There are no any accounts in new version

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Deny

There are no any accounts in new version

Post by Deny »

[sorry for my English]
Hello!
First of all Thank you for the program!
Recently I decided to upgrade Pop Peeper to 4.0.1 and now I have a problem. All of my accounts are gone. The
previously version stored all info in data folder. While installing, when new version asked, I choose portable with data folder, but there are no any of my accounts when program starts. Is it possible to restore without recreating all email accs over again.
Thank you.
spc3rd

Re: There are no any accounts in new version

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Deny and welcome to the PP Forums.

Given the nature of the problem you are reporting, I have contacted our Forum Admin/Product Developer, Jeff, and asked him to review your topic here. He should be dropping by the Forums later today.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It sounds like the Setup Wizard started when you first ran v4, which means that PP thought it was a new install. When you installed POP Peeper v4, you need to copy and run POP Peeper in the same folder that v3 was installed so that it can find and upgrade your v3 data.
Deny

Post by Deny »

Yes, I did it exactly like you said. Installed POP Peeper v4 in the same folder that v3 was installed. Now I tried to install old version, but to no avail. It runs like a new install. Seems to me there is no solution for my problem except recreating all accounts.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Deny, refer to Jeff's post Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 am in this topic thread: Import Accounts to v4? and see if that may help. If you can find the 'poppeeper.ini' file from your v3 data folder (which would hold all the data on your accounts) and place it in the folder you're installing the new version in then possibly this will help.

IMPORTANT, be sure and EXIT Pop Peeper before copying the file as noted by Jeff in the topic link I posted above. At least this is worth a try before entering all your accounts over again perhaps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, there are conditions where it seems that POP Peeper upgrade cannot locate the proper ini file. This occurs when POP Peeper was installed in the Program Files folder AND it was set to save data files in the local folder ("portable"). This was fine back in the days of XP and if you installed PP back then, it's probably where this condition first occurred.

In this case, the data files will actually be located in the Virtual Store; e.g.
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
(or if you have 32-bit OS):
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\POP Peeper\

The ini file may be there, or it may be in
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
and you'll have to figure out which one is correct (use timestamp and filesize to determine, and/or open them in a text editor).

VirtualStore is... annoying. POP Peeper tries to transfer the correct one, but it's not a perfect science -- sorry. :(
Deny

Post by Deny »

Thank you!
There are actually data files in "VirtualStore\Program Files\POP Peeper\" Both files .ini and ini.bak are there.
I copied them to a folder with v4 and now all works fine, all my accounts appeared.
Initially, when I was going to upgrade I deleted poppeeper.ini, so that was my problem.
Thank you again.