SAVING mssgs locally

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
henry66

SAVING mssgs locally

Post by henry66 »

following problem (again): have close to 1000 mssg of a particular account
in PopPeeper. due to some mistake yet to find out why, they were ALL but
3 erased on the server of the provider.

i am aware PP is not supposed to be a storage container, but ...

how can i save those mssgs out of PP onto my harddisk or forward them
anywhere in batch to another account? one-by-one is as good as impossible,
would take a year.

any ideas, suggestions?

if i do an update now on PP, they will all be lost and only the 3 remaining
ones on the server will show.

greetings - henry
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: SAVING mssgs locally

Post by Jeff »

Right-click on the account in the accounts list and select "Archive messages". If you don't see that option, go to:
- main menu: Tools / Options
- "General" page
- enable "Advanced options"

You can then find where PP saves the archived messages by selecting:
- main menu: View / Explore -> Archive folder
henry66

Post by henry66 »

jeff, i have to apologize, when i wrote my post i was too nervous and upset about possibly lost mssgs - years of them. thats why maybe i was not clear of what i needed.

yes, the archive function i knew, and have used it. technically all mssgs are there.

what i had actually in mind, and had wanted to ask was another thing: how do it get those mssgs back onto a normal email server? a normal email account? yes, i can forward the archived mssgs to any email addrss i want - but only one by one - on close to 1000 of them not really an option.

any suggestion in that direction?

greetings - henry
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper doesn't have this capability ("yet"; it's something I would like to have myself), but some imap clients allow you to upload stored messages to the server. I know Thunderbird allows this capability -- just drag&drop the .eml file(s) from Windows Explorer onto the mailbox folder you want in TB and voila.
henry66

Post by henry66 »

>> "yet"; it's something I would like to have myself

glad i am not alone - so there is a chance for future versions?

>> just drag&drop the .eml file(s) from Windows Explorer onto
>> the mailbox folder you want in TB and voila

that would be perfect. but where in PP are those EML files? looked
thru all folders/subfolders, cant find them.

greetings - henry
mjs

Post by mjs »

As Jeff posted above, after you have done a right-click on an account in your account list and then selected "Archive messages" from the context menu -- which saves all the messages for that account in .eml format. (Note: you need to have "Advanced options" enabled to get access to the account right-click "Archive messages" context menu option which is enabled at the PP main menu "Tools" > "Options", top-right of "General" page).

You can then see where PP saves the messages for that account (account with archived messages must be selected) by going to "View" > "Explore" > "Archive folder" from the main PP menu.
Select "Archive folder" to view where files are stored.
Select "Archive folder" to view where files are stored.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

As a follow-up to the above post, most likely your "Archive" folder (like other PP files) will be located in the "AppData" file path, i.e.
My PP files location (what I see when I go to PP main menu "View" > "Explore" > "Archive folder" for an account that has messages "Archived").
My PP files location (what I see when I go to PP main menu "View" > "Explore" > "Archive folder" for an account that has messages "Archived").
and with that in mind, it occurred to me that your problem could be that your "AppData" folder may not be visible via Windows Explorer [WE] (which is because by default this folder is generally hidden by the O.S.).
Select "Show hidden files..."
Select "Show hidden files..."
In this case you can un-hide the folder by turning off the "hidden folders" feature in Windows Explorer under "Tools" "Folder options...", "View" tab (press the alt key, in WE, to see the WE menus), more details on AppData file "hidden" attribute here. Of course, this applies to my O.S., WIN7 -- for other Windows O.S.'s it would be similar. By doing this you will then have access to the "AppData" folder in Windows Explorer. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
henry66

Post by henry66 »

tks for the super detailed explanation! where my thinking was wrong: i thought the original mssgs were also in .EML format, somewhere. looking at it some more, they are not. they are in a .DB database, and only when archived do they appear as .EML files. from then on it should be simple.

am i now correct?

but a mass-exporter (to a server), or even mailer (to an email account), would be perfect - as jeff pointed out.

many greetings - henry
mjs

Post by mjs »

You are correct, the .EML files are created when an accounts messages are archived. :wink: