Can receive email, but cannot send

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
MrPhil

Can receive email, but cannot send

Post by MrPhil »

Hello.

I have PopP pro v4.2.2

I can receive email, but I cannot send. I'm configured to use the same credentials as sending email as used in downloading email. I'm receiving error code #535 and have subsequently received cannot connect to smtp server.

in my settings-send mail: send option: SMTP; SMTP server: SMTP.Frontier.com; ssl/tls; port 465
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from EMAIL sub-forum to POP Peeper sub-forum as issue(s) presented are of PP Tech Support nature.
spc3rd

Re: Can receive email, but cannot send

Post by spc3rd »

Hello MrPhil,

Sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. So that the The Esumsoft Team can better assist you, we need a bit more information, in particular, the complete text of the error messages you are receiving in POP Peeper.

The following Sticky provides instructions on how to obtain and include this information in your next reply:

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post

Other Team members will also be reviewing your topic and provide their respective feedback.

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
MrPhil

Post by MrPhil »

Hello Pete,

It appears that my SMTP server had the name of my ISP (SMTP.Frontier.com) changed. Up until today it worked fine. I had to change the server address to smtp.mail.yahoo.com

The issue was now resolved (and appears to explain why I couldn't log into the smtp server, beforehand).

Thank you for getting back to me as soon as you did.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

You're quite welcome.

Thanks very much for posting back to let us know your issue has been resolved!
If you experience any further problem, feel free to let us know.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Global Moderator
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,
I am having this problem with all three of my Yahoo accounts for the last two days. Can receive mail, but cannot send.
I had switched all my Yahoo accounts some months back from Webmail to IMAP due to login issues, as I recall.

Tonight, I upgraded my Webmail and tested switching one of the accounts to Webmail and it works fine for login and for sending mail, so now this is seems to be an IMAP issue. Has the Yahoo smtp server changed?

Thanks,
Ross

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.1.0
Webmail: 4.4.9.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
YahooOrg [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Could not connect to SMTP server
mjs

Post by mjs »

My guess is this is a temporary error in your case.

I just tested sending via Yahoo using IMAP with these settings for Send Mail:
Using the same settings as you are using for "Send Mail".
Using the same settings as you are using for "Send Mail".
and I have no issues sending.

So this was for you a persistent error using IMAP for two consecutive days? :shock:

It should not and does not typically make a difference, but you could try using STARTTLS for the SSL encryption setting which will change the outgoing port to 587 to see if this helps for now. (if the IMAP send errors remain persistent, then as you say there is always Webmail as a last resort. :wink:)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Since the problem has been occurring over multiple days and no one else has reported a similar problem, there's likely something on your end that's blocking the port. If you're using an AntiVirus or any other security-related program, make sure that port 465 is setup correctly. Some AV's need to be setup specifically to support the encrypted ports.
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,
I tried STARTTLS and it failed with:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.1.0
Webmail: 4.4.9.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
YahooOrg [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Failed to Process TLS Socket (certificate failed: certificate has expired (10))

You mentioned it might be something on my end only since no on else is reporting it. Well, wonderful Microsoft did a massive forced update of my Windows 10 system that took 100 minutes a few days ago. Maybe they turned on some port blocking stuff. I will do some research on that. I'll use Webmail in the interim.

Thanks,
Ross
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

- Send Mail: Failed to Process TLS Socket (certificate failed: certificate has expired (10))
This particular issue should be fixed by updating to POP Peeper v4.4.2. In fact, the only change from your version to v4.4.2 is:
"Fix: certificates that have expired (or not valid yet) won't be imported; this was causing "certificate has expired" errors for certain servers (e.g. Yahoo) when multiple matching certificates were in the Windows certificate store"

You can download v4.4.2 here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/download/

The Windows Update very likely *did* cause the above error (I'm not sure why, but it seems that updating Windows often includes an expired certificate where previous versions of Windows did not). Whether it's related to the error you had with SSL, I'm not sure; if you're up for it, I might like you to test it, but let's make sure that v4.4.2 works first.
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the info. I did upgrade to 4.4.2.

I realize that on Saturday I made a mistake/omission in my change to STARTTLS. I had only changed it for incoming. Tonight I changed it for outgoing and it worked.

When I last posted on Saturday, I had changed one of my three Yahoo accounts to Webmail and it worked.
Today, Webmail does not work.

--- Error ---
Yahoo [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (143) SSL: 2] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Error (-60)

SSL/TLS does not work

--- Error ---
Yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Could not connect to SMTP server

Saturday I also tried using Mozilla Thunderbird and it had no problems. I checked its settings and it uses smtp.mail.yahoo.com, so I don't know why it would work and PP would not.

