Will IMAP Upload keep the original dates?

lwc

Will IMAP Upload keep the original dates?

Post by lwc »

lwc wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:26 am I have to admit my main selling point for v5 is IMAP Upload, which is something I need only maybe once every few months at best.
v5 is still not here, but I struggle with myself whether to buy a whole program just for that.
I usually use free apps, so for me buying a software is a big thing, and I already have Plus Pack. =D>

So far I've been using IMAPSize but it's so old that it doesn't even support OAuth! It's open source in theory, but in practice no one cares enough to take over this program. So usually I enable Gmail's support for non safe e-mail apps just for the 5 minutes in which I use the program. But with time Gmail will probably cancel support for that feature for free users, like it already announced it will for G Suite users.
IMAPSize has another major flaw, not as life shortening as not supporting Oath, but one that prevents it from being used in a massive scale:
the uploaded messages get the date of the upload, not of the messages' themselves!
For example, if today you upload a message from 2014, it will be treated in Gmail, etc. as if it arrived/sent today and not in 2014.
If you actually enter the message in Gmail, you'll see the headers state 2014, but Gmail ignores them.

This is because there's also something called "internal date". If you used PHP, all it would take is for the upload process to put the original date inside imap_append's $internal_date and bingo, Gmail treats the message like it arrived/sent in 2014.

Which is it in PP v5?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Will IMAP Upload keep the original dates?

Post by Jeff »

I checked, and uploading via PP did the same thing. "Did" -- I've updated it for beta 19 so gmail.com will show the original date.

Interestingly, I noticed the following behavior from gmail:
1) uploaded a file in which gmail would show the current time
2) deleted the message from gmail
3) made the change in PP
4) re-uploaded the same message

-> gmail showed the message with the timestamp of the first upload (which was like 3 hours earlier) :-k
lwc

Post by lwc »

Jeff wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:11 pm 2) deleted the message from gmail
From Trash too?
lwc

Post by lwc »

Jeff, did you try deleting from Trash too?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Probably not. You're probably right that was the reason, it was just surprising at the time, but I had plenty of other emails to test with.