Error -1000 - haven't been able to download in weeks.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Mitchell

Error -1000 - haven't been able to download in weeks.

Post by Mitchell »

Hello, everyone!

I'd not posted before since I thought my email woes were due to a buggy system and I knew I'd be wiping/reinstalling the OS (WinXP), so I had to put up with not getting my emails. But I'm on a clean system and trying again but still getting an error and still not able to dl

If someone would be so kind as to help out with the issue, the error message that is showing up for all of my yahoo accounts is:

Error: Try again later. (-1000)

I have googled and ended up at a few pages but nothing so far works. i.e., I followed the instructions here: http://www.poppeeper.com/faq.php?q=webmailerror1000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but everythign was already set as the instructions said to, so no gains there.

All my yahoo accounts are old accounts that I've used for years and years with POPPeeper. The errors just started happening a few weeks ago. I didn't change anything.

Oh, I tried again logging in via my browser and all the tries with POPPeeper probably are the cause but I've been locked for 24 hours from my main yahoo account. I'll try the other ones.

In the meantime, to continue, I don't have them set as IMAP, I have them as POP3.

Thank you and any help appreciated.
Mitchell

Re: Error -1000 - haven't been able to download in weeks.

Post by Mitchell »

Hmmm, don't know why now my main acct said it would be blocked for 24 hours after going through the captchka, I just tried again and I'm in. Go figure!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

As suggested by the faq that you found, -1000 usually indicates that something is blocking POP Peeper's web-based access (e.g. firewall). If you have POP Peeper v4, you can better confirm this by select File / Error overview and then press the "Web Test" button. You should get a response of 200 with a timestamp -- anything else probably means webmail access is blocked in general.

btw, an error of -1000 means that the accounts are using WebMail and not POP3 (or IMAP). So if you thought that all your Yahoo accounts are using POP3 as it sounds like, perhaps you only checked one account and that happens to be the one that's working?
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Jeff, thank you so very much! I never even thought to check which version of POPPeeper I have and it's an old one <d'uh!!> <g>. I have v3.8.1. So the first step is to dl that and check out what you describe. It's been like I've been blind or deaf or something, not having my emails come in. With that and crazy-busy to silly degree at work and life has been very challenging in this way ... <g>.

I'll report back.

Thank you!
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Thank you, Jeff! Good to know that the captchka thing might have been due to server troubles on their end (maybe?). I've been with yahoo since 1999 so hopefully it keeps going strong! <g>

I even just went through an OS clean wipe/reinstall, which took some time despite all the timesavers I've built up over time. But that didn't help with the PP issue so I think I can rule out an OS issue causing the problem (always a possibility on a buggy system). So hopefully dl v4 will, if not eliminate the problem, make it easier to diagnose. I didn't do anything when it just stopped worked, so it's been a puzzling time.

Cheers!

EDIT: Hmmm, forgot that I _do_ manually check POPPeeper when there's an issue ... (I have _such_ a memory!!) but it still isn't saying there's a newer version. Heads-up that this can happen if there's a version 4 while my v3.8.1 is saying it's the latest by not signalling a potential upgrade. Good to know. Unless it's a temporary build, or nightly build, or whatever they call those interim ones to main upgrades <g>.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Jeff, I'm stumped. I use webmail, yes. That's what I've done for years. And I didn't change any settings at all but all my yahoo accts are unavailable and give -1000 error. The one that is working is the one from my ISP which, of course, hardly runs into problems because PP is accessing a, don't know what you'd call it, but something that is not a webmail account like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc. My Fastmail is fine, too.

And like I said, the settings haven't changed in years and I made absolutely no changes to anything yet all 7 of my yahoo accounts are the ones that aren't working.

I think I'll go back to the instructions pages on setting up webmail in PP and follow them to see if something has changed.

Thanks!
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Okay, coming back quickly. Found v4, that's the word I was missing "beta", sorry, memory freeze! So v4, beta, is here: http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I then followed to hear after a little bit confusing intro page: http://www.esumsoft.com/download/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. So here's hoping I've gone the right route.

btw, I did a test setup of my main yahoo account via the wizard and it gave me exactly the same settings as I had in original (and same error). It chose the webmail option versus pop3, etc.

Anywho, starting to run a bit late so I'll work on this after work or as soon as I can and report back. Someone else may be having the same difficulties, so it's good to keep track of problems and eventual (I hope <g>) solutions.

Cheers and have a super day.
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

I'm having the same problem and it just started today. Any solutions?

