POP Peeper Display Desktop Alert ?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sportman12

POP Peeper Display Desktop Alert ?

Post by sportman12 »

When New mail comes in to POP Peeper when am using my browser POP Peeper comes on top of my browser I have it set to Display Desktop Alert this did not happen in any other versions when it was set to Display Desktop Alert it just went to the Desktop it did not pop up on top of my browser when browsing is their a fix ?
mjs

Re: POP Peeper Display Desktop Alert ?

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum sportman12,

There are many different ways to get message alerts in Pop Peeper, assuming this is the setting you are referring to (click on images to enlarge if need be):
Desktop Alert for Pop Peeper, accessed by going to "Tools" > "Options" > "Notification" tab.
Desktop Alert for Pop Peeper, accessed by going to "Tools" > "Options" > "Notification" tab.
As far as I'm aware this specific alert has always been displayed on top (foreground). As I see it an alert isn't much help if it is hidden behind the browser :wink:. There are methods (utilities, add-ons, settings) to force the browser to always be on top however (searchable on the Internet), perhaps something has changed on your end regarding this. That said, in regards to Pop Peeper to the best of my recollection, the Pop Peeper alert option as illustrated above has always remained displayed in the foreground.

Oh wait, I'm just now thinking perhaps you are saying that the entire Pop Peeper interface gets displayed when mail arrives which would be due to the setting below of course (click on images to enlarge if need be):
Notification Option to Open Pop Peeper Interface when new mail arrives
Notification Option to Open Pop Peeper Interface when new mail arrives
If this is the case just change this setting option to what is illustrated in the first screen-shot posted above. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool I am
ppm.JPG
not technical here is a screenshot of POP Peeper comes on top of my browser I have it set to Display Desktop Alert this did not happen in any other versions when it was set to Display Desktop Alert it just went to the Desktop it did not pop up on top of my browser when browsing you said . There are methods (utilities, add-ons, settings) to force the browser to always be on top am using Firefox please get back to me?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Ah, I see, your alert pop-up box has been relocated for some reason.

All you have to do is left-click-drag the alert box down to the (where ever you want it) left corner of your desktop (which is the default location) which is where you most likely used to always have it displayed.

Since the alert has been displaced somehow (the alert can be placed anywhere of course by dragging it) and you are now seeing it displayed in the middle of the screen you probably didn't realize that the alert has always been on top (in the foreground) because it was not so noticeably obtrusive before this located in probably the left bottom corner of your screen prior to this.

So again, easily solved by just dragging the alert pop-up the next time you get a message (if you don't want to wait just send an email to yourself and then move the alert to where it was before) to the lower left corner of your screen (btw, when you get close to the left corner the alert pop-up will lock into the corner).

Let us know if this solves your problem. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool am a disabled person not technical your post saying Ah, I see, your alert pop-up box has been relocated for some reason post will this fix the issue I have When New mail comes in to POP Peeper when am using my browser POP Peeper comes on top of my browser I have it set to Display Desktop Alert this did not happen in any other versions when it was set to Display Desktop Alert it just went to the Desktop it did not pop up on top of my browser when browsing ? my screenshot shows when New mail came in I can not figure out what you mean please get back to me
mjs

Post by mjs »

When you get that popup message as illustrated in your screen-shot what you need to do is left-click on that popup message in the middle of you screen with your mouse and continue to hold down the left-click and drag (move your mouse) to the lower left corner of your screen (desktop) and then release the left-click at that point (in the lower-left corner of your screen). When you left-click on the alert and drag it (move your mouse with the left-click continually pressed down) the popup will move with your mouse which allows you to relocated the popup to where it should be (where you want it) so that next time this is where it will display when new mail arrives.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Post back with any questions or problems.

Read notation at bottom of this screen-shot:
LEFT-CLICK WITH YOUR MOUSE ANYWHERE IN THE ALERT BOX AND KEEP THE LEFT-CLICK PRESSED DOWN AND MOVE YOUR MOUSE TO THE LOWER LEFT CORNER (you will notice the Alert moves with mouse) AND THEN RELEASE THE LEFT-CLICK. DOING THIS WILL "DRAG" THE POPUP MESSAGE BOX TO THIS LOCATION WHERE IT WILL REMAIN FROM THEN ON FOR ALL FUTURE MESSAGES
LEFT-CLICK WITH YOUR MOUSE ANYWHERE IN THE ALERT BOX AND KEEP THE LEFT-CLICK PRESSED DOWN AND MOVE YOUR MOUSE TO THE LOWER LEFT CORNER (you will notice the Alert moves with mouse) AND THEN RELEASE THE LEFT-CLICK. DOING THIS WILL "DRAG" THE POPUP MESSAGE BOX TO THIS LOCATION WHERE IT WILL REMAIN FROM THEN ON FOR ALL FUTURE MESSAGES
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool am a disabled person not technical I have tryed to fix it the way you said I can not figure it out I have Teamviewer can you please get on with me and please fix my issue please get back to me
mjs

Post by mjs »

