Authentication failed username with "-"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
user0815

Authentication failed username with "-"

Post by user0815 »

hi!

i'm using pop peeper with different email providers. i have 3 account using web.de and 2 of them work perfectly. the 3rd one gets error "authentication failed". i'm sure the preferences and password are correct. the only difference with this account is, that it has a "-" in the username. i think that is a bug which causes the problem.
spc3rd

Re: Authentication failed username with "-"

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, user0815!

Sorry to hear of the problem you're having. To enable The Esumsoft Team to better assist you, please post back with the complete text of the error message you are getting in PP. The error message text provides us with more detailed information to help determine the cause of your problem.

Instructions on how to do this are provided at the link below:

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.

**Please be sure to edit/obscure any personally-identfiable information before submitting your next post (e.g., the part of your email address shown before the "@" symbol).

One other question for you: Is the account you are having the problem with, a newly-created account, or one which you have had for some time?

Also, as you are a new member of the Forums, The Esumsoft Team recommends you review the following:

Information for new users and forum members.

Important information is provided regarding the Forums and POP Peeper program which new members need to be aware of, including cautionary notes about personally-identifiable information. Links are also provided to additional resources which explain how to perform a variety of tasks, as well as, the steps to take if you experience problems with the POP Peeper program.

Other Team members will be reviewing your issue and provide further feedback, or may have additional questions for you.

Thank you & welcome aboard!
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I tried creating an account with web.de -- being from America, they wouldn't let me in. Interesting note: using google translate *almost* worked, until I saw that the required captcha was missing and I couldn't refresh it.

I tried creating a username with hyphen at another email service (neither gmail nor yahoo allow hyphens). Outlook -- no problems connecting to the account with IMAP or POP3. (For the record, I used standard login, not oauth2). So there isn't a general problem with hyphens.

So the questions are:
- Are you absolutely, positively sure that you have both the login and password correct? I suggest re-typing both just to make sure.
- Are you able to access the account with another email client (e.g. Thunderbird or Outlook or Windows Mail; access via webbrowser is not a sufficient test)
- Are you accessing via POP3 or Imap? Have you tried accessing via the other protocol (if web.de supports it)?
user0815

Post by user0815 »

Sorry i found the problem, it was not Pop Peeper.
Web.de has deactivated all transfer protocols by default when you make a new account. After allowing IMAP in the preferences it works now.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad you found the problem! And thanks for letting us know.