Edit: found solution. Tools / options/ direct connection to internet (don't use - "use registry configuration").
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Mitchell -- The post you found about the beta version is pretty old (2013) -- v4 is not in beta; nor has it been officially transitioned, which is why your v3 didn't tell you of the update. If you still have a problem with v4, let me know.

asquirrel -- "use registry configuration" will work most of the time, but it's possible that you (or another program) has changed those settings to a non-working state. If you're curious to fix that potential problem (it's not necessary for PP since you've already got it working) then type "internet options" into the Windows start menu and open that "control panel" page. Click on the "Connections" tab and then press the "LAN settings" button at the bottom. By default, Windows will use "Automatically detect settings" and NO proxy server. I suspect that you have a proxy server specified. Unless you know that it's supposed to be there, I would highly recommend disabling the proxy server -- it could be the equivalent of malware/spyware (e.g. the proxy server can record every website you visit and inject scripts, etc).
asquirrel

Post by asquirrel »

Hi Jeff,

You are right. Something did squirrel it's way into my network settings and put a proxy server in there. Thanks! :)
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Well, finally had a moment to be able to concentrate and I did the "upgrade". Still no joy, though.

I went looking for the solution Squirrel mentioned (via this path in v4, btw: TOOLS > OPTIONS > CONNECTION > and under HTTP PROXY SETTINGS: where there is the "Access Type:" prompt, I changed it from the "Use Registry Configuration" to "Connect to Internet Directly", just in case that might make a difference. There was nothing out of the ordinary on that page, so didn't think there'd be an impact, necessarily, and unfortunately, there wasn't.

Still no messages downloading.

I've also gone several times to see my mail via my browser and I'll shut down POPPeeper v4 and check my mail, then re-launch and see if that makes any difference. The last time there'd been a new captchka step, which I'd hope would affect something. Unfortunately, that didn't do anything either, so it wasn't a new check step that was the problem this time around.

I'll report back.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Did what I said I'd do, checked my main yahoo and hotmail accounts and both still have nothing coming through (sorry, forgot all about the hotmail one, so it's 7 yahoo and 1 hotmail that aren't working). At least I got to clean up my inboxes of both using my browser <g>!

Here is the log from v4, as directed:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.5.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 22:13:35 - 22:13:35 (0 s) (-0500)
Data: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:13:42 -0700

--- Error ---
(none)

I hope this means something to someone ... <g>

Thank you!
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Whoa, a major whoa ... I just found a nasty in v4. When you mark a message to be deleted, there doesn't seem to be a visible sign at all! I found the reference only in the context menu. I went back to my trusty v3.8.1 and it shows a very clear icon when a message is slated for deletion. I went to edit the columns but there's nothing to get that type of icon back. As far as I can see, the change in the status of the message is identical when marking for deletion and for reading.

If there's no way to change this, can you point me in the direction of a recent POPPeeper that _does_ have the old way of clearly marking this? I'm going to run into serious trouble with this type of display for the status.

Thanks!
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Mitchell,

This reply is solely to answer your question regarding not seeing the icon indicating a message is marked for deletion in PP v4. (Referencing the image below):
PPv4 - Displaying the DELETE column and icon.png
On the PP main interface:

1. Right-click your mouse anywhere on the column header line in the message list.
2. Select "Edit columns."
3. A dialog box will open (as shown on the left side of the image above).
4. Ensure the box (shown in the red rectangle in the image) is check-marked. Click the [OK] button.

You should now see one of the column headings with an exclamation (!) mark (as shown in the red box on the PP main interface above the blue arrow). When you mark a message for deletion in PP v4, you should see a blue "trash can" appear in the aforementioned column.

If the above does not resolve the specific deletion icon issue, please advise Jeff of this fact, since he is already working with you on the other issues.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Mitchell -- I've sent you an email to request additional information and we'll continue the discussion via email. As for the delete marker, Pete's guide should answer that.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

spc3rd wrote:Hi Mitchell,

This reply is solely to answer your question regarding not seeing the icon indicating a message is marked for deletion in PP v4. (Referencing the image below):
PPv4 - Displaying the DELETE column and icon.png
On the PP main interface:

1. Right-click your mouse anywhere on the column header line in the message list.
2. Select "Edit columns."
3. A dialog box will open (as shown on the left side of the image above).
4. Ensure the box (shown in the red box in the image) is check-marked. Click the [OK] button.

You should now see one of the column headings with an exclamation (!) mark (as shown in the red box on the PP main interface above the blue arrow). When you mark a message for deletion in PP v4, you should see a blue "trash can" appear in the aforementioned column.

If the above does not resolve the specific deletion icon issue, please advise Jeff of this fact, since he is already working with you on the other issues.

