How about a 64-bit version of Pop Peeper?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lwc

How about a 64-bit version of Pop Peeper?

Post by lwc »

At one time I accidentally put the 64-bit versions of OpenSSL's files in Pop Peeper's folder and PP couldn't use them.
It made me realize PP is a 32-bit program. Did you ever think about having a 64-bit PP version?
In some compilers it's just a matter of checking an "also compile a 64-bit version" option.
Last edited by lwc on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: How about a 64-bit version of Pop Peeper?

Post by Jeff »

I doubt that POP Peeper will ever have a 64-bit version, at least in the near future. The fact is, it's just more trouble than it's worth having to upkeep another separate version (and remember, there are a lot of modules/plugins that would also be affected). The only significant difference between 32 and 64 bit software is that the 64-bit software can access memory addresses above 4GB. Utilities like POP Peeper shouldn't worry about that.

Now, if you're specifically asking about this because you've looked at how much RAM POP Peeper is using; well... My own instance of PP v4.3 is currently using about 450MB of RAM and there are plenty of people who have run into issues because PP was using over 1GB. BUT, v4.4 is going to address this once and for all and RAM will be significantly less*, even for people who like to store their entire email history with their 50+MB attachments :)

* - I was going to put an actual value here, but I haven't done enough testing to be comfortable posting results yet.