Color issue with poppeeper5

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Popey

Color issue with poppeeper5

Post by Popey »

My issue is with colors, similar to the post here

My accounts are each set with color, for convenience.
I have numerous accounts, and each has its own nuance of a color.

When I changed from Poppeeper 4 to 5, I found that the colors have changed. Not the RGB values, but the way they look.

I have made some screenshots with the RGB to show the difference.

This have never happened with the upgrade to PP3 or PP4, only now.

Also, when looking at the account settings of the colors in pp4 and pp5, the look the same. Only in the message list and account tree it looks different.

Can this be fixed?

Settings:
Windows 7 pro x64
I use the portable version.
I extracted the pp5 zip into a new folder, and only copied my poppeeper.ini to that folder. So its a clean set.

RGB 121,145,255
account settings for pp4 and pp5 looks similar
[attachment=]
pp5 account settings for RGB 121,145,255
pp5 account settings for RGB 121,145,255
pp4 account settings for RGB 121,145,255
pp4 account settings for RGB 121,145,255
[/attachment]

pp4 message list
https://www.freeimage.us/image-A21C_5F5B2B46.jpg

pp5 message list
https://www.freeimage.us/image-B260_5F5B2B75.jpg

RGB 128,128,255
Only the message list example, because the account settings looks the same

pp4 message list:
https://www.freeimage.us/image-59A9_5F5B2BBC.jpg

pp5 message list:
https://www.freeimage.us/image-2D0C_5F5B2BE8.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Color issue with poppeeper5

Post by Jeff »

Yes, that is the same problem that RichO reported (which I thought was something else).

So, to explain what's happening here:
One of the major changes in POP Peeper v5 was the addition of "Themes". While PP previously allowed you to change the background color, it wasn't something that PP expected you to do on a whim (ie. if you wanted a black background, you probably wanted that permanently and wouldn't want a white background every other day) and so you were also expected to change your own account colors accordingly. But with themes, and especially because the dark theme will be used by default if you're using Windows Dark Mode, it became necessary to auto-adjust the colors; otherwise, you'd end up with black on black text.

So what this means is that if POP Peeper thinks that your account color is too light (or dark) for the current background color, it will adjust the "light" ("lum"inosity) value when it's displayed in the Account/Message list. There is currently no way to change this behavior. The best solution I can provide at this time is to try adjusting the "Lum" value until you find one close enough that PP accepts it without adjusting it. Based on the HSL values in your screenshot, it might take quite a bit; ie. I'd probably change the "Lum" to 100 initially and work from there depending on whether PP keeps it or not. And, fyi, the "lum" value does not directly influence whether PP accepts it or not; there's a formula that derives it based on actual visibility, and I believe this results in "blue" shades being considered brighter than "red" shades (or maybe blue is darker...).

Anyway, hope that helps?
Popey

Post by Popey »

That explains the issue, but doesn't help.

What would be helpful is a way to avoid this auto adjustment.

There are probably more like me, who would like to keep their original colors, regardless of the theme they choose. Or using themes that don't need this adjustment.

Is there a chance for some option for the user to choose to avoid these changes?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

A few people have mentioned it and I do have a note to look into providing an option. Can't promise anything at this point, though.
Popey

Post by Popey »

Jeff wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:31 pm A few people have mentioned it and I do have a note to look into providing an option. Can't promise anything at this point, though.
Great.
I'm glad it's on your to-do list, and I'll cross finger for this new option :-)

Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The option to prevent account colors from changing based on the background color will be in the next update (likely labeled as v5.0.1):
POP Peeper main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Interface: Change account colors so they're more visible against the current background color

I will likely release v5.0.1 to the "early release" channel first; so if you have POP Peeper Pro, you can enable the following to get it when it's available (no ETA yet, but I'm hoping next week):
POP Peeper main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Troubleshooting: Opt into early release / beta updates
Popey

Post by Popey »

Thank you so much.