Error -1000 - haven't been able to download in weeks.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Error -1000 - haven't been able to download in weeks.

Post by Jeff »

Looks like this article was made for you:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... rading-v4/
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Jeff wrote:Looks like this article was made for you:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... rading-v4/
Thanks. I did find that myself after posting, actually, just by trying to get v4 to act like v3. I found the toolbar edits. But I'm sorry, I really have to say that I hate when developers do something like that. Take buttons out, okay. But leave the option for those that love the fast location of something to turn that back on by choice. Yes, I added them to the toolbar, but then I have to travel the mouse all the way up to the top and always have to take that extra moment to look for the appropriate buttons out of all the ones I have to have there; and that after years of just a quick button click! As I said, very frustrating. Forced change of functionality on users is really becoming so tiresome as it's so prevalent now where developers just, will-he, nill-he, decide the change something drastically and completely without allowing users the to return the to THE SAME setup they had. And just when I got a better contract and was very seriously considering giving money, too, for the app <sigh> despite not being able to dl mail for so long. I've gone back to v3.

I also came back to this post because the reason for this thread originally returned. The fix that Jeff so kindly helped out with only lasted until April 6th and I again couldn't dl mail. So I only had about 1 week of functionality - and this is whether using v3 or v4, btw. I'm still getting -1000 error for Yahoo mail and I checked the setting in IE to see if it hadn't been flipped back again but Jeff's fix has held and the setting is okay but I've been without my yahoo mail once more for the last 3 weeks now.

I thought it might be that had to go back and change back from Classic theme to the new one and i did that right away. But that didn't fix anything. So the problem lies elsewhere.

I'm really stumped. Years of successfully using POPPeeper and I've had just a terrible few months that I've just had to live with as my work hours are so long so I'm not taking care of my personal stuff as well with so little time to myself. My Hotmail, Fastmail and ISP accounts are just fine but I use my Yahoo ones mainly so that's small comfort.

Does anyone know what might be the permanent solution to this -1000 error? Nothing else has changed and I've not done anything that could affect it esp. that from one day to the next it just stopped working again.

Thank you in advance for any kind help.

Have a very good rest of your Sunday! Cheers.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Mitchell, is there any reason why you do not want to use IMAP for your Yahoo email "Server-setting" in Pop Peeper?

Also you've said your Yahoo accounts are set to "POP3", however Jeff has posted that this would not be the case when getting this error (see Jeff's post (RED PART) from previous page below):
[b][color=#BF0000]Jeff[/color][/b] wrote:As suggested by the faq that you found, -1000 usually indicates that something is blocking POP Peeper's web-based access (e.g. firewall). If you have POP Peeper v4, you can better confirm this by select File / Error overview and then press the "Web Test" button. You should get a response of 200 with a timestamp -- anything else probably means webmail access is blocked in general.

btw, an error of -1000 means that the accounts are using WebMail and not POP3 (or IMAP). So if you thought that all your Yahoo accounts are using POP3 as it sounds like, perhaps you only checked one account and that happens to be the one that's working?
It would probably be best for you to try an account using "IMAP" and then test that account individually and if it works then change the remainder of your Yahoo accounts to that setting as well (unless there is a reason you cannot use "IMAP").

Also if you refer to Jeff's post above once again you will notice that he stated that with "POP Peeper v4, you can better confirm this by select File / Error overview and then press the 'Web Test' button. You should get a response of 200 with a timestamp -- anything else probably means webmail access is blocked in general."

Mitchell, further down on page 1 you posted the following (see below) which shows that you DID get the "response of 200 with a timestamp" and nothing else (see RED PART), which would mean that "webmail is NOT blocked in general" but perhaps it may be a "fire wall" issue. Have you modified or changed anything since this issue has arisen regarding a "fire wall" in any way?
Mitchell wrote:Did what I said I'd do, checked my main yahoo and hotmail accounts and both still have nothing coming through (sorry, forgot all about the hotmail one, so it's 7 yahoo and 1 hotmail that aren't working). At least I got to clean up my inboxes of both using my browser <g>!

Here is the log from v4, as directed:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.5.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 22:13:35 - 22:13:35 (0 s) (-0500)
Data: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:13:42 -0700

--- Error ---
(none)

I hope this means something to someone ... <g>

Thank you!
So I would consider the following:

1) Consider if in fact you've added or made any changes to your Fire Wall or have you made changes regarding your ISP service?

2) If not then you might consider my suggestion to try one account using the "IMAP" Server-setting in PP and test that account to see if the error has been resolved. If so then it's just a matter of converting the remaining problem accounts to "IMAP" as well. If you would like further help in changing accounts to "IMAP" we will be happy to further assist you in doing so.

As to any confusion regarding the PP column ("!") that shows the "trash can" (among other things) for deleted emails in regards to your comments below in a post from the first page:
Mitchell wrote: I'll check on my OS' next wipe/reinstall but it may be that the "!" column doesn't default as on. If that is the case, may I request that this be turned on? It's pretty vital <g>. If it's supposed to be on by default, I'll just always make sure that it's on. I was just concerned for new folks coming to use PP. (But it's probably set already to be on it's just my old clunker of a PC, probably <g>).
This column should normally be "ON" by default (nevertheless if it's not enabled it is easily switched "on" and once this is done this change is persistent), also it is most intuitive to place the column furthermost to the left in the PP interface in my opinion (which is where the red "X" used to display for deleted emails in PPv3). And also to help out further concerning what the column represents, if you hover your mouse cursor over the "!" you will be provided with further information as to what the column represents since it is virtually impossible to provide information on a column this narrow otherwise (which was basically the case in the previous Pop Peeper version as well the only difference is the red "X" is replaced by the "trash can").

Hope all of this helps. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers