Deleting Messages

mistertee2

Deleting Messages

Post by mistertee2 »

Hello, I've installed the latest beta, replacing my V4 version. Sometimes when I select message(s) for deletion, they don't delete. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I select an individual message or select several. It seems like I can only make them delete by fully exiting PP and then restarting. In this case, they are gone when the program reopens. Oddly, it is an intermittent problem, meaning it does work as expected sometimes. I do have the options set for immediate deletion. Am I missing something in my settings or is this a bug? I'm very familiar with PP as I've used it for many years.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Deleting Messages

Post by Jeff »

You probably have a view-message window open in the background; and these messages are probably marked with a red-X in the '!' column. Just close all your view-message windows and the deleted messages will be removed.

This is actually the same behavior as v4 (that is, PP won't remove messages from the list until the view-message window is closed), but it has more relevance now that you can access the main window while a view-message window is open.
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

That was it!
it has more relevance now that you can access the main window while a view-message window is open.
I hadn't realized this. Should be good to go now. Thanks!
mjs

Post by mjs »

In my opinion the way this works makes sense -- that is PP Inbox messages that are still open in a view-message window hence still being accessed and/or read should not be deleted under these circumstances. On the other hand however, it is logical that the message(s) will ultimately be deleted upon the closure of the view-message window(s) because of the fact the user would at that time presumably be done with the message(s). :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

I'd probably agree.
in my opinion the way this works makes sense -- that is PP Inbox messages that are still open in a view-message window hence still being accessed and/or read should not be deleted under these circumstance...
Thinking back on it, I didn't realize that several messages were open at the same time. But now that I understand it, I like the feature.
mjs

Post by mjs »

mistertee2 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:04 pm ... But now that I understand it, I like the feature.
Me too! Image
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's an update on this behavior which will be in b23; more details posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7453#p38209

I'm not 100% committed to this change, so please let me know if you find the new behavior better or not.
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

I'm not 100% committed to this change, so please let me know if you find the new behavior better or not.
I'll look forward to checking the forthcoming update in b23. However, having reached an understanding of this behavior in b22 I'm in favor of keeping it. I'll definitely post a comment re b23 once I've had a chance to experiment.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I agree, when you realize what it's doing, it's probably fine. But too many people have reported confusion regarding it and that's never a good sign. For people (like me) who never use the next/previous buttons, the change made in b23 is probably only a positive thing; but I'm concerned that people who *do* use next/previous might lose something that they've come to rely on.

Anyway, b23 is now available, so you can either wait for PP to prompt you (up to 24 hours), or you can go to Help / About and press the "check version" button to force the prompt.
mistertee2

Post by mistertee2 »

Anyway, b23 is now available
Just checking in re Vb23. All of the features I normally use are working well. Regarding previously mentioned issues/confusion when several messages are open, I do like the revised behavior in b23. With the upcoming "5" being a major version, I'm not surprised to see useful new functionality such as this.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it worked out for you!

Yes, the change from a "modal" window to a "modeless" window was a major change because there was so much code that expected certain behavior when a view-message window was open. And I think that this new-new behavior (removing messages from the list in a more expected pattern) is a better approach.