how do I set my default address when mailing

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

how do I set my default address when mailing

Post by gordon »

Hi,
When I mail a letter, the "from:" is automatically filled in.
I can manually change it.
How can I change the default value?
thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: how do I set my default address when mailing

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper only fills in the "from" field if it found something in the header that may indicate that you're using an alias.

For example, if you have an alias:
alias@example.com
which actually forwards to
real@example.com

Some servers will include the original email address (alias@example.com) as a field in the header. There's no standard for this, and not all servers will do this. But if POP Peeper finds one of the common fields, it will grab this value and put it in the "From" so that when you reply, you will reply from your alias instead of your real email address.

The only way that you can override the 'from' address (semi-automatically) would be to change the "email address" and "name" values in your account.
To disable the automatic alias-detection:
- POP Peeper main menu: Tools / Options
- select the "Send Mail" page
- Disable "allow from aliases"
OR -- if you still want to be able to change the 'from' manually: clear the header fields and disable "include name"
gordon

Post by gordon »

I was not clear :-(
When composing mail, I would like to set the default address for the "from:" field.
thanks
mjs

Post by mjs »

When clicking on the "Compose" button or alternatively from the Main menu selecting "Send Mail" > "Compose new message..." to compose a message you will get the interface illustrated in the screen-shot below:
Clicking on Compose.png
Where you can optionally set the composing account as the default if you like by checking the box for the account selected from the drop-down list or optionally leave the default option unchecked and simply select from the drop-down list each time.

If you do not get this interface box when composing a message you may have checked the box to "Do not show this prompt again" and in that case if you want this interface to display again you would need to go to "Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab from the main menu and check the box "Reset confirmation prompts" and click the "OK" button to get it back.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
gordon

Post by gordon »

lakrsrool,
OK, thanks.
FYI I had to reset confirmation prompts.
gordon
lakrsrool wrote:When clicking on the "Compose" button or alternatively from the Main menu selecting "Send Mail" > "Compose new message..." to compose a message you will get the interface illustrated in the screen-shot below: Clicking on Compose.png Where you can optionally set the composing account as the default if you like by checking the box for the account selected from the drop-down list or optionally leave the default option unchecked and simply select from the drop-down list each time.

If you do not get this interface box when composing a message you may have checked the box to "Do not show this prompt again" and in that case if you want this interface to display again you would need to go to "Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab from the main menu and check the box "Reset confirmation prompts" and click the "OK" button to get it back.