Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

I'm also getting errors with hotmail...........its a couple of days. Out of the blue, didn't change nothing.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 13:13:49 - 13:13:49 (0 s) (-0400)
Data: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 10:13:51 -0700

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Timed Out
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Post moved to its own new topic for better exposure. Originally posted to http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=34030#p34030.
garalare

Post by garalare »

Haven't changed any settings or anything. Yesterday I noticed that PoP peeper was taking longer than usual to retrieve mail and today it isn't working at all...... The following error message is displayed:

--- Version ---
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 10:30:04 - 10:30:04 (0 s) (-0700)
Data: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 10:30:03 -0700

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
SSL connection failed
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spc3rd

Re: Hotmail: Errors Retreiving Messages

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Bronson and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums!

I moved your post to its own new topic and re-titled the subject for better attention.

The issue you're reporting is one we often see, including myself particularly over the past few days. Generally, this type error message occurs intermittently & will clear-up on subsequent mail checks of the affected account(s). This error is typically a server-side problem and not an issue with POP Peeper.

If you continue to receive the error message on every mail check of the account (that is, the error never clears at all), please post back.

As you are a new member of the forums, we ask that you please review Information for new users and forum members.

This Sticky topic provides useful information which will help better acquaint you with the Forums, the members of the Esumsoft Team, Forum Rules, posting & replying to topics, and other resources as well.

If you should have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to let us know!

Best regards,
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Global Moderator
adambishop

Re: Hotmail: Errors Retrieving Messages

Post by adambishop »

I'm having issues with hotmail as well that started the past couple of days. I have reset the oauth2 and still having problems.

--- Version ---
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.2.8
RSS: 4.3.0.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
Error (Send)
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Greetings garalare,

I've merged your post with a new topic reporting errors with mail retrieval from a Hotmail/Outlook account(s).
I've been experiencing similar error(s) over the past few days myself.
The error messages received may say, "Timed-out", "Error (Send)", "SSL connection failed", "Bad Connection", etc.

As I mentioned in my reply to Bronson above, these type errors are typically server-side issues, and not indicative of a problem with POP Peeper. The error messages tend to clear-up on subsequent mail checks by PP, as they are generally intermittent in nature. (This has been the case for me lately). #-o

If you continue to receive errors on the affected account(s), and the error(s) do not clear at all on subsequent mail checks by PP, please post back and let us know.

Thanks for reporting and best regards,
Global Moderator
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the discussion, adambishop!

To respond to the issue you are reporting, please review my responses & instructions provided to Bronson and garalare above.

* I've contacted Jeff regarding the multiple reports here. Other members of the Esumsoft Team should be stopping by and provide additional feedback.

[SIDENOTE]: Just after I posted this reply, I received an "SSL Connection failed" error on 1 of my Hotmail/Outlook accounts. ](*,)

Thanks for reporting and best regards.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

I would add just one thing in regards to the "Error (Send)" issue as posted by adambishop, currently Jeff is working with someone with this same issue in this topic: Error (Send) where Jeff had mentioned there was "... something suspicious in the log" that may possibly lead to a resolution of some kind for this specific error which in this case has been uncharacteristically persistent as opposed to what is generally the case where this problem will typically clear in subsequent Mail Checks.

On that point of errors clearing, I've had this error, "Error (Send)", occur on an account this morning that cleared quickly later on and have also had "SSL connection failed" and a "Timed Out" errors that occurred on other accounts both of which eventually cleared as well. I would add that the "SSL connection failed" error took longer than usual to clear after 7 consecutive Mail Checks, so sometimes it can take a bit longer than usual.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
etienne53

Post by etienne53 »

I am experiencing the same problem with Hotmail. Pop Peeper is continuously trying to log in and saying I've timed out. It fails to find exactly one email that is actually in my Hotmail account. All the others are displayed. I uninstalled and reinstalled Pop Peeper and that didn't solve the problem.
etienne53

Post by etienne53 »

And now suddenly it's working fine!
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, etienne53! :)

Thank you for reporting & updating us on the issue you are/were having. As mentioned above, the Esumsoft Team is currently looking into the Hotmail issue. We will provide progress updates here as it becomes available.

