Message rendering loop, CPU at 100%

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Drugwash

Message rendering loop, CPU at 100%

Post by Drugwash »

Hi there!

Today I experienced a weird issue with a certain message. Upon opening it the message window entered a rendering loop with its statusbar continuously flashing "Waiting for file:/// […]" (where […] stands for the path to the temporary HTML file created by POP Peeper) and the CPU being at 100% usage. The file was there and apparently contained nothing unusual. There was however a link to a YouTube video in the message.
The loop could be broken by right-clicking somewhere on the message body, the context menu appearing after a few seconds; after dismissing the context menu the message window would stay still, CPU went back to its usual 0-3% usage.

I tested the HTML file by loading it in both Pale Moon 25.8.1 (default browser) and in IE8. This all happened in XP-SP3 (or let's say SP4, unofficial update). The file loaded instantly in both browsers, with no loop and no significant CPU usage.

As a detail, there is no Adobe Flash installed on my system other than a 17 NPAPI version which probably belongs to Pale Moon or the long gone Firefox.

In time I received many such messages (articles and comments from WordPress blogs containing YouTube video links) and never experienced such issue so I suspect the new POP Peeper 4.4 betas for this behavior. Until today I had beta 2 and today, after experiencing that issue I upgraded to beta 3, to no avail. Before going back to 4.2 (I totally skipped 4.3, never had it installed) I'd like to know if there's any recent change that may trigger this behavior and if anybody else experienced it.

I did save the offending messsage as .eml and as .html (the rendered version) and I could send them to Jeff by e-mail if necessary. If any other details are needed please ask and I'll do my best to provide them.
mjs

Re: Message rendering loop, CPU at 100%

Post by mjs »

Most likely Jeff will want to take a look at this message (so it's good that you saved it), I haven't experienced anything like this myself.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yep, send me the .eml (support at esumsoft dot com) and be sure to include a brief description in the email.

I've had to account for YouTube things in the past because IE didn't like how it was formatted. However, that was quite a while ago and could be because of IE limitations back then.
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Thank you for looking into this. I've just sent an e-mail from my Mail.com account.