Can you please have someone (who uses a computer) read the entire last message I posted above and explain it to you :?:
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool am a disabled person not technical trying to get what to do so following your directions when New mail comes in it will pop up on my desktop not on top of my browser I have it set to Display Desktop Alert get back to me please
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

sportman12 -- lakrsrool's description is accurate. The desktop alert has always appeared on top of other windows but, as he correctly pointed out, its default location is on the bottom-left of the screen. All you need to do is -- the next time that it appears -- left-click anywhere on the gray window and (holding the left-button down) drag your mouse to move it where you want it to appear; release the mouse button. It will always use the last location that it was displayed.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff or lakrsrool am a disabled person not technical trying to get what to do so following your directions when New mail comes in it will pop up on my desktop not on top of my browser I have it set to Display Desktop Alert so my notifacation should still be set like this in the screenshot get back to me please
Attachments
popdesktop.JPG
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The desktop alert will always display above other windows; otherwise, it has no purpose. Short of disabling it, the only relevant thing you can change is where it pops up, ie. not in the middle of your screen. My advice is to just wait until you get a new email, move the desktop alert to the bottom-left of your screen, dismiss the window, and then see how it works for you from then on.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff can you show me a screenshot of The desktop alert always display above other windows; so I can see if I mean what am trying to tell you I do have pop peeper minimized to my tray and it pops up when New mail comes in please get back to me
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman12 - you already have your options set the way they should be if you want a desktop Alert to display when new mail arrives. The problem is presumably that because the alert is displayed in the middle of your computer screen this is a problem of course. To be clear as we have said before, the Alert will always get displayed over everything else if you want to use this specific Alert when new mail arrives (there are other types of Alerts you can use in Pop Peeper but let's not get into that now).

Maybe where there is some confusion is that you think there is a setting to change the position of the Alert, to be clear there is no setting to change in Pop Peeper that will move the position of the Desktop alert. What you will have to do is wait until a new message arrives when the Alert will be displayed again and then you can follow the instructions we have posted previously to move the Alert to the more desirable location in the lower-left corner of your screen (which is where it was before it changed positions to the middle of your screen). Then the next time you get a new message the Alert will display at that new location in the lower-left of your screen from then on where you had previously moved it.

As we have said only at the time when you see the Desktop Alert displayed in the middle of your screen again like in your first screen-shot can you then move the Alert to where it should be that is when by moving your mouse pointer to any location inside the left part of that Alert (gray area of Alert) displayed in the middle of your screen and then hold down the left-click and keep it held down inside the left part of the Alert and then by moving your mouse that causes the Alert to move to the lower left-corner of the screen where you can then release the left-click at that lower-left position to have the position of the Alert get changed for the next time a new message arrives. To clarify, the Alert will get moved on the screen along with your mouse pointer (cursor) as you move it to the location in the left corner of your screen and when you leave it there the Alert will continue to remain displayed at that location for all new emails that arrive from then on. As previously described, after moving the Alert to the lower-left corner you can right-click anywhere in the left gray part of the Alert and click on "Dismiss" in the list of options displayed to close the Alert or you can click on the Pop Peeper icon button furthest to the left of the Alert to open Pop Peeper to read emails which will close the Alert which is probably what you have been doing. As we have said, after following these instructions the next time you get a new message the Alert will only display at that lower-left position on your screen (where it was before).

If any of this remains confusing just wait until you get a new message and you see the Alert again in the middle of your screen. Then if you are not sure about what to do (which is to just follow the instructions above) post back at that time.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff or lakrsrool I did finally figure it out I apologize for confusion what I want is Alert when new mail arrives to know ( other types of Alerts you can use in Pop Peeper ).Examples something like

1 pop up till you get new mail alert stays up

2 pop up and down till you get new mail in tray

3 pop-up every minute till you get new mail

Are their any other types of Alerts like my Examples I have please get back to me
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If I understand your examples correctly, the desktop alert will do #1. That is, the window will popup when you receive new email and will remain until you dismiss it or open POP Peeper.

The skin notifier has a few additional options available, such as being able to display for a few seconds and then automatically hide itself, although it won't *automatically* re-appear after a certain time. Both desktop alert and skin notifier have the option for an *active* reminder; which, when activated, will make the popup disappear and then re-appear after a specified time. To use the "reminder" on the skin notifier, you need to right-click on the skin, as most skins do not have a reminder button included. The reminder button on the desktop alert is the 3rd button from the left (a clock).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Also one other point is that the tray icon will display in a way to alert you that new mail has arrived since the last time you opened Pop Peeper by instead of displaying only a yellow envelope in front of the mail box tray icon you will see displayed a blue or red envelope with waving red mail flag (assuming you are using the default icon) which will continue to remain displayed this way until you open Pop Peeper to read mail (note: the red envelope informs you that junk mail has arrived as part or all of your new mail as opposed to no junk mail as illustrated by the blue envelope).
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff or lakrsrool what desktop alert and skin notifier have the option for an *active* reminder; what would you reccamend and where is the best one please get back to me
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman12 wrote:Jeff or lakrsrool what desktop alert and skin notifier have the option for an *active* reminder; what would you reccamend and where is the best one please get back to me
As you see above in his previous post Jeff stated the following:
Jeff wrote:Both desktop alert and skin notifier have the option for an *active* reminder; which, when activated, will make the popup disappear and then re-appear after a specified time. To use the "reminder" on the skin notifier, you need to right-click on the skin, as most skins do not have a reminder button included. The reminder button on the desktop alert is the 3rd button from the left (a clock).
In my opinion what you currently have now will provide you with want you want and was of course what you had in previous Pop Peeper versions. :wink:

And on that point you might take note that Jeff has pointed out above that the "reminder button" for the Desktop Alert you have been and are presumably currently using "is the 3rd button from the left (a clock)".

Any further details on the subject I will leave to Jeff as I don't use a skin notifier and am not familiar.

I'm happy to know that you were able to solve the topics issue. :D
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff desktop alert and skin notifier have the option for an *active* reminder; which, when activated, will make the popup disappear and then re-appear after a specified time. To use the "reminder" on the skin notifier, you need to right-click on the skin, as most skins do not have a reminder button included. The reminder button on the desktop alert is the 3rd button from the left (a clock). Jeff do I install POP Peeper Plugins in your link you showed me *active* reminder; which, when activated, will make the popup disappear and then re-appear after a specified time. To use the "reminder" install POP Peeper Plugins to do this ?