Best regards,
OMG!!! Please, guys, that's so Micro$oftian!!! DON'T GO THAT ROUTE! How in HECK is one supposed to know ! was for that??? I did go to the columns. I ran over that option several times. Please keep it simple and not non-intuitive??? Call it something not some obscure option title such as this!!

I think that's why I am just so not liking this interface.

My problem hasn't gone away, I've had weeks of not seeing my emails properly. I've had it good, I know. POPPeeper is so good at what it does when it works that it's a marvel. I'm in a job where soon I'll be able to afford buying this app, but I absolutely will not if the new less intuitive interface is the way this is going to go. Look, purdy is nice. Micro$oft's new ribbon sure is very pretty to look at. But the new interface style and complexity (have to know complex XML to edit???? Not look before where slap something on a toolbar, make a custom 16x16 pixel image for an icon and with macros and custom images have a sleek, fast one-button access to EVERYTHING!! Not anymore! I've slowed down considerably with no options to fix....) just doesn't cut it. And everyone out there is following suit.

Give me plain functionality over pretty GUIs any day of the week! Utilitarian, fast and simple over some pretty but useless graphics any day!

Phew, sorry. We've relied on POPPeeper's beatiful and "simple" look for so long this new interface was and is still a shock because it's right along the lines of the way software seems to be going with kewl interfaces but non-intuitive, less useful functionality (I'm not saying that's where PP is, just that this interface is one step in that direction!!! Hoping that gets headed off!!).

Thanks for the tip! I have it back now. And that icon leads the headers. Phew.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Jeff wrote:Mitchell -- I've sent you an email to request additional information and we'll continue the discussion via email. As for the delete marker, Pete's guide should answer that.
Thanks, Jeff! I didn't see it because I haven't gone into my webmail in a few days (late hours at work). I'll check the email later on and will respond.

THANK YOU!!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The '!' column has always been labelled as such. It's a narrow column for which any word longer than one character wouldn't fit, so I used '!'. Why yours was removed, I couldn't tell you -- it's a default column.

If you have other qualms with the new interface, please be specific. I really don't think that v4 has changed that much, just the addition of a couple toolbar buttons and message list columns; they can all be easily removed.

I'm not sure where you got the comparison to the MS Ribbon (btw, it was introduced in Vista, some 8 years ago), so I won't even comment on that. I didn't think PP would ever be accused of a "cool" interface, so thanks for that :)
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

[Sorry, I'd posted a message just now without the one check I should have done first, checking if there was an update to the webmail. There was a new one, so phew. My yahoo mails stopped coming in on April 6th and I've been getting all -1000 again despite your kind help in making sure the TLS option was ticked in IT - and it still is. But I'm going to see what's going on via v4.]

I'm trying v4 again and you're right, re the interface part other than the main viewing portion, it hasn't changed that much. It's the viewing portion that "changed" with all the extras that were on and off by default. I just removed a few items from the columns and turned on the "!" and it seems more like the old one. I'm borderline autistic, I suspect after seeing a documentary about 2-3 months ago (explains a lot), so in my case, it's just a simple thing. I have eagle eyes that see patterns very easily so I catch things that other people often don't at all - and I never knew why. But the downside is that cluttered interfaces mess me up much quicker, too. And if bad enough, like POPPeeper's new columns initially, will actually shut me down relatively quickly where I have to stop. Too much for my eyes to process and they get tired, too. Today I removed the extra items in the emails pane and with the garbage can now in place as the first column and I think I'll be okay.

I'll check on my OS' next wipe/reinstall but it may be that the "!" column doesn't default as on. If that is the case, may I request that this be turned on? It's pretty vital <g>. If it's supposed to be on by default, I'll just always make sure that it's on. I was just concerned for new folks coming to use PP. (But it's probably set already to be on it's just my old clunker of a PC, probably <g>).

Thanks, Jeff. Now that the ! column is showing, I may just move permanently over to v4 as of right now. We'll see how it goes <g>.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

There's the other reason - I knew it wasn't that simple - the buttons on the bottom-left hand of the accounts pane are not on by default. I really can't live without those!! They are super, super vital! How do I turn that mini "toolbar", or whatever it is, back on, please????

Holy moly, the toolbar along the top is very different, too <lol>. No wonder panics-ville set in when I tried v4 back then as everything was all over the place. Okay, that explains a lot. There was just too much that had looked changed while trying to figure out the -1000 issues. Except for the mini-toolbar issue, the rest are fixable <phew>.

So going back to fix the new toolbar along the top to what I'm comfortable with.

So it's just how to get those buttons back at the bottom of the accounts pane. They're vital to efficient functionality, let me tell you ... <g>

Please advise and thanks!