See only the last X messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lwc

See only the last X messages

Post by lwc »

Is there a way to see (via IMAP) not all messages but only up to the last X messages?
If not, please make it possible...

Thanks!
mjs

Re: See only the last X messages

Post by mjs »

You can go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Message Retrieval" and set "POP/IMAP message limit" to a desired number to get what you are requesting (note: limitations referenced below).

An explanation on this is available by going to "Help" > "Contents..." and doing an index search for "POP/IMAP message limit" where you will find the following (click on screen-shot to enlarge to be able to read):
POP - IMAP Message limit.png
Help Contents index search illustrated in the screen-shot above wrote: POP3/IMAP message limit:
This option will limit the number of messages that are returned for POP3 and IMAP servers (0 = All).
Note that using this feature is only recommended in certain circumstances. A side-effect of this feature is that old messages may appear as new/unread, as in the following example: If you set a limit for 100 messages and you receive a new message, the 100 message falls to 101 and out of POP Peeper's scope; if you then delete a message, the 101st message comes back into POP Peeper's scope (now message #100) and POP Peeper may consider it a new message. To prevent this side-effect, it is recommended that you define a rule that ignores messges older than a certain age (available in the "Pro" version).
Other Esumsoft Team Members may have more to say about this function as I've never used it myself. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
lwc

Post by lwc »

Thanks! However, I need it only for 1 specific account...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's not a per-account setting, but there is a per-account setting that may work as an alternative. You'll need to enable Advanced Options:
main menu: Tools / Options; General

Then, edit the account and select the "Advanced" page.
There is an option: "Hide messages from *all accounts*" which you can set to "read" and this would hide your read messages for this account.
lwc

Post by lwc »

When it comes to memory and efficiency, does it still download them or only downloads unread messages?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It still downloads them, it just hides them. If the messages have already been read (on the server) when PP sees them for the first time, then only the header is retrieved, assuming the following is enabled (which is the default):
main menu: Tools / Options; Message Retrieval: "webmail/imap: don't retrieve body for messages marked as read on server"

You could then remove messages from PP's list (e.g. a message that has a large attachment) and when PP gets it again on the next mail check, it will only retrieve the header.

There's another setting you may consider: main menu: Tools / PPtweaker; Misc: DISable "automatically retrieve the message when I view the header"
- this way, you can more easily tell if the message has been retrieved or not by viewing the message, and this will prevent PP from retrieving it when you do so.

Note: this is a very specific-use case. I'm trying to provide a work-around for what I think your intention is (to reduce memory) and isn't something that I would recommend in general. The general recommendation is still to remove messages from the inbox, at least until PP is more memory-efficient.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Thanks. The second suggestion again affects all accounts.

Sometimes the mailbox is just very large to begin with when PP is used, so it would have helped to download only recent messages.