[BUG] Sorting View of Emails by Account Name Ignore Password Protected Accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
imalilteapot

[BUG] Sorting View of Emails by Account Name Ignore Password Protected Accounts

Post by imalilteapot »

1. Create Four Email Accounts (IMAP)
2. Password protect one of the accounts
3. Allow email to queue up in all four email accounts
4. Click on the Account title bar to sort alphabetically

Expected Results: The sorting should work, and the order of displayed emails should be alphabetical.
Actual Results: Only the accounts that do not have a password are sorted. The one that is password protected is ignored.

Note: This was working in version 4.x. Also note, unlocking the account so that emails are visible does not resolve the sorting issue, either.
spc3rd

Re: [BUG] Sorting View of Emails by Account Name Ignore Password Protected Accounts

Post by spc3rd »

Hello imalilteapot,
imalilteapot wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:40 pm Also note, unlocking the account so that emails are visible does not resolve the sorting issue, either.
For edification, please clarify what you mean by "unlocking the account".

Other members ofThe Esumsoft Team will be reviewing your topic and likely have additional questions, as well as, feedback for you.

Thank you and best regards.
Global Moderator
imalilteapot

Re: [BUG] Sorting View of Emails by Account Name Ignore Password Protected Accounts

Post by imalilteapot »

Unlocking means to put the password in so emails are visible and not blanked out by the asterisks.
Enable password protect by going into the email account settings and clicking the check box within PP
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm not able to duplicate any issue with this. Here are 2 screenshots that show what happens to me (ie. as expected). Screenshot #1 is sorted by date/time and screenshot #2 is sorted by account.
PPv5_PwpSortByAccount01.png
PPv5_PwpSortByAccount02.png

To make things a little more interesting, I then added 2 more messages and marked all 3 messages as "read" (in the protected account) and then retrieved a new 4th message -- all the messages appear in the correct order; that is, sorted by account and sub-sorted by date-time (so that the new 4th message is at the top of the other messages in the same account):
PPv5_PwpSortByAccount03.png

Can you provide screenshots that exemplify the issue? If you're concerned about privacy, send it via PM or email (support at esumsoft dot com).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Oh, here's an idea -- have you re-ordered the accounts in the account list? Sorting by accounts does not necessarily follow alphanumeric ordering, it follows the order that they are listed in the Accounts List:
PPv5_PwpSortByAccount04.png
imalilteapot

Post by imalilteapot »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:42 pm Oh, here's an idea -- have you re-ordered the accounts in the account list? Sorting by accounts does not necessarily follow alphanumeric ordering, it follows the order that they are listed in the Accounts List:

PPv5_PwpSortByAccount04.png
I have! That is the one change I made from version 4 to version 5, since it is a new feature :) It seems kind of silly to follow the Account list in the left side, when I want to control the account list on the right side.

To fix it, do I need to alphabetize the account list on the left, so that the right one sorts properly? Or is there a way to decouple the two lists from each other?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It seems kind of silly to follow the Account list in the left side, when I want to control the account list on the right side.
Re-ordering the accounts list affects a lot of things (e.g. the dropdown box above the message list that lets you select the account to view). If everything were ordered differently, then it would be confusing. Or, at least, more confusing. Besides, if you re-order the Accounts List, why would you not want to order the messages in the same way?

To reset it: right-click on the Accounts List and select "Reset account order". The message list may not immediately update to reflect the changes.
imalilteapot

Post by imalilteapot »

Because on the left side, I want it ordered by accounts that are the most active, on the right side, I want the password protected stuff listed last, since I unlock them at a later time.
In short, the password protected account is spam mail that I dont care to see all the time. There are accounts on the left side that are not being updated, but contain emails that are still important to me.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

hm, yes, well... that sounds like a very personal use-case... Perhaps there is another feature that may help, though -- on a per-account basis, you can hide messages from the *All Accounts* list so that you only see those account's messages when you view the account; you can also hide the read messages so that only the account's unread messages will appear in the *All Accounts* list.

Edit the account and go to the "Advanced" page to change the "hide messages from *All Accounts*" setting (If you don't see that page -- main menu: Tools / Options / General, enable "Advanced options").

Another relevant pro-tip: double-clicking the word "view" next to the accounts dropdown will return you to *all accounts*
imalilteapot

Post by imalilteapot »

Perfect workaround to my situation. Thank you.