In the interim, as you are a new member of the forums, we ask that you please review Information for new users and forum members.

This Sticky topic provides useful information which will help better acquaint you with the Forums, the members of the Esumsoft Team, Forum Rules, posting & replying to topics, and other resources as well.

If you should have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to let us know!

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This problem started a few days ago, but seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately, the problem is on Hotmail's end so we're at their mercy to fix it. It's also possible that some accounts may be more affected than others.

I've been closely monitoring my hotmail account for several hours and the situation does seem to be slightly improved in the last 90 minutes. However, I did get an error about 20 minutes ago, so I wouldn't say we're out of the woods yet. Or, I could just be one of the lucky ones -- post back with your current status; do things appear to be better now? (oops, I jinxed it, another error... but an immediate manual check went through ok)
Bronson

Re: Hotmail: Errors Retreiving Messages

Post by Bronson »

spc3rd wrote:Hi Bronson and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums!
I moved your post to its own new topic and re-titled the subject for better attention.
Best regards,
Thank you very much :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Haven't noticed any errors for around the past 8 hours so it appears at least in my case the flurry of errors that occurred earlier today have apparently cleared up (hope my post isn't a jinx progenitor).

Anyone else getting better results :?:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
olegausa

Post by olegausa »

Hi

Just want to report that I am also affected by the same error but in my case it only affects DELETED folder but not INBOX thankfully.
Why do you care about DELETED folder would you ask? the answer is that, by completely unknown to me reason, some of my messages
appear there instead of INBOX or JUNK as expected for more than 18 month already

Oleg
Mr. Hardware
mjs

Post by mjs »

olegausa wrote:Hi

Just want to report that I am also affected by the same error but in my case it only affects DELETED folder but not INBOX thankfully.
Why do you care about DELETED folder would you ask? the answer is that, by completely unknown to me reason, some of my messages
appear there instead of INBOX or JUNK as expected for more than 18 month already

Oleg
What "same error" are you referring to? There is more than one error that has been mentioned in this topic. If you are getting an error, please post the "Error Overview" information for us by clicking on the yellow exclamation in the lower right corner of the main POP Peeper interface and copy/paste that information here in this topic. This will provide us with a lot of additional information beyond just the error that can possibly help us understand the problem you are having.

What "Deleted" and "Junk" folders are you referring to where some messages are appearing in these folders instead of your Inbox? Are you referring to the Inbox and other folders in the email account when logging-in to the account on the Internet using your browser? Or are these folders in POP Peeper in which case you are presumably using IMAP (which we can tell by providing the "Error Overview" information), if in POP Peeper are these same messages showing up in the same folders when logging-in to your account on the Internet using your browser?

More specific details and especially posting your "Error Overview" Information will go a long way to help us evaluate your issue. In regards to this information we always recommend the reading of this Information for new users and forum members where toward the bottom of this you will find specific information on posting the "Error Overview" Information I speak of referenced as "error messages". Thanks for your help. :D
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

olegausa wrote:Hi

...Why do you care about DELETED folder would you ask? the answer is that, by completely unknown to me reason, some of my messages

Oleg
Hi Oleg,

Just out of curiosity, is the issue you mentioned in the partial quote above the same as what you reported in your topic post on April 22, 2014 shown below:

http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 846#p28846

Cheers!
Global Moderator
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Error Retrieving Message [Error (Send)]
The above error on my Hotmail just disappeared although it took a longer time to retrieve it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Here are my observations about this problem:

1) POP Peeper will report several different errors, but they're all related to the same problem. For example:
- Error (send) -- this happens when the connection is broken but PP hasn't detected it yet, so it still tries to *send* a command.
- Timeout
- Bad connection
- SSL connection failed

2) I was looking at PP's code last night and I did discover a relevant problem; however, this is fairly insignificant. The problem I found is that PP is calculating the timeout incorrectly for IMAP. This is easier to explain via example:
- The default timeout for IMAP is 60s
- Say PP is expecting data from the server and it takes 10 seconds to receive the first byte of data, but is still expecting more data.
- There is then another lull in receiving the data
- PP will timeout in *50* seconds (because there was a combined timeout of 60s while expecting data)
-> what PP *should* do is reset the timeout counter after it receives the first bytes of data (so it would have timed out after a total of 70s). This means that data could be slowly sent and it could theoretically take minutes/hours/days without getting a "timeout" error as long as *some* amount of data is sent every 60s.

