Unread mail disappears after a while

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Ralf

Unread mail disappears after a while

Post by Ralf »

Hello to you all,

Since a short while I use POP Peeper for all my mail addresses and it works to my advantage.
I've only noticed that some of the older emails, that are still marked as Unread, disappear from the list after some time. Of course they can still be found on the server, but that's not the way it should be, as POP Peeper is used to be a quick overview of my new and still unread emails.

Does anyone know how to solve this, so my new and unread mails will remain present in POP Peeper until i read them? Probably there might be a setting for it, but I haven't found it...

Greets,
Ralf
spc3rd

Re: Unread mail disappears after a while

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Ralf and welcome to the PP Forums!

Sorry to hear of the problem with disappearing messages you're reporting.

Please post back with the following information:

1. Which version of PopPeeper are you using? (i.e. version 3.8.1.0 or v4)

2. Which email account(s) are affected? (Yahoo, Outlook/Hotmail, Gmail, etc)

3. How are you accessing those email accounts? (IMAP, Webmail, POP3)

The following information was provided by Jeff to another member with a similar problem as yours, and may be of help in resolving the issue you are having:

"I can only speculate as to the reason why this happened, but the most likely reason is that the file that stores that account's messages was corrupted. This can happen for several different reasons, but perhaps the most common reason is that Windows was unexpectedly shutdown in the middle of the process.

Since the email is still on the server, the messages should re-appear the next time PP does a checkmail. You can right-click and select "check mail" to force it to update. You may lose the read-status of all the messages depending on the type of account; ie. all POP3-based messages will appear as new/unread while messages on Imap/webmail may appear as read.

It should be noted that v4 has changed the filesystem to use a database and this provides a much better method to preserve the integrity of the data."

(Link to original topic is HERE).

Please post back with the requested information and also let us know if the information Jeff provided above helped to resolve your problem(s).

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Depending upon the information you can provide regarding Pete's questions above there are some more options to consider (which is why the information above is helpful). For example in POP Peeper v4 (PPv4), you can change the number of overall messages retrieved by POP3/IMAP (although only IMAP is recommended for this setting).

If your using PPv4 AND you're using "IMAP" then you could check this, in the PP interface go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Message Retrieval". The setting for "POP3/IMAP message limit" will limit the number of messages if this is not set to "0" (zero means there is no limit on number of messages). Click here for explanation by Jeff related to this topic (including the ramifications when this setting is used).

Of course once we have the answers to Pete's questions above we can then be of more help. :)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In case you're not limiting the messages in POP Peeper, it's also very possible that the server is limiting the number of messages being returned. GMail's POP3 server does this, for example. It would help to know:
1) What server this applies to?
2) What are you using to access it (POP3, IMAP, etc.) -- edit the account and refer to the "server type"
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Hello to all who responded,

In answer to the questions asked:
1. I use version 3.8.1
2. It primarely affects emails from my Gmail-account, since that is the one where most mails arrive. I'm not sure if the others (Hotmail and Yahoo) have the same problem.
3. I use POP3 for all my accounts.

I hope with this information it can be solved. As far as I know there's no message limit set; I don't even know where or how to do that...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the information. If you read Jeff's post just above yours you will see that this issue is specifically addressed in that post (in reference especially to Gmail and even more specifically when using the "POP3" protocol which is what you are using). If there is not a problem with your using "IMAP" (at least for your Gmail accounts) then this would be one way to go to potentially avoid this issue (I personally do not use the "POP3" Server-type setting for any of my Pop Peeper Webmail accounts).

Something else you might look into are your Gmail settings for POP3:
1) Sign in to Gmail on the web.
2) Click Settings at the top/right area of any Gmail page (there is a "gear", if you hover over it, displayed will be "Settings"). Click on that GEAR then select (click on) "Settings" from the drop-down context menu)
Gmail Gear.png
Gmail Gear.png (2.87 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
2) Then SELECT (click on) the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" TAB.
4) Take a look at your settings there, for example Selection #2 in "POP Download", do you have this set to: "Keep Gmail's Copy in the Inbox" :?: If not change the selection to this choice and SAVE changes.

Possibly this will solve your problem if you prefer to use POP3 Gmail. (then again possibly your setting is already this selection and it's an issue with using POP3 Gmail).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

GMail's POP3 server does have an undisclosed number of messages that it limits to POP3 clients. I'd recommend switching the account to IMAP which, as far as I know, does not have the same limit, besides IMAP just being a superior protocol overall. It's easy to switch in v4 (just change the "server type" to IMAP). For v3, you'll have to change the other settings manually:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... =GMailImap