Today, Thunderbird does not work. Not sure if there's a way to change it -- not your problem.

I did some digging on Windows 10 firewall port blocking and tried setting up a rule to allow outbound connections to port 465. But it did not work.

Any idea why The connection works for PP to smtp.mail.yahoo.com for STARTTLS - port 587, but not to SSL/TLS - port 465?

Thanks,
Ross
mjs

Post by mjs »

The reason you were getting this error sending mail:
--- Error ---
Yahoo [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (143) SSL: 2] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Send Mail: Error (-60)
is because when you use Webmail (Server type = "Yahoo") you have to still leave the "Send Mail" set to SMTP, you had the "Send Mail" page set to use "Webmail" based on your Error Overview information and this is the specific error you will get in this case (see screen-shot below):
Set Send Mail to SMTP.png
To resolve this specific error the "Send Mail" page would need to change from "Webmail" (the way you had it when you got the error) to "SMTP" (as illustrated above) for "Send Mail" to work, this setting (SMTP) should now be automatic when switching protocols.... Did you go to this "Send Mail" page and manually change it to "Webmail" thinking that you would need to do this if you are using Webmail (Server type = "Yahoo") in the (General tab) for incoming messages?

As far as the IMAP send mail issue, I just tested what you had as far as using SSL/TLS on Port 465 and I was able to send without any problems. You still may have some software possibly blocking that Port, otherwise this error can randomly occur at times but it certainly should not be a persistent error which would suggest something is perhaps interfering.

FYI - using STARTTLS on port 587 that is working for you is just as good as using SSL/TLS on port 465 so it's not anything to really be concerned about by simply leaving the outgoing set to the STARTTLS encryption protocol.

What firewall do you use?

What AV security do you use?

Both should be checked out to determine if either are causing an issue with Port 465.

What ISP do you use? (it's possible that if your firewall is not blocking Port 465 there is an outside chance that your ISP might possibly be having issues with the Port however not likely as this would be a huge problem for their users. The ISP would certainly not be intentionally blocking that Port of course like in the case of Port 25 which they usually do block for security reasons).

Oh btw, on a side note regarding:
I realize that on Saturday I made a mistake/omission in my change to STARTTLS. I had only changed it for incoming. Tonight I changed it for outgoing and it worked.
Based on your error on Saturday (14th) while using the IMAP protocol at that time you actually had SSL/TLS for incoming and STARTTLS for outgoing, but that doesn't matter as Jeff mentioned the error you were getting was an issue that was fixed by upgrading to PPv4.4.2 regardless. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,
In answer to your questions:

- Did you go to this "Send Mail" page and manually change it to "Webmail" thinking that you would need to do this if you are using Webmail (Server type = "Yahoo") in the (General tab) for incoming messages?

I don't remember what I did exactly now as I was trying a bunch of things.

- What firewall do you use?
Windows firewall

- What AV security do you use?
Avira antivirus

- What ISP do you use?
Verizon

I have now set incoming to Webmail and sending to STARTTLS. Seems to be working so far.

I also tested with Thunderbird and had to change its settings to STARTTLS also to get sending to work.

I'm pretty sure this started with the Windows 10 Creators update. But why it would block port 465, but not port 587 is a mystery.

Thanks,
Ross
mjs

Post by mjs »

Glad to hear everything seems to be working now. Image

On a side note -- I'm hearing all kinds of issues reportedly connected to Windows 10 Creators update....

Numerous reports of Creators update causing Network issues. Just a couple of examples of some enumerated Creators update issues:
Windows 10 Creators Update reported issues: Here’s what’s broken and The 9 most common problems with Windows 10 Creators Update, and how to fix them .... (Note: I'm not necessarily advocating for the accuracy of these sites)

I don't use Window10 (prefer Windows 7) so I don't know much about Windows 10 and don't know if this video will be helpful, but here is a How to add a rule or port to a Windows 10 firewall video, FWIW.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I updated to the FCU (Fall Creators Update) on Tuesday and didn't have any problems (well, besides having to update programs that are highly integrated into the OS like VirtualBox and Taskbar Tweaker). I did test with Yahoo SMTP using SSL/TLS just to make sure.

I wouldn't expect Windows Firewall to cause that kind of problem. I'd look more at Avira or other 3rd party security software.

That being said: since it works, I probably wouldn't put too much effort into it. Although, there may be other services that require SSL/TLS instead of STARTTLS. I thought gmail may be one example, as they suggest SSL/TLS, but I tested with STARTTLS and it still worked.