Messages not getting "read" if one is open

KnightLord

Messages not getting "read" if one is open

Post by KnightLord »

Jeff,

I installed the beta a few hours ago and have been playing with it.
I am using 5.0 Beta 22 on a Windows 64 machine.

So far I only saw two issues. This is the 2nd.

ISSUE #2
If I open a message to view it, then close it, it shows as READ and disappears from the main view as expected.
However, if I leave this message open for some reason and go back to the main screen and keep processing the other messages, then they change status but do not disappear automatically. Let me know if does not make sense I can record a quick video showing it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Messages not getting "read" if one is open

Post by Jeff »

This is expected behavior and is similar to this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7448

Basically, POP Peeper won't remove any messages from the list until all view-message windows are closed.

I'm going to re-examine this behavior, though. Too many people have reported it as unexpected behavior and I'd be lying if I said it didn't catch me off-guard in one of the early alphas. The behavior has its reasons beyond mere "that's what I wanted it to do" so I can't guarantee that it will change for v5.0.
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

Gotcha. Thanks for this feedback also.
Honestly, I haven't seen any other issue. All working extremely well so far.

The only extra comment I would make has to do with how the default dark mode looks (based on Windows).
But this is not a bug - it's just subjective. I thought it was too black so I changed back to the standard white look.
Maybe it's just about getting used of POP Peeper changing after all these years! :)

Great job!!!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Try POP Peepers "Dark Theme" instead of "Windows Dark" theme as the former is a little less stark black (or there's another 150+ themes to choose from as well :wink:).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

I will try others. THANKS, Jeff. As I said, you rock!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Basically, POP Peeper won't remove any messages from the list until all view-message windows are closed.

I'm going to re-examine this behavior, though. Too many people have reported it as unexpected behavior and I'd be lying if I said it didn't catch me off-guard in one of the early alphas. The behavior has its reasons beyond mere "that's what I wanted it to do" so I can't guarantee that it will change for v5.0.
As promised, I looked into this and made some changes. As long as the affected message(s) are not currently open, the message will be removed from the list. This should affect all reasons why a message should be removed (e.g. if the message was deleted, or removed from the server, or you're using "hide read", etc.).

Unfortunately, this does have consequences that affects long-standing behavior: if you use "hide read" (for example), and then use the "next" button and then realize you weren't ready to do that and then use "previous" to go back -- well, that message has now been removed, so the "previous" message is no longer the same message.

I did consider a potential solution to this: each view-message window would remember which messages you had viewed and would only hide those messages once you've closed that window. But then we're right back where we started with wondering why certain messages in the list haven't been removed, so I didn't bother even testing that.

So let me know if anyone has any suggestions that might work.

The new change will be in the next update (b23) and is expected to be available later today (depending on your personal update cycle).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

KnightLord wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:30 pm The only extra comment I would make has to do with how the default dark mode looks (based on Windows).
But this is not a bug - it's just subjective. I thought it was too black so I changed back to the standard white look.
Maybe it's just about getting used of POP Peeper changing after all these years! :)
There are 2 dark themes installed by default: "Dark Theme" and "Windows Dark". I consider "Dark theme" the "default" dark theme because that's the one that will be used when you're using Windows 10 "dark mode." So, just to clarify, which one were you referring to, or do you consider both of them too dark?

Personally, the main thing I didn't like about the "dark" themes in general is that they tend to change the background color of the message/account lists, which has the necessary side-effect of changing the account colors which I've gotten used to over the past 20 years (ok, technically, coming up on 19) -- which is why I added the extra options to force it to a "light" color (or specify your own, which has existed for a long time). And now I prefer the dark themes and keeping my original account colors (it may be relevant that at around the same time, I also started using Win10 dark mode).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

b23 is now available, so you can either wait for PP to prompt you (up to 24 hours), or you can go to Help / About and press the "check version" button to force the prompt.
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

Hey Jeff,

So, yes the new beta addresses the "read" message and it's working great. Thanks, man. :)

On the dark mode issue, it's like you said... In order to use it I would need to change the other colors, etc.
I like to have Windows using the dark theme overall, but I don't really like for instance to have e-mail messages completely black.
I think it actually makes it harder to read than a lighter color.
Ultimately, it's just a preference thing.
But what I am glad here is that POP Peeper allows us to change and customize it with different themes - that's a killer feature :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That's what the settings below the list of themes address; ie.
Message list background
View/compose background

That way, you can use whatever (dark) theme you want, without affecting the windows that you interact with the most. Here are my settings:
PPv5_Theme_SubSettings.png
PPv5_Theme_SubSettings.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 16009 times
As you can see, I like my main message list to stick with a "light" color so that my account colors don't change. This doesn't necessarily result in a "white" background, but with the "dark theme" this ends up being a very light gray. If I wanted white, I could use "windows default" or "specify color"

For the view/compose windows, I've stuck with the theme colors, which is white text on a black background. But this is why I separated these 2 options instead of forcing them to be the same -- We may agree on the same choice for the message list, but I prefer the white on black for reading/writing, and you'd prefer black on white.

So you could set your "message list background" = "light color" and "view/compose background" = "match message list". Or whatever you want, but it sounds like the colors that you don't like can be changed, which is exactly why those extra options are there.
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

It makes total sense, Jeff.
I changed it to match your suggestion and it looks a lot better now.
I loved the fact you allows us to change both aspects of it independently. This give us a lot more customization options.
Once again, all I have to say is that I LOVE POP Peeper and all commitment you put to this.
Thanks a lot for the tips.