Check Mail/ Email Client Buttons

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Windance

Check Mail/ Email Client Buttons

Post by Windance »

I appreciate being able to restore the Check Mail / Run Email Client Button to bottom of the account list via PP Tweaker. But I saw the notice that you may remove this feature and to "get used to the new positions". I sure hope the option for the CHECK MAIL and EMAIL CLIENT buttons will stay at the bottom. It makes it so much easier to check mail with a button 'separated' from the main tool bar above.

Often, I am on the phone and an email is sent and I "reach" for the check mail button. The new way, even if I move it to the end of the row of top buttons and add separators, I still seem to have to hunt for it. And I never open my mail browser (Thunderbird) unless I see new mail from my POP3 accounts. I always open TB from within PopPeeper. The mail client button for me is another 'check mail' button and it seems natural to have them both side by side at the bottom. That's my 4 cents.
Thanks for all the hard work, it paid off and hey, you are actually getting paid!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Check Mail/ Email Client Buttons

Post by Jeff »

Not sure if you know this or not, but you can add the "Email client" button to the toolbar. I decided to leave it out by default because it seems like so many people have abandoned full email clients these days since most email services allow you to store gigs of data. Or maybe I was just projecting my personal habits -- I haven't used an email client since OE was a thing :)

By default, the "Check Mail" is the first button on the left. It uses the same icon, so I was hoping that the relative position of it wouldn't affect people too much. I had to train my muscle memory for a couple days before I got used to it, but eventually, it becomes natural.

The reason that this feature in particular may not exist in future versions (and, no, I don't know when/if it will happen) is because I have pipe dreams of changing the interface to better accommodate folders. Very similar to how SMV works:
http://www.esumsoft.com/images/PPPlus/S ... erview.png
With a list of accounts on top, and a separate list of folders below. I have *never* liked the traditional way of handling folders by using a tree view, but this is not something that I'll just drop on everyone, I'll get user input.
Windance

Post by Windance »

Yes, at first I did put the email client button on toolbar. Then I saw I could have both (for the time being ...) back on the bottom of the client list. It's funny, hadn't thought about Outlook Express in years and never had used it. I do use Thunderbird. I have 5 'paid for' POP3 accounts and they've been set up in TB for many, many years so, I just leave it that way. PopPeeper is like my 'clearing house' manager. I have a total of 22 email accounts all set up in PP to check mail. 5 POP3 accounts I use for very personal and professional email; 11 Yahoo accounts some for hobby related interests, the gmail account for the cell, and 5 accounts from various websites I manage.

I can monitor all of the accounts in a 'heartbeat' with PP. Sometimes when I'm away from the PC for a while, there can be 75 or more emails total. But I can delete most of the junk mail in about 90 seconds, maybe less now with anti-junk. I started using PP it to be able to monitor my email in one application. But I also consider it one of my 'security' applications because I can check mail and see what I need to without downloading anything to my PC. So, for me, PP has been my coolest software 'find' the past 10 years. It is by far, the absolute best software of it's kind. I'm in my 60's, an RN, play a couple instruments as a hobby, manage professional and related websites and have email accounts for everything! But no, email is NOT my life! Thanks again for your great product.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it's working nicely for you. Be sure to check out AntiJunk's "Rules" because you can do a lot more with that than just filter junk email. e.g. setup special notification sounds or flag for certain senders, among other things.

Also, change those POP3 accounts to IMAP if the servers support it. IMAP is far superior to POP3 (IDLE alone is worth it) and I'll be adding at least a couple of significant IMAP-related improvements in the next release.
But no, email is NOT my life!
Are you mocking me?
;)
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

I hope you will maintain the ability to display these buttons "v3" style. Showing the toolbar just for this one button which is what I'd be doing takes up too much room. Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's always the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+M by default, but it can be changed) and the File / check mail command. You can also remove text from the toolbar to make it smaller: (menu) View / show toolbar text.