Problems with gmail the last few days...

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Chivas

Problems with gmail the last few days...

Post by Chivas »

Hello all,

I use pop peeper for gmail with imap but the last few days it is nog working anymore and I get an error message as follows :
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.1.0
Webmail: 4.5.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.14
IMAP: 4.5.1.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.0

--- Error ---
... Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 27]
- SSL connection failed (is SSL plugin loaded?) (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate [2] (20))

Same message for my other Gmail accounts and ssl is loaded and ok...

Anyone a solution to make it work again please?
Thnx in advance - Paula
spc3rd

Re: Problems with gmail the last few days...

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Paula,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with Gmail.

Thank you for providing the error overview information too. Your plugins appear to be the latest versions.

The "1000" error typically means POP Peeper is unable to connect to the server.
One question I have for you is this: Do you sometimes use a VPN?

While awaiting further review of your topic by other members of The Esumsoft Team, I would suggest taking a look at the post below by Jeff made to a member experiencing a Gmail/certificate issue similar to yours back in 2017 - to see if his instructions help.

viewtopic.php?p=35005#p35005

Please post back with your response to my question above, and also if you tried any of the instructions Jeff provided in the post I referred you to, as well as, what the outcome was.

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
Chivas

Post by Chivas »

Hi Pete,

Thank you so much for your explanation - I tried everything you asked me for but nothing seems to help and no I don't use a VPN.

I even restarted pop peper after overwriting the cacert.pem file - just to see if it makes any difference but no...

It all worked fine till a few days ago - perhaps it will work again withing a few other days :wink: - i hope so... or perhaps someone else finds another solution for me...

Anyhow thanks again for your effort - kind regards - Paula
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thank you for the update, Paula.

I have contacted Jeff about the issues you are having. He and other Team Members should be dropping by later today, and can offer additional help.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Missie44

Post by Missie44 »

I am having the same problem with gmail the past few days though not my other accounts. I get this message only on my gmail accounts every time I try to check email. "SSL connection failed (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate [2] (20))"
My yahoo and regular server accounts work fine on PP
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello Missie44 and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums!

To better assist you, please post back with the complete text of the error message POP Peeper is giving you, by following the instructions in the Sticky below:

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post

* - Please be sure to read the "CAUTION" note in the Sticky regarding personally-identifiable information.

As mentioned to Chivas above, I have already contacted Jeff regarding this issue. He & other members of The Esumsoft Team
should be dropping-by later to review both your posts.

In the interim, as you are new to the Forums, we ask that you please review the following Sticky topic:

Information for new users and forum members

It contains important information which all new members need to be aware of. If you should have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know!

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Presumably, you're using Avast AntiVirus (note: AVG is the same software). Avast/AVG has updated their self-signed SSL certificate and you need to take action because of this. There are a couple of ways to address this:

Edit: Please see the following post for the information:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7171&p=36360#p36346

Personally, I recommend #1 -- real-time email scanning is not necessary as any viruses in attachments will be detected by the AntiVirus' real-time file scanner. Using the AntiVirus' certificate (#2) breaks the chain of trust in the SSL connection.
Missie44

Post by Missie44 »

I am posting the complete message
SSL connection failed (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate [2] (20))
And I use AVG
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thank you for posting back, Missie44.

The complete error message text should look similar what is shown below:

--- Version ---
SSL: 1.0.2.14

--- Error ---
... Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 27]
- SSL connection failed (is SSL plugin loaded?) (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate [2] (20))

You can only get the entire text if you follow the instructions in the Sticky topic I mentioned. The complete text provides us with more detailed information needed to effectively evaluate a problem and resolve it.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or comments! :)

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Missie44 -- Avast and AVG are effectively the same (owned by the same company). The specific instructions may be slightly different, but the solutions provided above for Avast still apply (upon further investigation, I believe the instructions are exactly the same).
Missie44

Post by Missie44 »

THANK YOU, SO MUCH, WORKED PERFECTLY!
and sorry for my ignorance ;-(
new at this!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

No need to apologize! Glad it's working again :)
Chivas

Post by Chivas »

Hello Jeff and Pete,

Silly, silly me :? :? ... of course I knew about not to let Avast scan for ssl because I had troubles in the past so it was disabled long time ago but... don't know how but now after the latest update it seems that something caused ssl scanning to be active again so thanks to you, Jeff, I had a look there again and found the re-activation and disabled is and of course now it works like a charm again.

Sorry for the trouble I caused :oops: but thank you both for the help :wink:

Have a nice weekend.
Kind regards,
Paula
colin_thames

Post by colin_thames »

Thanks Jeff and Pete
I was also getting the same problems and error message as missie and chivas since about the 24 August. I think Avast must have just done an update which changed the SSL setting. Your fix works perfectly. Thank you.
mjaafar

Post by mjaafar »

I have the same issue

But I found the the problem lied with my antivirus - AVG Internet Security 18.6.3066

I found that if I disable and re-enable it, it works fine, until I restart Pop Peeper, then the problem reoccurs

--- Version ---
SSL: 1.0.2.11
RSS: 4.5.0.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0

--- Error ---
Account 01 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate [2] (20))

Account 02 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate [2] (20))
Last edited by mjaafar on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, mjaafar!

Thank you for sharing your own experience regarding the issue being discussed here.
As you are new to the Forums, The Esumsoft Team requests you please review the following Sticky:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important, helpful information which all members should be aware of.
If you should have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know. :)

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjaafar

Post by mjaafar »

Thanks Pete

I have an update

I found that if you disable the SSL scanning in the "Email Shield" component of AVG it begins to work.

and afterwards you can enable it again and Gmail will still work, until you restart Pop Peeper again
Capture.JPG
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi mjaafar - have you tried the suggestion previously posted by Jeff in this same topic?

You can click HERE to go DIRECTLY to that post (if you do not want to disable SSL scanning then try option #2 to import the certificate so that PP can use it. :wink:

(Note: I personally use Avast! -- but I can assure you that the SSL scanning interface that I have in Avast is virtually the same as what you posted above [same setting as well] -- so either of the options previously posted by Jeff should presumably work equally well for AVG users :))
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjaafar

Post by mjaafar »

Thanks lakrsrool
Thanks Jeff
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In case anyone tried method #2 (importing the SSL certificate) and it still did not work, please see the updated information:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7171&p=36360#p36346

If you have already imported the certificate, then you only need to complete steps 2c-2f