Search Field Background Color

Protocol

Search Field Background Color

Post by Protocol »

I've been messing around with themes, but it seems that you can't change the light blue background in the search field.
Or can you? 😕
mjs

Re: Search Field Background Color

Post by mjs »

To my knowledge the color of the search box remains static -- so it is just about the only color that cannot be changed in regards to themes as far as I'm aware. (I had at some point thought about this one thing -- but in the end didn't bring it up because I didn't think it to be really that important :|)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Hi lakrsrool.

The reason it came to mind was because I was messing with themes and the light blue looked a bit odd amongst the other colors.
If it cannot be easily changed by the user, then maybe a white background would fit better into most themes. Just a thought.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Except that the present color of the search box does coordinate well with the Cornflower Blue theme I use. :lol:

That aside, I'll concede your point to some extent however. (that is -- while there are likely a number of themes the colors will blend well enough -- there are others not so much, admittedly)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

My guess is that the thought process as far as the color Jeff came up with to use for the Search Box would have to do with considering POP Peeper's Default Theme as a starting point (as illustrated in the screen-shot below).
Click on screen-shot image to enlarge to improve viewing (use browser back arrow to exit larger screen-shot and return to forum topic)
Click on screen-shot image to enlarge to improve viewing (use browser back arrow to exit larger screen-shot and return to forum topic)
Notice the "Default" Theme color scheme -- the Search Box as a light blue color contrasts well against the white background it is positioned at as opposed to white on white (as suggested) in which case with everything white the Search Box would arguably appear insignificant.

Addendum: There was after all a time when (before themes) the current "Default Theme" was the only color scheme. :wink:
Last edited by mjs on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add addenum comment
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

#-o
I have to admit, I never noticed this...

So I've added this:

Code: Select all

# Main_Searchbox: Fallback to internal values
# Text1 is text that the user types; Text2 is the empty text ("Search <Ctrl+K>")
[Main_Searchbox]
Text1 = 0 0 0
Text2 = 112 112 112
Back = 208 240 255
Sample:
PPv5_Theme_SearchboxBloodMoon.png
PPv5_Theme_SearchboxBloodMoon.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 21666 times

This will be in b22; b21 has already been built and will be released today or tomorrow. And b20 was scrapped in case you didn't see the MOTD.

I also fixed a minor issue with the background color bleeding over the left white edge, which occurred when the text is in italics (ie. Search <Ctrl+K>). I barely noticed it with the light blue, but it really stood out when I tested with that pink.
mjs

Post by mjs »

So then I take it -- what this means is that the Search box will color coordinate with the Theme color in a way that the Search box will be a lighter shade of what the color is within the proximity of the Search box (if that makes sense how I've worded it :))
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

No, you have to specify the colors using the values mentioned above. Otherwise, you'll get the light blue default.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Got it -- thanks Jeff.

Then all current optional themes will continue to have the blue (default) color for the Search box -- and it will be the prerogative of the user to change the color if they so desire.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Now that's better.
If you are going to make themes editable, then you may as well include everything. 😃

Thanks guys...
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Is this now implemented?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 am Is this now implemented?
Not yet -- it will be implemented in the next beta22 release (we are currently still on beta21).
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

OK. Thanks lakrsrool.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 am Is this now implemented?
Yes - it is now using beta22 :wink:

My mistake (beta22 is not yet released to everyone) -- please refer to this post by Jeff regarding the expected release of beta22: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7445#p38146
Last edited by mjs on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add additional comments regarding the beta22 release
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:08 pm #-o
I have to admit, I never noticed this...

So I've added this:

Code: Select all

# Text1 is text that the user types; Text2 is the empty text ("Search <Ctrl+K>")
[Main_Searchbox]
Text1 = 0 0 0
Text2 = 112 112 112
Back = 208 240 255
Sample:
PPv5_Theme_SearchboxBloodMoon.png

This will be in b22; b21 has already been built and will be released today or tomorrow. And b20 was scrapped in case you didn't see the MOTD.

I also fixed a minor issue with the background color bleeding over the left white edge, which occurred when the text is in italics (ie. Search <Ctrl+K>). I barely noticed it with the light blue, but it really stood out when I tested with that pink.
I couldn't get RGB colors to work, but hex is working.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol - it works for me either way.

I was previously using HEX and switched to RGB (see second code iteration below) to test for this - by commenting out the HEX and using RGB below and I get the same results as I did using HEX (FYI as a point of reference: in this example the comment function "#" isn't really necessary in this example because the RGB code at the end would replace the HEX anyway simply because that is the last code that gets implemented due to the order of the code. I included the comment character "#" for illustrative purposes however an argument can be made to always include the comment character "#" to maintain clarity of purpose :wink:)

[Main_Searchbox]
#Text1 = #FFFFFF
#Text2 = #FFFFFF
#Back = #787366

Text1 = 255 255 255
Text2 = 255 255 255
Back = 120 115 102

Screen-shot either way (using the former "HEX" or the latter "RGB"):
Example Search color using either RGB or HEX equal same result.png
Example Search color using either RGB or HEX equal same result.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 21408 times
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Thanks lakrsrool.

I tried for a while, but couldn't get it to change.
Maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right. 🤐
mjs

Post by mjs »

So is the RBG working OK now?
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I haven't revisited the RGB yet.

I have 2 questions about the theme though.

1. Where is the "All Accounts" color located?
2. Can I remove the blank white column on the right?

See arrows in the image below.
PP Theme.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

1. Where is the "All Accounts" color located?
Ans: The color of that drop-down box is fixed (cannot be changed).
2. Can I remove the blank white column on the right?
Ans: Yes -- this is a blank (unused) area that you can cover by extending your various column sizes to the right to cover the blank unused area (that you've pointed out). This is done by placing your cursor at one or more of the column break points (location where column changes from one column to another) at which time you will get a cursor pointer than changes to a horizontal bar with arrows pointing in both the right-left directions) - when your cursor pointer changes to this alternate pointer you can then extend any one of the columns by dragging that column end point in either direction (in this case to the right would be what you want) so that the blank area is covered. I would advise adjusting each of your columns (likely to the right) so that you have a good balance as far as what is optimally observed in the Inbox for each column making sure that the last "size" column reaches to the end so that blank area you've pointed out is used.

Example of Columns more or less optimally positioned:
Example of Columns optimally positioned.png
Example of Columns optimally positioned.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 21392 times
Note: if you are selecting for a specific account (in that drop-down box you've mentioned) then most likely you will have a different amount of columns (very likely less) -- so that blank area will display to the right once again. This is to be expected in this case. You'll want to adjust the columns when displaying "All Accounts" since this is what you will be using virtually all the time.

If you have any questions -- don't hesitate to ask. :wink: