All Yahoo and SBCGlobal Accounts Timing Out While Webmail Works

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

All Yahoo and SBCGlobal Accounts Timing Out While Webmail Works

Post by Rakdan »

This just started, maybe an hour ago.
I can go to the webmail version of my Yahoo and SBCGlobal accounts, but POP Peeper cannot check them.
They all time out *that is the POP Peeper error message, and it takes several minutes before POP Peeper even gives up).
I even tried rebooting my computer and closing my firewall.
Other accounts (Gmail, MyWay, Zoho, and AIM) all work.
Godiva

Re: All Yahoo and SBCGlobal Accounts Timing Out While Webmail Works

Post by Godiva »

I was having the same problem (just started this evening), but then I updated to the latest WebMail plugin (v4.4.4 from May 25th, specifically addressing Yahoo accounts): http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/plugins/ (scroll down to the end of the page), and either that fixed things, or the latest SSL plugin (v1.02.11) did (I updated both at the same time, so I'm not certain which one fixed it, but I suspect it was the Webmail simply cuz it says it's a Yahoo specific fix).
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

Thank you!

The webmail update worked.
It is very odd.
When I checked my versions, it said that Webmail update does not apply to existing accounts.
I updated anyway because of your post.
Now, it still says that the update does not apply.
It now shows me with 4.4.1.0, saying that the latest 4.4.4.0 (which is what I should have just downloaded) does not apply.
I thought that I had 4.4.1.0 before the update, but maybe not.
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

Rakdan wrote:It now shows me with 4.4.1.0, saying that the latest 4.4.4.0 (which is what I should have just downloaded) does not apply. I thought that I had 4.4.1.0 before the update, but maybe not.
Both my local Help|About screen and the website download page says I have version 4.4.1.0, but the latest version is 4.4.0.0 :?: ), but my Webmail module locally shows 4.4.4.0 in both columns. Maybe Jeff will enlighten us with an explanation in the near future.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Maybe try exiting/restarting POP Peeper and see if the columns update -- let me know if that changes anything.

I've double-checked the auto-update and it seems to be working as expected: I had webmail v4.4.1.0 with just a Yahoo/webmail account and it updated.

Godiva -- you said that help/about says latest is v4.4.0.0, did you mean v4.4.4.0? If it really does say v4.4.0, then have you pressed the "check version" button and do you have both "automatically check for updates" and "auto-update webmail plugin" enabled? [edit: I didn't realize you were talking about "POP Peeper" and not webmail; see lakrsrool explanation]
mjs

Post by mjs »

The POP Peeper version 4.4.1 was a "silent" upgrade release (the download will say v4.4 but the version is actually v4.4.1 to address Hotmail Server issues). As far as the Webmail plugin, the versions do not necessarily correspond to the POP Peeper version release, we have had 3 version releases for the Webmail plugin to address Yahoo mail since the Webmail v4.4.1 release.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I do not see an option here to upload a jpg, but my versions say:

Webmail 4.4.1.0 4.4.4.0 pass
Profile Picture 4.2.0.0 4.3.0.0 pass

all other rows are current versions and say pass as well.

I did the upgrade manually. I downloaded the file and clicked on it to run it. When things looked awry, I realized that the instructions are to place it in the programs folder and restart POP Peeper, so I did that as well, which had no effect. I also tried checking Automatically check for updates and Auto-Update WebMail plugin. I left them checked for a while yesterday, and it had no effect.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Rakdan -- if you go to
main menu: Tools / Plugins
and hover your mouse over "webmail" it tells you where it found the plugin. Confirm that it's the same location that you installed the plugin to.

Also, open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), go to the 'details' tab and make sure that there is only one instance of POPPeeper.exe. If there is more than one, exit the instance of POP Peeper that you're able to, and kill/end-task any instances of POP Peeper that you can't otherwise access. Then restart POP Peeper.

Profile Picture -- this should be updated when you install POP Peeper Pro. If you run the installer, the 3rd page is "Choose components" and "Profile Picture" is in the "Pro" section -- make sure that it's ticked or else it won't be installed but will not delete/remove the existing file.

Forum attachments -- below the text area where you type is a blue box with 2 tabs: 'Options' and 'attachments'
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

Now, I have the right version. I had downloaded the exe instead of the zip file with the dll.
The exe file does not work properly. I put the dll in my POP Peeper installation folder, and now it works.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You should be okay if your "About POP Peeper..." looks like this:
current PP versions pic 1.png
current PP versions pic 2.png
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

How did you add the picture to your post?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Rakdan wrote:How did you add the picture to your post?
You can CLICK HERE for a sticky topic on posting screenshots.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've tested the exe webmail installer and it installs the correct version. I don't know if this is the problem or not, but when you use that installer, it doesn't select the webmail component automatically and if you don't enable anything, it will carry on and tell you that everything (which is actually nothing) was installed successfully.

That's always been in the back of my mind, so I've just updated the installer so that it will prompt you if you don't enable anything.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I don't remember whether I checked the Webmail box, but, after running the installer, I was able to check my email, even though the version was not current.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It could have been coincidence that it worked without the correct version. A "timeout" generally indicates a server-side issue, but the specific error that webmail v4.4.4 addressed was a random login issue; the update notes say that it occurs "approximately 33-50% of the time". Once PP is able to login, it doesn't have to login again for a long time (or until you restart PP).

What got lost in all of this is that the message you got -- "update does not apply" -- may actually be correct. If you edit your Yahoo account(s), does the "Server type" say "Yahoo" or something else (e.g. IMAP or POP3)? If your Yahoo accounts are all using imap or pop3, then the webmail plugin is not used. That would also explain why it started working again even when your webmail plugin wasn't updated.

btw, IMAP is the preferred server type, so if your Yahoo accounts *are* set to imap, don't think that you should change them.