Chime plug-in

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Bryan

Chime plug-in

Post by Bryan »

I like the Chime plug-in...which I've set to remind me there's something in my in-box. However, I also have Pop Peeper to play a different sound file, for each of my four email accounts, when new mail arrives. I don't want the Chime plug-in to sound as well. It's to remind me there's email waiting for my attention, not tell me of new email. Is there a way, not to play when new email arrives, but at the designated time after that?
mjs

Re: Chime plug-in

Post by mjs »

I've requested this in the past as well. It was a while back so I can't recall exactly the details (I'll try to search for it when I get the time).

But if I recall I was suggesting to delay the Chime (which if I recall Jeff thought was a good idea to avoid conflict with Mail Check voice notification when using the Chime as a "new" message reminder later on) and then I think I had suggested a time-limit setting on how long the Chime would continue to alert that "new" message(s) had arrived at an optional time-frame interval so that at some point the Chime would stop reminding of "new" messages (otherwise the Chime would continue forever and if you were out for the evening it could be irritating to others if it continued forever was my reasoning). The second part didn't go over as well as the "conflict" part of the deal if I recall. :cry:

The goal was to provide a way to "Chime" (reminder) in the event I was out of the room when "voice notification" arrived (which in the case I didn't hear this I would still be reminded later on at say 30 or 60 second intervals (a variable value up to the user) that new messages had arrived. If I checked for Mail then this Chime sequence would stop or it would stop after say 10 minutes (another variable user setting) so that it doesn't Chime forever and also so it does not conflict with the next Mail Check.

Is this basically what you had in mind?

If I can find my conversation with Jeff on this I'll post back with better details. That said, I think this is an understandably low priority thing... :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I found my notes on it. In short, I like the idea of providing an option to skip the first occurrence, and probably set by default.

I've read and re-read Bryan's post, and I don't see any mention about restricting how many times it recurs... :P
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: I've read and re-read Bryan's post, and I don't see any mention about restricting how many times it recurs... :P
Yep, absolutely true. :D (I did take it a bit of a step further, didn't I? :wink:) Oh and asking if that's what he had in mind?, hmmm, wouldn't be putting a bee in the bonnet.... would it? :wink:)

But, I mentioned you liked the first part of the idea. :wink: .... but what's going to happen if I don't happen to be around for awhile when the next Mail Check occurs, am I going to get voice notification mixed in with Chimes? .... just wondering... 8) (I understand that taking on the second part might sound like a bit of an overkill #-o)

Oh, I'm glad you found our conversation.... I don't have to bother now. =D>
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers