Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

Post by mjs »

etienne53 wrote:Guys, I hate to say this because I've used Pop Pepper for years and really like it, but not only am I still having trouble with Pop Peeper with my Hotmail account, I'm NOT having trouble with Mailbird fetching email from my Hotmail account. If the trouble lies with Microsoft's servers, shouldn't the problem be universal?
Let me refer you to a couple of posts not very far up from where you posted on the previous page on this subject, first in reply to a question similar to yours that is just above THIS POST and also refer to the NEXT POST by Jeff right after this. That being said, Jeff is currently working on some promising soon to be released changes that would make POP Peeper perform in a more similar manner as TB as well as presumably other Email Client apps like Mailbird that you have mentioned. So stay tuned... :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
garalare

Post by garalare »

I managed to get my email again by editing my account to Hotmail/Outlook from IMAP. I can't get attachments or send emai this way. I can send email with or without attacments by swithcing to Imap and then switching back to Hotmail/Outlook to receive again.

I have a new problem now: I can not delete any messages anymore

Sure we don't have a virus circulating????

anyway here is the latest error message:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-41)
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

I have about 7 Hotmail accounts. For the past several days now, I am getting various intermitent connection errors; from bad connections, unable to send message, time outs and more.
I have no problem getting direct access to hotmail. I have for sometime now been set up on all accounts IMAP Oauth with Idle/push enabled on all.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

garalare wrote:I managed to get my email again by editing my account to Hotmail/Outlook from IMAP. I can't get attachments or send emai this way. I can send email with or without attacments by swithcing to Imap and then switching back to Hotmail/Outlook to receive again.

I have a new problem now: I can not delete any messages anymore

Sure we don't have a virus circulating????

anyway here is the latest error message:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Error: Try again later. (-41)
Morning garalare,

While awaiting further review of your post by other members of the Esumsoft Team, I will address one aspect of the issue in your quote in the first paragraph above which I've shown in red font.

When you changed your account Server type from IMAP to Hotmail/Outlook (Webmail), you cannot send emails from that account in PP (It's not supported by Hotmail). To be able to do so, you will need to edit the account's "Send mail" page in POP Peeper as shown in the red rectangle of the screen image below:
Changing the "Send Mail" setting in PP to enable sending mail from a Webmail account
Changing the "Send Mail" setting in PP to enable sending mail from a Webmail account
(Click on image to enlarge)

On the "Send mail" page shown, click on the down arrow beside the "Send option" box. On the drop-down menu as shown above, select SMTP. Also, ensure the box which says, "Server requires authentication" is ticked. Lastly, be sure to click the [UPDATE] button at the bottom of the page to save the change you made.

You should now be able to send emails from the account, as well as, continue to receive messages.
Other Esumsoft Team members will be dropping by to provide further information to you.

Hope this helps & best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket wrote:I have about 7 Hotmail accounts. For the past several days now, I am getting various intermitent connection errors; from bad connections, unable to send message, time outs and more.
I have no problem getting direct access to hotmail. I have for sometime now been set up on all accounts IMAP Oauth with Idle/push enabled on all.
Please refer to this post by Jeff in regards to the issues you are having. You can also scroll up that same page for additional comments on this by spc3rd (Pete) as well. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

garalare wrote:.... I can't get attachments or send emai this way.
As posted above spc3rd (Pete) has filled you in with a very thorough explanation on how to "send mail" using the "Hotmail/Outlook" setting for your "Server type" setting which as he pointed out is to set your "Send option" to "SMTP" for the "Send Mail" window of that account. So this solves the issue of sending mail.

With that said, it happens that there is another limitation using "Hotmail/Outlook" (WebMail) for your "Server type" specific to MSN Email client accounts that is unfortunately unavoidable which is that attachments will not be displayed for this "WebMail" protocol.

This is why you do not see attachments.

So while using the Server type "Hotmail/Outlook" (WebMail) provides the advantage of doing a very good job of avoiding the current ongoing problems that are occurring due to the MSN IMAP Server issues, the limitation is that you will not get attachments using the "Hotmail/Outlook" Server type.

:idea: What you could also try instead of "Hotmail/Outlook" for your Server type at this time is to use the POP3 Server Type, in which case attachments would then display. Sorry for all the confusion.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Update: I spoke with an Outlook representative today. He told me that they were not aware of any IMAP-related issues. This is distressing because there are posts on Microsoft's own forums in which a MS representative replied that clearly indicate there is a problem. However, the rep I spoke with did seem genuinely concerned and he told me that he would pass the information on. Assuming that the problems continue, I plan on following up early next week.

For the record, here are the posts indicating a problem that users have had with IMAP using various email clients like Thunderbird, Mailbird and WLMAIL (Windows Live Mail). Each post had a single post from a MS rep who never followed-up:
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/out ... b06bf5f043
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/out ... 4385ff1e25

(please see the next post for more information)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Announcement: there is a version of POP Peeper available for testing that will mitigate the issues with Outlook. This is a v4.4 alpha version, which implies 2 things:
1) There are many changes outside the scope of Outlook included
2) This is an ALPHA version, which means things may still be broken. There are still things to be done in v4.4, but there are no known issues that will cause any impact.

If you are interested in this version, please contact (support at esumsoft dot com).

Note: if you have increased your timeout value, I recommend setting it back to 60 seconds for v4.4.
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

how do I find out what the error is? My hotmail has been acting up only since the 7th but no errors are showing.. just the yellow symbol from pop peeper.
mjs

Post by mjs »

bacardistuff wrote:how do I find out what the error is? My hotmail has been acting up only since the 7th but no errors are showing.. just the yellow symbol from pop peeper.
When errors occur the accounts with errors will be underlined, but more importantly you will see a yellow square with an exclamation mark in the lower-right corner of the main POP Peeper interface (where you see all your messages). If you click on that yellow exclamation you will get an Error Overview interface window where you can "Copy" the error(s) which can then be pasted into any media that excepts pasting (from the system clipboard). More specifically if you do a "Copy" from the POP Peeper Error Overview interface then the error(s) can be pasted into this forum to not only provide the error but also a lot of other information as well that can be very helpful in determining the cause of the error(s).

ADDENDUM: I hadn't seen your post Pete before I posted. I may be wrong (probably am #-o :wink:), but I'm assuming the issue is perhaps how to know if errors occurred and that there actually are errors presumably and more specifically that bacardistuff is not familiar with how to get the error information.
Whelkman

Post by Whelkman »

From late March until the first few days of April, checking my Hotmail account was spotty, usually working only when restarting. For the past week or so, no mails were received at all. However, installing v4.4 Alpha 7 seems to have alleviated the issue. For the first time since late March, I think, I have checked Hotmail twice in a row without error. Thanks for the download link, Jeff.

Edit: I had to redo OAuth2, in case someone else tries the alpha and finds that mail still doesn't flow.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for your feedback Whelkman, this is very helpful. Image (we have indeed had very good results with this build in spite of the continued IMAP Server problems with MSN Email #-o)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Whelkman -- regarding oauth2, did POP Peeper tell you that there was an issue with oauth2 or did you just guess?
Whelkman

Post by Whelkman »

Jeff, upon running v4.4 Alpha 7 for the first time, Hotmail did not immediately flow and seemingly had the same problem. However, upon clicking the error button, the dialog had a message regarding OAuth2. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it led me to believe that credentials went stale. Previously, when I couldn't download at all, the message said something along the lines of "SSL error", maybe "SSL handshake error".

It might be relevant to note that I have TOTP 2-factor enabled for my account.

My Hotmail account continues to update without issue. I have not noticed any deleterious effects as a result of running the alpha.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, that sounds normal, then. There was a bug in previous versions (ie. v4.3) where sometimes PP wouldn't correctly report that there was an OAuth error, and this should be fixed in v4.4 which is why I wanted to follow-up on that.

However, with all the errors coming from Hotmail, it's understandable that you may just get used to the errors and not even bother checking what the specific error is. So thanks for pointing out that it is advisable to check what the exact error is after updating to v4.4 because it might be something else that can be fixed.
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

I have been having problems connecting to my MSN.com email in PP lately.
I just fixed by turning off that new "Focused Inbox" you see in a browser. If you have it, you can turn it off by clicking on "Filter" in the upper right corner when in your inbox and uncheck focused inbox.
Is this related to all these Hotmail issues?
All my other Hotmail accounts don't have that focused inbox yet.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Dixon: what "server type" do you have your account set to in POP Peeper? The "focused inbox" setting should only affect POP Peeper if your account is using webmail (servertype=hotmail/outlook) and, even then, I haven't heard of anyone else report any technical problems with it. I just double-checked it myself and I didn't have any problems. But that was just a couple of tests and you didn't indicate if your issue was sporadic or perpetual.

If your account is set to imap or pop3, then I can assure you that any improvements after changing the "focused inbox" are just coincidental. Unfortunately...
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

I tried IMAP, webmail, and pop 3. Also tried changing my PW. It was a constant error. But turning off focused inbox was an instant fix for all three servers.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Dixon Butz wrote:I tried IMAP, webmail, and pop 3. Also tried changing my PW. It was a constant error. But turning off focused inbox was an instant fix for all three servers.
What "Server type" did you have the account on when you turned off "focused inbox" when the "instant fix" occurred, presumably the "Server type" you (remained on) are currently using? After turning off "focused inbox" you didn't go back and change the "Server type" to the other two choices to test them did you? My point is I would assume that once there were no more errors you would presumably leave the account on that "Server type" that was working as opposed to continuing to change the "Server type" any more.
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

lakrsrool wrote:
Dixon Butz wrote:I tried IMAP, webmail, and pop 3. Also tried changing my PW. It was a constant error. But turning off focused inbox was an instant fix for all three servers.
What "Server type" did you have the account on when you turned off "focused inbox", presumably the "Server type" you are currently using?
I think it was IMAP. But I am using webmail now since it seems faster.