WebMail.dll CRC error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Godiva

WebMail.dll CRC error

Post by Godiva »

Yesterday I downloaded the latest WebMail.dll (I had v4.0.8, I downloaded v4.0.14). After installing it, I encountered the following CRC "FAIL" message for the WebMail module:
VersionError.png
I did see that v4.0.14 only became available yesterday (the website still says that 13 is the latest, even though 14 is listed as available). Also, I see that the latest version in the "About' screen still shows v4.0.13.

Anyway, just letting you know about this.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: WebMail.dll CRC error

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for letting me know about the .13 thing -- I must have gotten severely distracted during the process because the information for the update was obviously only half finished and there are even checks&balances after that that should have caught my attention... #-o

However, as for the CRC error, I'm not able to duplicate that. I downloaded it again from both automatic (now that it's working) and zipfile from the website and both pass the CRC. Maybe try restarting PP first and if it still has a CRC error, try downloading it again.

MD5 for WebMail v4.0.14:
7df190b06d729d8b0293fc54938a3fbb
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

I quit & restarted PP, still got the CRC error. Redownloaded WebMail.dll (via ZIP), exited PP, overwrote existing WebMail.dll, restarted PP, still got the CRC error. Your MD5 matches mine, so it's unlikely to be the dll file itself. I'm not worried about it if you're not.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

As a sanity check, I just tested v.14 in a VM which had a fresh install of PP v4.0 -- tested both auto-update and manual zip with no crc issue. The built-in test uses the digital signature for verification, so it's possible that your certificates aren't up-to-date. My certificate was recently renewed which could explain why the other files are still valid, since they would have been on the previous certificate. Try right-click/properties on the webmail.dll file, go to the "digital signatures" tab; double-click on the item in there and near the top it should say, "the digital signature is OK."
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

It says "The integrity of the certificate that signed this file cannot be guaranteed. The certificate may be corrupted or may have been altered"

When clicking on "View Certificate" in that window, I have the option to "Install Certificate..." but I don't want to do so simply to get rid of an error message (in case I'm installing something that could be harmful to my system).

FYI, I'm still running XP on this machine, in case that has any relevance.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The VM that I mentioned is XP, so that's not specifically the problem. I just did another sanity check -- I verified the webmail.dll (zip from website) on my Win7 laptop, which has never seen the updated webmail plugin (with new certificate) before. No issue. My guess is that something on your computer is mis-configured and may not be downloading new certificates. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for that (well... "google"), but that's up to you.
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Just for informational purposes...

I just updated v3 to v4 and both the SSL(1.0.0.5) and IMAP (4.0.1.0) modules show CRC Fail.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That version of the SSL version did not include the code signing information necessary for the CRC check. You can safely ignore it, or you can download the latest SSL plugin here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... ugins/#SSL
-> probably a good idea to update, your version may have had some potential security risks.

As for IMAP... hrmmm... no reason that should fail much like Godiva's issue. Try this:
1) Find the file, probably in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\imap.dll
2) Right-click and select Properties
3) Select the "digital signatures" tab
4) Double-click the "Esumsoft" listing (it should be the only one)
-> Does it say "The digital signature is OK" at the top?
5) Press "View Certificate"
6) Press "Install Certificate"
7) Hit Next / Next / Finish
-> "the import was successful"
8) You probably will need to exit/restart POP Peeper and then go back to Help / about to double-check the CRC
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

I followed your instructions for the IMAP module and it did say "The digital signature is OK"... I installed the certificate and then restarted poppeeper but it still shows CRC as Failed.

EDIT: Oh, and after installing the updated SSL module CRC now shows "pass". :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, it's strange that two people would have a persistent problem with the same file in your environment, but different files from other. If it was some random file each time or sometimes it passed, sometimes failed, I feel like it would just be one of those things, but this... I don't know what to make of it. The only thing I can think of to do is to allow this information to be logged, but that won't help us to figure out what's wrong in the foreseeable future. Since the Properties indicates that the file is fine, I'm afraid you'll just have to ignore it for now.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to let you guys know -- in the next version of PP, you will be able to double-click in the CRC column and it will provide an explanation of why it failed.