ssleay32.dll is being removed from program

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
toolcraft

ssleay32.dll is being removed from program

Post by toolcraft »

Norton Is removing ssleay32 (says contains ws.reputation.1 threat) from new install from POPPeeperPro-Install-v44... anyone else seeing this? anyway yahoo error now says ssl plugin is not loaded (assuming Norton blocked or removed)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: ssleay32.dll is being removed from program

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the forums, toolcraft.

Norton/Symantec doesn't report a virus on virustotal.com. Note that there are literally thousands of builds for the filename ssleay32.dll; the report I linked to is specifically for the 1.0.2.11 build provided by POP Peeper that I just re-scanned minutes ago to verify.

So, you can:
- recover the file from the quarantine (if possible)
- Try downloading the zip version and installing it manually
- Disable Norton temporarily and install the SSL plugin

As a new member of the Forums, the Esumsoft Team welcomes you and recommends that you review the following Sticky: Information for new users and forum members. This link provides important information about the Forums and POP Peeper as well as additional helpful resources.
toolcraft

Post by toolcraft »

Thanks for the advice.. just wanted to make sure didnt have bug or virus.. I made exception on norton and all is working now.. If i didnt it would remove it as soon as it accessed it..
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

@ Jeff

If this user never implemented your SSL plugins files it would indicate the dlls reside in system as registered libraries. Or registered by another installer in some program or user directory somewhere.

Which would mean Norton is whacking it for a likely reason. Exceptions are a workaround, not a fix. And for an SSL component? :shock:

I forgot if libraries in an executable's root folder take precedence over those system registered and if not the presence of yours might not be a solution.

Without a boatload of details about the user's Windows environment (for one, the path of that ssleay32.dll) and considering the Nice Behavior of POP Peeper over the years, I think this is an issue for Norton support to resolve.

Just my 1.5 cents...

Cheers.
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

dallas77us -- the SSL files are downloaded by default as part of the most recent POP Peeper installation (exe) so I'm certain that what toolcraft experienced is a genuine False Positive. I suspect that Norton is *particularly* careful about this file *because* it's a known SSL/security component. As I alluded to above, there are likely thousands of different hashes for this particular file and the one distributed by POP Peeper is definitely unique (not only do I use a non-standard build, but it includes Esumsoft's digital signature). That being said, I do find it peculiar that it's getting hit with a reputation flag -- not "peculiar" in that I think the file is suspicious, but "peculiar" in how AntiVirus programs work...

DLL's in the working folder do take precedence over other folders in the path, but POP Peeper only uses local files. Because SSL requires 2 files, imagine what would happen (in toolcraft's case, for example) if POP Peeper was using ssleay32.dll from some version in the System32 folder and a different version of libeay32.dll in POP Peeper's folder -- I can only imagine bad things :)

The file has been submitted to Norton.