mail.com "Action required to continue POP/IMAP service!"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Montagar

mail.com "Action required to continue POP/IMAP service!"

Post by Montagar »

All of my mail.com accounts are using IMAP so I received an email stating that you need to be Premium to continue to access the accounts via POP/IMAP. I notice that poppeeper has a specific drop down selection for mail.com... does that allow for access other than using POP/IMAP? I attempted to change that setting but I was still unable to access the account with that setting. Thanks.
mjs

Re: mail.com "Action required to continue POP/IMAP service!"

Post by mjs »

Montagar wrote:... I notice that poppeeper has a specific drop down selection for mail.com... does that allow for access other than using POP/IMAP? I attempted to change that setting but I was still unable to access the account with that setting. Thanks.
Yes, the "Mail.com" Server type setting in Pop Peeper will enable Pop Peeper to access your email without using either of the IMAP or POP3 protocols so of course a "Premium Mail.com Account" would be unnecessary in that case (that said, see my comments on this topic in the 2nd paragraph below).

When you say you were "unable to access the account with that setting" what problem are you having? Are you getting an error? If so please post the error in this topic. To post the error: Click on the yellow icon with the exclamation mark ("!") in the lower-right corner of the Pop Peeper interface which will open the Pop Peeper "Error Overview" window. Then click on "Copy" in the "Error Overview" window and "paste" the error information into this forum. To paste the information (after doing the "Copy"), just place cursor in your post (left-click in reply to place cursor) then right-click and select "Paste" from the context menu or alternatively press CTRL+V to paste the error information at the location of the cursor.

If you have logged into your mail.com account on the internet using your browser and clicked on "Settings" (bottom-left of mail.com window) and then in the "Settings" area under "Email" clicked on "POP3 & IMAP" (fourth selection down in the "Email settings" area of the window) there are "Enable POP3 Now!" and "Enable IMAP Now!" linked options. If you have done this then you are required to be "Premium Member" of Mail.com to access the accounts. Question: Had you tried setting this to "IMAP" by logging into your Mail.com in your browser? (If not did you still get the message from Mail.com about the "Premium" service requirement?) I would try not setting either of these settings in Mail.com to see if you are able to access IMAP in Pop Peeper without using the Mail.com "Premium" service. I think you should be able to access your Mail.com account(s) using IMAP in Pop Peeper without needing a "Premium Service" at least as long as you've not tried to "Enable IMAP Now!" in Mail.com If you are still not allowed to access Mail.com in Pop Peeper using "IMAP" there should not be any problem using the web "Server type" setting "Mail.com" in Pop Peeper however, so if there is a problem doing this, again, please provide us with the error you are getting in this case.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Thanks for the reply. When you click on "Enable IMAP Now!" it takes you to a payment screen for Premium features, so it looks like you can't enable either of them without paying for Premium.

Here is the error that I get when I attempt to access the account by using Mail.com from the drop down list.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.19.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
mail.com_account [4: Mail.com] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-1003)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Before looking into why the WebMail Server-Type (mail.com) is producing an error, when you used the IMAP protocol were you using the settings below?

If not, try setting your Mail.com account in Pop Peeper to this to see if it works in Pop Peeper....

Edit Account and do the following:

GENERAL TAB:
1) Server type: "IMAP", using "TLS".
2) Incoming Server: "imap.mail.com". Port "143". Check "IDLE".

SEND MAIL TAB:
1) Send option: "SMTP", using "TLS".
2) SMTP Server: "smtp.mail.com". Port "587".
>>Check "Server requires authentication".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

Yes, those settings are what I was using and they still work (till the end of the month anyway).
mjs

Post by mjs »

I am getting the same (-1003) error testing mail.com after setting the account to use the "Webmail" protocol.

I'll notify Jeff of the problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The mail.com account type does not work with the current mail.com interface (there may be 3rd party webmail services that use the old mail.com interface, which is why it has remained).

I have a couple of mail.com accounts; one of them has the "upgrade" email (dated Sep 18) but the other one does not.

I'm currently out of town, but I will look into this later and consider updating the WebMail plugin to support, but this will likely be contingent on the number of POP Peeper users this affects (ie. if this affects anyone else -- let me know).
JoeBiker

Post by JoeBiker »

I am seeing the same error 1003 when trying to check an mail.com account.

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Unfortunately, there just isn't enough demand for mail.com. It takes a lot of time and effort to support webmail services and it's just not as popular now as it was once upon a time, especially now that most free email services provide free IMAP/POP3 service.

Also, I don't know when the cut-off was, but I have an old mail.com account that can still be accessed by IMAP for free. According to my notes, I created a mail.com account in 2015 (probably when this post was last discussed) and it was able to access IMAP (although, that account has since been deleted by mail.com). An account I created just now does not have free imap access.

According to mail.com, imap/pop3 is a premium service; and they take the unappealing approach of not publicly providing information on how much that costs. Well, they've already blocked my new account -- I guess I tried to access imap too many times (maybe 5 times). And now I get a "technical error" when I try to create another account. :-#
mjs

Post by mjs »

That's interesting --- I've got 3 mail.com accounts 1 which uses the "mail.com" domain and the other two one of their other optional domain names they offer among many. All three have been using IMAP for as long as I can recall w/out any issues (other than when I changed to the mail.com servers as explained in the next sentence. I noticed when this topic was started I had changed one of my accounts from IMAP to the Webmail protocol and got the same (-1003) error testing mail.com at that time and presumably at that time went back to IMAP back in September of 2015 w/out any problems that I can recall since.

Perhaps older accounts that have remained IMAP for some time without making any changes to the protocol are either immune to grandfather-in as far as the more recent "Premium" requirements. To be honest, this is the first time I've heard about a required "Premium" service to use IMAP/POP protocols.

Now that I've brought it up -- I'll probably start getting deleted accounts. :lol:
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ A followup -- Just now I went through my list of old accounts that I have not used in PP for probably years and found 3 more older mail.com accounts that I have long ago stopped using...

Out of curiosity I tried adding each one -- lo and behold all 3 were added to PP successfully and a slew of messages were retrieved for all 3 of the accounts I added to PP.

I let PP set all the IMAP protocol settings and that was all that was necessary to add these old essentially abandoned accounts which are working just fine.

So for me the default IMAP Server Type using the "imap.mail.com" Server name with the SSL set to STARTTLS works just fine with an outgoing Server of "smtp.mail.com" using STARTTLS once again with "Server required authentication" enabled (all PP default settings) will successfully retrieve messages.

Perhaps it matter when an account was originally opened as far as whether it will be able to work using IMAP in PP.

So
"JoeBiker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm " wrote:I am seeing the same error 1003 when trying to check an mail.com account.
Try letting PP set all of the protocol settings and see if this works for you as well. :wink: The error you're getting is because of using the Webmail protocol that won't likely work (edit the account and simply change the Server Type to IMAP and all the other settings should be taken care of).