Even though PP is calculating the timeout incorrectly, I don't expect that it would have a significant impact on this issue. I happened to notice this behavior in the logs when I saw that I was getting a timeout sooner than what lined up with the timestamps, but when I was debugging it, this was never a contributing factor of the timeout.

3) I suspect that the servers are overloaded. Personally, I saw better results last night, but things are pretty bad again today. That is, Hotmail's servers may be busier during U.S. business hours as opposed to off-hours.

4) This seems to happen every once in a while with Hotmail/Outlook. Without looking for previous occurrences, I would say it happens 1-2 times a year and it eventually fixes itself after a week or so.

5) I've been testing with Thunderbird and it is not immune to the problem. One thing that it does differently from PP is that, if the connection is lost, it will immediately login and try again. Here's an actual log from TB (relevant lines only):

Code: Select all

Thunderbird log:
2017-03-31 19:30:59.464000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:NA:ProcessCurrentURL: entering
2017-03-31 19:31:47.975000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 9 UID fetch 1:* (FLAGS)
2017-03-31 19:31:50.332000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * 226 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) UID 228)
2017-03-31 19:31:56.739000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * 227 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) UID 229)
2017-03-31 19:31:56.739000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * 260 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) UID 263)
2017-03-31 19:32:38.301000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * 261 FETCH (FLAGS (\Seen) UID 264)
2017-03-31 19:32:39.349000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 9 OK FETCH completed.
2017-03-31 19:32:42.872000 UTC - 7856[17dc2680]: 17de0000:imap-mail.outlook.com:S-INBOX:TellThreadToDie: close socket connection
Ok, the relevant information:
- The entirety took 103 seconds. There were no new messages, just a simple check. On a normal day/server, this should take a few seconds.
- The log only shows one internal command, which is a typical "fetch" to see what messages are currently on the server. The lines I'm including above show that there were 2 significant breaks waiting for information (31:50-31:56 and 31:56-32:38). My inbox only has 406 messages; so this could be much worse with more messages (and why I recommend removing messages). In fact, this actually contradicts what I said earlier about the way that PP is incorrectly calculating the timeout probably isn't relevant. I've added information about the timeout below.

Here are some suggestions to try to reduce the problems:

- If you can reduce the number of messages in your inbox, that may be very helpful. And by "reduce" I mean empty. Move all your inbox messages into another folder using your webbrowser.

- Increasing the IMAP timeout may help reduce the errors. POP Peeper's default for IMAP is 60 seconds. Because of the way that PP is currently miscalculating the timeout, I'm recommending a higher timeout than I would normally suggest -- say 180 or even 300. To change the timeout:
main menu: Tools / PPtweaker; 'Connection' page; "Timeout for POP3 and IMAP"

- If you have a string of consecutive errors, exiting and restarting POP Peeper may help

- You *may* have better luck using Webmail or POP3. Bear in mind, some people have mentioned that the other protocols have also had issues (just not as much), and when you change the protocol in PP, PP will have to re-download all existing messages.
garalare

Post by garalare »

I was able to get email briefly yesterday afternoon, and today it worked for a minute, it was right after sent an email to myself (which I never got)
etienne53

Post by etienne53 »

The problem is recurrent and intermittent. Pop Peeper worked fine yesterday. Today, once again, it's not finding outlook.com and updating. I wish I could offer more than merely alerting you to a problem, but I have no insights to offer. Sorry and I hope you fix this problem soon because I really like Pop Peeper. It's been a great product.