"Waiting for Internet connection..."

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ant

"Waiting for Internet connection..."

Post by ant »

Earlier, I had a few minutes power outage so my cable Internet went down too (they don't do battery back up on their own lines even if I have my own battery back ups in my home). However, POP Peeper v5.1.2's status bar is stuck in saying "Waiting for Internet connection..." in my over three weeks old, updated 64-bit W10 Pro. PC. I can't check, read, delete, check for new version updates, etc. How do I fix this? Do I really need to restart POP Peeper?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering very soon. :)
ant

Re: "Waiting for Internet connection..."

Post by ant »

I had to restart my program to fix it since I couldn't wait. It should be easy to reproduce if I disconnect my Internet.
mjs

Post by mjs »

What "connection type" are you using (from the main menu - go to "Tools" > "Options" - select "Connection" window (at the top take a look in the "Connection type" subset). If you are not using "Using a permanent connection" then you might try this option.

If a service gets disconnected it should reconnect (automatically) on the next Mail Check (assuming the server is available).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:46 pm What "connection type" are you using (from the main menu - go to "Tools" > "Options" - select "Connection" window (at the top take a look in the "Connection type" subset). If you are not using "Using a permanent connection" then you might try this option.

If a service gets disconnected it should reconnect (automatically) on the next Mail Check (assuming the server is available).
It's already using "Using a permanent connection".
mjs

Post by mjs »

The next scheduled Mail Check that occurs subsequent to when a broken connection is eventually reconnected should perform successfully.

What are you using for the following storage settings: 1) Ini location:, 2) Data path: (from main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" - "Storage" window for this).

One other question - if you happen to be using the optional "Mail Check" button previously referenced in another of your topics today.

Assuming you are using this button:
As a result of your ISP disconnect when the "power outage" occurred - how did the "Mail Check" button appear in regards to the two screen-shots below:
1)
What is to be expected to display during the time when POP Peeper is (idle) not performing a "Mail Check".
What is to be expected to display during the time when POP Peeper is (idle) not performing a "Mail Check".
Mail Check button on stand-by for next scheduled 'Mail Check'.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
2)
What will display in the event POP Peeper is processing a "Mail Check".
What will display in the event POP Peeper is processing a "Mail Check".
Mail Check button - when processing a 'Mail Check'.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
As you can see there are benefits to utilizing this (optional) button.
In any case - did you try clicking on this button as of when your service was reconnected (again assuming you are using this button in your main toolbar).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:06 pm The next scheduled Mail Check that occurs subsequent to when a broken connection is eventually reconnected should perform successfully.

What are you using for the following storage settings: 1) Ini location:, 2) Data path: (from main menu go to "Tools" > "Options" - "Storage" window for this).

One other question - if you happen to be using the optional "Mail Check" button previously referenced in another of your topics today.

Assuming you are using this button:
As a result of your ISP disconnect due to the "power outage" you had how did the "Mail Check" button appear as between the two screen-shot below:
1) Mail Check button on stand-by for next scheduled 'Mail Check'.png2) Mail Check button - when processing a 'Mail Check'.pngAs you can see there are benefits to utilizing this (optional) button.
In any case - did you try clicking on this button as of when the issue occurred (again assuming you are using this button in your main toolbar).
Yeah, I assume it did try to recheck after powered Internet came back. Autochecks are every other minutes for the main account. Others are hours apart. Manual checks (check mail) didn't work. I saw no red stop.

Ini location: C:\Users\ant\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini
Data path: C:\Users\ant\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper
mjs

Post by mjs »

I will be away from the forum for a while - other members of the Esumsoft Team may be providing additional feedback as well.
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:13 pm I will be away from the forum for a while - other members of the Esumsoft Team may be providing additional feedback as well.
OK and thanks. For now, I will just exit and relaunch the program. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

The "Connection Type" set to "Using a permanent connection" works best for me for the ISP I use (access from the main menu - using "Tools" > "Options" to select the "Connection" window as previously mentioned). You could try the alternate "Assume I'm always on online" setting instead and test for this apparent POP Peeper "hang" situation you are experiencing with your Internet Service provider when connection disconnect situations occur to see if this might work better for the Service you are using. (On a side note - FYI; your "storage" path settings are as they should be 8)).

