Read and unread mail shows as unread in PopPeeper free

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
russwd

Read and unread mail shows as unread in PopPeeper free

Post by russwd »

Read and unread mail shows as unread in PP free. Using HostGator email. Tried POP and IMAP.

If I delete a message from the server then have pp recheck... it does see that the deleted mail is now gone from the mail server and the unread mail count goes down by 1
If I send another message to the account... it sees it as new mail and the unread mail goes up by one.
If I then open the mail item and recheck with pp the unread mail count stays the same.

So if I have 20 messages in my inbox and 5 of them are unread it will always show 20.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Russ
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Read and unread mail shows as unread in PopPeeper free

Post by Jeff »

That is how POP Peeper v4 currently works. When a message is new (to POP Peeper; ie. not already in the list), POP Peeper will get the current state of the message and PP will mark it as read if applicable. However, once PP has the message, it will not update the read-state. This has long been a point of contention with POP Peeper among some people and maybe be addressed soon...

The above statements only apply to the IMAP protocol. The POP3 protocol does not have any knowledge of whether a message has been read or not, so messages are always new/unread.
russwd

Post by russwd »

ok. To be clear I don't want PP to pull messages or headers. I just want it to check for unread messages on the server and flash the scroll lock key and/or pop up a message if there are unread messages on the server.

Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, in that case, go to Tools / Options / Message Retrieval and set all three "default retrieval options" to "headers" (headers really is better than "number of messages" even if you don't want the headers). When you get new email, use the popup to launch the email client and this will reset PP's "new email" indicator. You could also have PP clear all unread messages as read, but I'm not sure that really serves a purpose for the way that you use PP as long as you just consider "new" messages instead of "unread" messages.