to the imap server.

But that may be a false perception not based on any anecdotal evidence, so it's possible I could change that default if I have reason to think otherwise. And, for the record, I do save the messages that I send.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Jeff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm In case there's any curiosity, the reason that PP defaults to "don't save sent" is because I assume most people still use POP Peeper as a way to send quick email, and they don't necessarily need or want to cause additional bandwidth to upload the message to the imap server.

But that may be a false perception not based on any anecdotal evidence, so it's possible I could change that default if I have reason to think otherwise. And, for the record, I do save the messages that I send.
I think there should be another consideration - Gmail, which might be the most used e-mail provider, saves sent messages on its own, whether its users like it or not. If Gmail does it, its competitors might too. I'm not even sure what will happen if you try to save PP's sent messages while Gmail does too.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Saving/Uploading Sent mail to IMAP....

Post by Jeff »

As I was writing that before, I was thinking that Outlook automatically saved sent messages. It was a while ago that I tested it and I just don't remember the results as to whether it accounted for a possible duplicate sent message being uploaded via imap or not. I would think it would be a significant problem since most imap clients will upload a copy that it would need to be accounted for; but I'll try to test that again sometime.