Of course - I'm sure you would agree that this situation should not be a very common situation as far as your Service disconnecting that often. [-X

Question: What Service Provider do you use for your Internet connection by the way? (Presumably Jeff will want to know)

Our very helpful POP Peeper developer (Jeff) will be back from vacation in another 4 days (presumably due back on the 25th of June). I'm certain that Jeff will very likely have a lot more to say about this apparent "hang" issue that occurs in the event your service gets disconnected. I've never had this situation you have described occur in my case - so I would have assumed that the "connection type" I had recommended would have worked for you as it does for me. I'm sure Jeff will be able to help out more with more details on this when he can which will only be a few days from now.

On a side-note: As to where the PopTrayU Notifier app stands - in case you haven't run across this - here is the most current correspondence I am able to find from the PopTrayU app dev Jessica Brown as posted in the SourceForge website forum under the topic "Gmail dropping support for non oauth2 login" linked HERE with her initial post on 2019-12-19 at the top of the topic and last post as of 2020-11-08 that you can view by scrolling down the page where she states quote:
Sorry I don't have time to work i this immediately. We're in the middle of moving. Hopefully Jan or Feb I can look into finding an oauth2 library to add support for that login protocol
I'm unable to find anything more current than this. Have you found anything more current?

In the meantime - while waiting on Jeff to take a look at this topic (of course in the interim we will post anything else we might come up with on this as well) - feel free to post any other comments or questions as you wish in the forum that you might have anytime. :wink: By the way (in case you haven't run across these pages before - here is the Esumsoft Products page as well as the POP Peeper Product page. You can find many other helpful links on these pages as well (i.e. to the left of the page). I am confident that you will find POP Peeper to be a very reliable top-notch Email Notifier along with what I can assure you is virtually the very best support you will find anywhere (my bias aside :lol:).

One last point of reference - as a new member of the forum while familiarizing yourself with the Esumsoft software and forum we recommend for you to at some point take a look at the following important Sticky topic: Information for new users and forum members when you have the time which contains a lot helpful information that our POP Peeper support staff feel all new users and forum members should be aware of.
ant

Post by ant »

Thanks mjs. Cable ISP is Spectrum. Yes, I really like POP Peeper. I wished PopTrayU was not so buggy and still updated. :(
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're welcome. :D

Our area offers a choice of either AT&T Wireless or Spectrum cable - we are happy to be able to go with AT&T (far better). We've used Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) in the distant past (over 10 years ago) for a few years and we found they typically had trouble getting past 3-6 months without an Internet outage (Spectrum Cables issues reportedly consist of Internet connections 74% of the time). :( Since we've been using AT&T (for close to 10 years now) - I can only recall only one pad patch were we had persistent intermittent outages over a period of a 4-5 days in our local area (otherwise no issues to speak of). During this period of 4-5 days - it's worth noting that whenever we would repeatedly get intermittently connected again we did not experience this ("hang") issue with POP Peeper at any time that you have reported. =D>
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:17 pm You're welcome. :D

Our area offers a choice of either AT&T Wireless or Spectrum cable - we are happy to be able to go with AT&T (far better). We've used Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) in the distant past (over 10 years ago) for a few years and we found they typically had trouble getting past 3-6 months without an Internet outage (Spectrum Cables issues reportedly consist of Internet connections 74% of the time). :( Since we've been using AT&T (for close to 10 years now) - I can only recall only one pad patch were we had persistent intermittent outages over a period of a 4-5 days in our local area (otherwise no issues to speak of). During this period of 4-5 days - it's worth noting that whenever we would repeatedly get intermittently connected again we did not experience this ("hang") issue with POP Peeper at any time that you have reported. =D>
I wished I could get another alternative fast affordable Internet. Fast cable (used to have TWC too) wins here and my former area. There's very slow satellite, DSL, and dial-up. :(
mjs

Post by mjs »

So that we have more information (beyond just the "connection type" you are using) for this topic issue (especially for when Jeff gets back from vacation soon) - please do the following to provide a little more information:

1) Provide us with a list of the Email Service(s) you are using in POP Peeper (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail etc etc).
2) From the main POP Peeper menu - go to "File">"Error overview..." - from the empty Error Overview window click on the "Copy Log" button and paste this information here in this topic (right-click "Paste"). This will provide us with additional information about your POP Peeper setup.
3) Did you install POP Peeper from the Esumsoft website or if not from where?
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:40 am So that we have more information (beyond just the "connection type" you are using) for this topic issue (especially for when Jeff gets back from vacation soon) - please do the following to provide a little more information:

