Problems with hotmail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Chivas

Problems with hotmail

Post by Chivas »

Hello,

For several days now I have continuously problems with retreving mail from hotmail accounts - I copied and pasted the message I get on the bottom of this message.

I can't find something on the net about this problem in combination with Pop peeper so I hope someone here will be able to help because this is a very annoying problem :?

Thanks in advance for your kind help and have a nice day!

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.19.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
(hotmail acct name) [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Fout (Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError)
mjs

Re: Problems with hotmail

Post by mjs »

Hi Chivas,

This specific error "Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError" is a random error that Pop Peeper (PP) users may get from time to time, including myself. The error messages may be this specific error you've posted involving Hotmail or can also be a "Send Mail" error or a "Timed out" error involving Hotmail as well of which along with the one you've posted are the other two most common of the random errors occurring on PP recently. All three of these errors tend to get resolved by the time the next "Mail Check" is done by PP and of course they may also return at some point later on as well. As for me these three types of error messages generally only occur with one or two accounts at a time, a few times a day if at all.

What is important to note is that these errors that will on occasion occur are errors on the Email Client side (that is generated by the Email Client, in this case "Hotmail") and NOT directly caused by PP and as I stated above will generally clear by the next PP "Mail check". As such (Client side errors) there is not really anything that can be done about these "Hotmail" generated errors or any Yahoo generated errors of this type that may occur for that matter as it is essentially a random anomaly that occurs during the Client/Server Interface.

What this specific error means in general is that during the Client/Server Interface a command was attempted perhaps in the wrong order for example thus resulting in the error. Also the reference to "server error" implies that something went wrong on their end (Client side).

About how often do you get this specific error? And does it typically get resolved by the time that PP does a subsequent "Mail check"?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Tyrone, Please note that your post was moved to a new topic: Problems with hotmail/Outlook Web Access << Click link (refer to footnote notations in this linked topic redirect as to why)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Chivas

Post by Chivas »

Hi Lakrsrool,

This problems occurs several times a day and mostly for each time 3 different hotmail accounts and then I do a reset and as you say indeed next time those accounts are checked again but at the same time 2 or 3 other accounts come with the message ad this is already happening for a week or twoo or even more... and also daily

Thanks for your reply anyway but as I thought already pop peeper can't help me so I just will have to be patient and hope that hotmail solves this problem ;)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Some days the Client Server interface works better, generating a minimal number of errors, other days not so much. For example, for me a number of various random Hotmail accounts (5-6, most on my Outlook.com accounts) this morning during a relatively short period of around 45-50 minutes were producing the Error: "(Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError)", however the error was cleared for each of these accounts on the subsequent PP "Mail check" but since this involved a number of accounts during this period of time the perception was that there were always some account(s) generating errors. Thereafter everything settled down and errors virtually stopped as is always the case eventually and Outlook.com was once again "smoothly sailing along" with absolutly no errors for a period of time thereafter. It's just the "nature of the beast" I'm afraid. :| The important point is that for the most part errors are generally kept to a minimum overall and depending upon how many accounts a user may have, there are typically a relatively large percentage of PP Mail Checks that are totally error-free thankfully. :D
Chivas

Post by Chivas »

Ok thanks again for your explanation :) - the problem is still going on here too and it is the same as you explained here above so I think we just have to be patient untill all works smoothly again!

Thnx aniway for your time :wink: and have a nice day!
nutford

Post by nutford »

Likewise.

Loads of different messages. Timed out, SSL connection, not authorised in current state, you name it I get it. On two occasions Pop Peeper has alerted me to an email, but it hasn't appeared in the PP list. The email is in my Hotmail inbox, but doesn't - ever- appear on PP. Yet I forward the same email to a different HM account, and it comes up fine.

PP will access the accounts, but only about 60% of the time. Yet when I log in directly to HM, there is never a problem. So I'm not sure that it is entirely a HM issue, for all the error messages suggest it is - and this has only happened since I upgraded to latest PP version 2 weeks ago.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the PP Forums, nutford!

The issue you've presented has been occurring for quite a few Hotmail/Outlook users, including myself. Lakrsrool had pretty much summed it up in his last post, and our Forum Admin/Product Developer, Jeff, is aware of this problematic issue as well.

Granted...it's annoying, but at the moment, there isn't much to be done, as this problem occurs at intermittent intervals throughout the day, with various error messages being displayed by PP. The errors typically resolve on a subsequent mail check by PP.

With regard to the issue you mentioned about PP alerting you to a new message, but it was not being displayed in the Message List, please have a look at the information provided by lakrsrool HERE to see if it helps resolve the problem.

In the interim, please post back with the following:

1. Confirm all your plugins are up to date?
2. How are you accessing the problem accounts?
(Click on the account(s) in the Account List, click on [EDIT], under the [GENERAL] tab, look at what is shown to the right of "Server type").

If any new information becomes available about this problem, we will certainly let everyone know here in the Forums.

Thanks for reporting and best regards,
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Include link to existing topic regarding hidden message in PP.
Global Moderator
nutford

Post by nutford »

Hi - many thanks for that.

