I Have the Latest Pop Peeper - So Why is the New Version Star Showing?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Godiva

I Have the Latest Pop Peeper - So Why is the New Version Star Showing?

Post by Godiva »

Why is the new version "star" displayed in the lower right hand corner when I already have the latest version of Pop Peeper Pro (v4.3.0.0) and all the modules (including Webmail v4.2.5.0 and SSL v1.0.2.10)?

Just to be sure, in the About box, I click on the "Check Version" button and nothing changes - my current version matches the latest version (except for the SSL latest version field which stays blank). But the star remains.

Am I missing something obvious, or is this just a bug? Or is my copy of Pop Peeper just telling me how "bright" I am? :mrgreen:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: I Have the Latest Pop Peeper - So Why is the New Version Star Showing?

Post by Jeff »

Can you:
- main menu: File / Error overview
- Press 'Copy'
- Paste the result in your reply

This will show the version of each plugin that you have. errr.. perhaps "most" is a more accurate term.
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.10
AntiJunk: 4.0.0.2013
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
(none)

First thing I notice is that there are multiple occurrences of WOT (4.3.0.0 & 4.0.0.0). Only the 4.3.0.0 shows up in the "About" screen.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, you probably need to delete or better remove the files corresponding to Web of trust. You should look in the POP Peeper folder and the official filename is:
POP Peeper\Pro\UrlCheck.dll

If you have:
POP Peeper\UrlCheck.dll (ie. not in the 'Pro' folder) then you should delete that
If you have a WOT.dll file (in either the base or the Pro folder) then you should delete that
If you've made any backup files that still use a .dll extension, then you should either delete them or rename the extension, e.g.
UrlCheck-v40.dxx

Also, your AntiJunk plugin is old. You should either make sure it's up-to-date (copy it from the zip download) or if you don't use it, then you should delete it or rename it as above. e.g.
POP Peeper\Pro\AntiJunk.dxx

You also have multiple copies of spellchecker:
POP Peeper\Pro\Speller.dll

PP will find any files that have a .dll extension, so when you rename files, be sure to rename the extension. (I frequently do the same myself...)
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

Yeah, when I looked at that log, I then checked my directories and discovered a bunch of redundant (and old) DLLs. I moved them all to their own folder and the star disappeared. That old AntiJunk was a duplicate. If you look lower down on the error log, you'll see the current version.

I still have two DLLs that (as far as I can tell) don't exist anywhere else, but have old datestamps. They are:

zip.dll - 8/28/2014
sqlite3.dll - 7/6/2014

Should these be deleted/moved as well?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

No, you need those 2 dll's. They provide basic utility functions that just don't need to be updated very often.
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

What about the WebMail.dll's with version #s (i.e. WebMail v3.8, WebMail v4.16, etc.)? Leave alone or (move/delete/rename)? I have about 5 of them (in addition to the WebMail.dll from October of this year). I had already moved them out of the way and nothing obvious happened, but now I wonder that maybe they're needed for specific accounts.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry for missing your reply!

POP Peeper doesn't rename the webmail plugin, so anything that isn't simply "webmail.dll" wasn't from POP Peeper. The webmail.dll file is special and copies of that file won't be used at all by PP. That being said, the fact that it has a .dll extension means that PP will take a look at it, but because it doesn't have the necessary interface that it's looking for, it won't keep it loaded. So, basically: each copy of the webmail.dll in the PP folders will take a fraction of a second longer to process at load-time but won't be kept in memory or used at all, so you may as well either delete them or move them.