AOL stopped working

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

AOL stopped working

Post by techmanc »

So I cant connect to AOL with my verizon email address let me post this for ques TIA!

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.3.0
Webmail: 4.5.14.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
RSS: 4.5.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0
Snarl: 1.0.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
XXXXXXXXX AOL [1000: IMAP] [' imap.aol.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'SMTP-465-SSL' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 2]
- Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials)
Last edited by mjs on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact personal information
mjs

Re: AOL stopped working

Post by mjs »

If in the Edit Window for the Account ("general" window) you have an "OAuth2..." button (just above the "Confirm..." button on the right side of the Interface) then click on this "OAuth2" button and reply to each of the steps that follow. Then test the account to see if the issue is resolved.

If you do not have an "OAuth2" button then please wait for feedback from Jeff.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: AOL stopped working

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper does not support OAuth2 for AOL, so you may need to go into your aol account and create an app password --

"generate app password" (or "manage app passwords")

I've tested this in POP Peeper and the app password will work regardless of the setting for "Allow apps that use less secure sign in (This option will be going away on March 2nd, 2020)" Note: Apparently if you disable this, the option disappears completely.

I tried contacting AOL a while ago to get support for OAuth2 but I never heard back (there was no public documentation which is required to support OAuth2). When I originally added support for Yahoo (pre-merger), I was pleasantly surprised to get a quick response from their team and they provided POP Peeper access to use OAuth2. :-|

I'll take another look at it, though.