Why The Need To Keep Resetting OAuth Accounts?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Protocol

Why The Need To Keep Resetting OAuth Accounts?

Post by Protocol » Mon May 11, 2020 6:06 pm

I am finding that I am constantly needing to keep resettting my OAuth accounts.
Is this normal? Why do I have to keep re-authorizing and re-entering my passwords? 🤔
(OAuthAccess empty) -- OAuth2: You may need to re-allow POP Peeper access. Edit the account and press the 'OAuth2' button to re-authorize.

lakrsrool

Re: Why The Need To Keep Resetting OAuth Accounts?

Post by lakrsrool » Mon May 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Are you using more than one machine to access your emails?

Are the accounts Gmail accounts (if not what type of accounts are they)?

What version of POP Peeper are you using?

What version are you using for your SSL plugin?

Is there a pattern to when this happens (i.e. after you exit POP Peeper or do a reboot)?

Is this something new (how long as this been going on)?

Have you made any settings or security changes to your computer that would coincided to when this started?

What Windows O.S. version are you using?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Protocol

Post by Protocol » Mon May 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi lakrsrool...

I am using POP Peeper on a desktop and laptop. I need it on both.
They are Hotmail/Outlook accounts.
I am using POP Peeper v4.5.3
I am using v1.0.2.11 SSL plugin.

I cannot find any pattern at this point in time.
It doesn't happen every time I boot my desktop or laptop.
No special security settings.

Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff » Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm

In my daily config, I have 7 gmail, 2 outlook, 1 yahoo (relevant because these are the 3 that support Oauth2). I'm not sure that the gmail accounts ever ask me to reauthorize them; I think the Yahoo does occasionally, but it's the outlook accounts that seem to be more regular (and it may be 1 more than the other, but I wouldn't swear to it). However, I don't think I could give a very accurate estimate as to how often any of them require re-auth. Which, to answer your original question, is most likely a security policy based on the server.

Your desktop/laptop may be independent of each other (in the sense that re-authing on one computer isn't going to affect the other), but Outlook may have a policy where you have to re-auth every 30 days which you would have to do on both computers.

I'd suggest that you record the date/time when you have to re-auth (make sure keep the 2 computers separated) and I'm guessing that there would be a pattern. This is something that I wish I would do myself, but I tend to just re-auth it without thinking about it (and, it is a little easier to do in v5 because PP provides a convenient link in the error window). You can use the "notes" in the PP account to keep track of it. I'm guessing that we'd find a pattern that it's required every X days.

Going back to my rough analysis of the 3 services, it should be noted that Outlook's implementation is easily the least refined. And, as far as I know, Outlook has never *required* the use of OAuth2, unlike gmail and yahoo; which could be because they know it still needs a little work.

Protocol

Post by Protocol » Mon May 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply, Jeff.

I will take note of the times.
Yesterday, I had re-auth the laptop, and today I had to re-auth my desktop.

I only just noticed v5.
I might give it a try.

Protocol

Post by Protocol » Mon May 11, 2020 8:47 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm
And, as far as I know, Outlook has never *required* the use of OAuth2, unlike gmail and yahoo; which could be because they know it still needs a little work.
I think I was having problems with Webmail, so I switched my accounts over and they have been working well apart from the re-auth that has started to occur lately.

Godiva

Post by Godiva » Wed May 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm
(make sure keep the 2 computers separated)
If they're less than 6 feet apart, do they have to wear face masks? :-#