1) Provide us with a list of the Email Service(s) you are using in POP Peeper (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail etc etc).
2) From the main POP Peeper menu - go to "File">"Error overview..." - from the empty Error Overview window click on the "Copy Log" button and paste this information here in this topic (right-click "Paste"). This will provide us with additional information about your POP Peeper setup.
3) Did you install POP Peeper from the Esumsoft website or if not from where?
1. EarthLink, Gmail, Hotmail/Office365, Yahoo, and TWC RR/Spectrum.
2. I did check the error overview during the problem before exiting the program, and it was blank which was weird!
3. From the official web site.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Check out point #2 (in my series of 3 steps) where it says "... from the empty Error Overview window... " :wink:

The purpose (of this "Copy Log") in this specific case is not to post any error data (when there isn't any anyway) - but rather what you will be copying (when there are not any errors) will as mentioned further long in step #2 "... provide us with additional information about your POP Peeper setup." So don't be concerned about the empty ("blank") window - that's OK - it will be more clear to you after you paste what you copied to the clipboard into this topic by doing the "Copy Log". This is a way for us to see more of what's going on with POP Peeper in your specific case. 8) (I probably should have perhaps said - "you will not see any errors" for step #2.... :-k

Thanks!
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:13 am Check out point #2 (in my series of 3 steps) where it says "... from the empty Error Overview window... " :wink:

The purpose (of this "Copy Log") in this specific case is not to post any error data (when there isn't any anyway) - but rather what you will be copying (when there are not any errors) will as mentioned further long in step #2 "... provide us with additional information about your POP Peeper setup." So don't be concerned about the empty ("blank") window - that's OK - it will be more clear to you after you paste what you copied to the clipboard into this topic by doing the "Copy Log". This is a way for us to see more of what's going on with POP Peeper in your specific case. 8) (I probably should have perhaps said - "you will not see any errors" for step #2.... :-k

Thanks!
Ahh. That's confusing. I will get it later when it happens again.
mjs

Post by mjs »

The "Copy Log" that I'm requesting you to post in this topic is not specific to "when it happens" (not relevant to errors at all in this case). (the "hang" issue will actually most likely NOT generate errors that would display in this window anyway)

Please - just go ahead and do the "Copy Log" as soon as you can and paste the data into this topic. Again - I assure you, it will be clear to you once you do this. :wink:

Please Go to File>Error overview... and select "Copy Log" to then simply paste (right-click select "Paste") what's copied into this topic.... (keep in mind - in this case as far as the information that will get pasted into the topic has absolutely nothing at all to do with "errors" - you are not expected to see any errors in the "Error Overview" interface in this case - which is why I said previously perhaps I should have said "you will not see any errors" for step #2 :-k .... Thanks again. :D
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:54 am The "Copy Log" that I'm requesting you to post in this topic is not specific to "when it happens" (not relevant to errors at all in this case). (the "hang" issue will actually most likely NOT generate errors that would display in this window anyway)

Please - just go ahead and do the "Copy Log" as soon as you can and paste the data into this topic. Again - I assure you, it will be clear to you once you do this. :wink:

Please Go to File>Error overview... and select "Copy Log" to then simply paste (right-click select "Paste") what's copied into this topic.... (keep in mind - in this case as far as the information that will get pasted into the topic has absolutely nothing at all to do with "errors" - you are not expected to see any errors in the "Error Overview" interface in this case - which is why I said previously perhaps I should have said "you will not see any errors" for step #2 :-k .... Thanks again. :D
Oops. I missed your post. Anyways, the issue returned again from my Netgear Orbi router's reboot:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.1.2.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0 (disabled)
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.1.2.0
SendMail: 5.1.2.0
Profile Picture: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
Trusted Sites: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.1.2.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\winstuff\POPPeeperPro\
Data folder: C:\Users\ant\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
(none)

No errors. :/ I'm going to exit and relaunch POP Peeper (not Pro anymore since its free trial ended a few days ago). Also, I rebooted my W10 PC a few hours ago for today's monthly updates.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Maybe I missed where you reported back on this (if so, apologies), but I remember mentioning this to you in email a couple weeks ago, too, but have you changed the "connection type" in POP Peeper?
main menu: Tools / Options
Connection
Connection type = assume I'm always online

Or maybe I'm missing the entire point of the conversation... Sorry, it's a long read and I'm mostly basing my suggestion off the title.
ant

Post by ant »

Jeff wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:51 pm Maybe I missed where you reported back on this (if so, apologies), but I remember mentioning this to you in email a couple weeks ago, too, but have you changed the "connection type" in POP Peeper?
main menu: Tools / Options
Connection
Connection type = assume I'm always online

Or maybe I'm missing the entire point of the conversation... Sorry, it's a long read and I'm mostly basing my suggestion off the title.
It is already "Using a permanent connection..."