The suggestion re hidden emails worked. What was happening is where I'd sent a copy of an email to myself for reference, PP was keeping it hidden - I got a notification I'd received hit, but no email. Problem solved :lol:

All the offending HM accounts are set to IMAP - I set them to that a long time ago as otherwise I couldn't attach files - and there was another issue at the time I can't remember, but Jeff suggested setting them to IMAP and that solved it. Then :roll:
nutford

Post by nutford »

Sorry - yes all plug-ins are current.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks very much for posting back with that info, nutford!

All my own Hotmail/Outlook accounts are also set to IMAP access, just as yours are. Jeff has always recommended that access protocol as being the better one to use.
Glad to hear the info lakrsrool provided at the link I gave you was helpful as well.
At this point, I will leave your topic open, as Jeff will be along at some point today to review your post.

You can check back periodically, or click the [SUBSCRIBE TOPIC] link at the bottom of this page and the Board will notify you when a reply is made here.
NOTE: The Board will only send you one notification of a reply, until you log-in to the Forums again.

Cheers!
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi nutford, just so you know - AntiJunk has a BCC rule that will hide messages from yourself. You had posted ..."I'd sent a copy of an email to myself for reference...", presumably you're using BCC to do this.

If you wish to change this option in AntiJunk you have the option to disable the rule.

The way to access and disable the BCC rule:
1) From the PP main menu, select "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Main interface"
2) Select the "Rules" page on the left
3) Find 'BCC' in the list to the right
4) Uncheck the rule (to disable it)
5) Then click OK
nutford

Post by nutford »

Erm... I might be using BCC... or not.... as I have no idea what it is :lol:

I just add my own email address as cc when sending :?:
mjs

Post by mjs »

The difference between CC and BCC is that when you use CC the recipient(s) will be able to see this information and know you are sending yourself the CC or any other recipient that you CC for that matter, on the other hand if you use BCC then this information remains "private" ("B" = blind), so to speak, and will not be seen by the recipient(s). For example, BCC would be used in the event you may want someone else to receive an email, but you don’t want the primary recipients of the email to see you’ve sent this other person a copy. FYI, the terms "CC" and "BCC" represent the terms "Carbon Copy" and "Blind Carbon Copy", respectively. They are terms that have "stuck", so to speak, and continue to be used in the digital age from days past when "Carbon Copies" were used to communicate via "snail mail".

Back to PP, the BCC rule in AntiJunk was modified by Jeff at some point so that only actual BCC messages would be "hidden", perhaps you do not have the updated AntiJunk rule change.

Regardless you have the option to disable the BCC AntiJunk rule (as described in my post) in which case messages sent to yourself (including apparently in your case both "CC" as well as "To") would not be "hidden" from the PP inbox at that point.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to confirm -- it is a Hotmail error, but it's specific to their IMAP server. Prior to v4, POP Peeper would default Hotmail accounts to use "WebMail" instead of IMAP (this was not just for Hotmail, this change affected all servers that support both WebMail and Imap, such as GMail and Yahoo), which is why you may have just started seeing errors in v4 since it's using IMAP now. People have reported better success with WebMail and POP3 access; however, you'll lose a lot of features with either of those, so it's up to you to decide which is more important (reliability or features).

Personally, I see about 3-7 random errors with Hotmail/IMAP over a 12-hour day, and very rarely is it a long-term issue (ie. one error, but the next check is good). Today, however, I have already gotten at least that many errors over the course of a few hours... (I use the optional sound alert to tell me when an account has an error)
nutford

Post by nutford »

Thanks everyone.

Never knew what BCC meant till now. Come to that, I'd long forgotten that 'cc' meant 'carbon copy', probably because I'm old enough to remember them....... :cry:
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

If I were to guess, I'd say that PP isn't allowing enough time for the "handshake" to complete.
Similar kinds of issues with Hotmail and Outlook, but no such problems with Yahoo (all are IMAP).

--- Version ---
Webmail: 4.0.20.0

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
SSL connection failed
rvail317

Post by rvail317 »

Hotmail is continually erroring out, with the yellow ! in the Task Bar.
The current error is posted below, but it can also vary with a "Time Out" error.
Outlook.com is not currently in error, but has occurred several times today, as well.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
--- Version ---
Webmail: 4.0.20.0

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Error (Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError)
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

This NotAuthenticatedServerError is getting progressively worse.

At the moment, PP is showing 4 errors: 3 of the above and one SSL connection failed, which is also happening frequently today.

Over the past few weeks, it would be more a case of NotAuthenticatedServerError happening on one server poll and not on the next, so merely a minor delay. Recently, it happens several times in a row. For example, one of the accounts showing the error polls every 20 minutes and it's now sitting at 76 minutes since the last good connection.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks to everyone for reporting your own issues with Hotmail/Outlook.

As you've observed, quite a few PP users, myself included, have been experiencing the ongoing problem with various error messages being displayed by PP on mail checks of the aforementioned accounts.

Jeff and the The Moderating Team are continuing to look into this issue. Rest assured, we will provide any remediation information as it becomes available. At present, the information posted by Jeff and lakrsrool thus far is the latest.

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator