gmail [iMAP]/Sent box, how did I make this

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

gmail [iMAP]/Sent box, how did I make this

Post by gordon »

Hi,
A previous post explained how PP can send outgoing yahoo mail to yahoo.com sent folder:
esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6341&p=31852#p31856

I accidentally put my gmail account in that rule.
Which resulted in _some_ of my PP outgoing mail being routed to my gmail inbox (and displayed in PP).
At first this seemed to be a bug. :-(
Now it seems to be a feature. :-)
Conversations are easier to follow etc.

However not all my PP outgoing gmail is going to my inbox.
It seems that PP replies do not go to inbox.
Instead they go to [IMAP]/Sent box and Sent box.

Composing outgoing PP mail goes to inbox and Sent box. :-)

Is it possible to implement a rule to copy all my gmail PP outgoing mail to my gmail inbox?
Composing mail does that now.
Replies do not.
thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: gmail [iMAP]/Sent box, how did I make this

Post by Jeff »

First, I assume that you are BCC'ing yourself. As PP does not currently save sent messages to the Imap-Sent folder, BCC'ing yourself is the only way you'll get a copy of your email (with an asterisk on that statement: I seem to recall that some servers *will* save a copy on their own accord; I think I saw Hotmail doing this [lakrsrool would know, as he discovered it, but he's afk for a while], but it's possible others like gmail do it, too). If gmail is doing this on its own, then that may be why you're getting mixed results. So the question is: *are* you BCC'ing yourself when you send email from PP?

Anyway... just BCC yourself and don't use any rules and your emails should end up in the inbox. If you have a rule in PP, be sure to exclude your gmail account(s) either using an "is in list" that doesn't include gmail, or a "not - is in list" that does specify your gmail accounts. You'll need to check any server-side rules, too.

Oh, one other thing: POP Peeper will hide messages that you BCC yourself, so you may need to unhide hidden messages to see if they're there (they'll appear in italics): main menu: Messages / Hide hidden messages.
If you want to disable the rule that does that, the rule is named "BCC".

btw, I did some quick testing, and it seems that Gmail does put a copy of PP-sent messages in the "Sent Mail" folder. In IMAP terms, this would be the "[Gmail]/Sent Mail" folder. For an email client that *does* support saving sent messages (again: not PP currently), I would expect them to appear in "[Imap]/Sent" because the typical sent folder is "Inbox.Sent".
gordon

Post by gordon »

Hi,
Yes, I am setting bcc in each account.
I am pretty sure the BCC default rule does not hide.

I am looking back through my notes and I cannot figure this out.
At this link
https://esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.p ... 852#p31856

There is the following example to send PP sent mail to yahoo sent box:
[Rules]
From self; move to Sent_Action = 2 65550 0 "" "" 0 16777215 "Sent"
From self; move to Sent_Rule00 = 0 1 0 "From" 0 "%email%"
From self; move to Sent_Rule01 = 1 1 0 "To" 1 "%email%"
From self; move to Sent_Rule02 = 2 1 0 "CC" 1 "%email%"
From self; move to Sent_Rule03 = 3 1 9 "+Account" 0 "YourYahooAccount1, YourYahooAccount2"
From self; move to Sent_Status =

The "YourAccount1..." needs to be changed to PP account name(s).
The %email% text is a special flag which means
"your email address for the account that received the email being processed"
However, there is another edit in order to get it to work,
I need to change %email% to a PP account name(s).
That is odd, because I believe the %email% worked properly at one time. :-o
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The variable %email% will get replaced by whatever the account's email address is that's receiving the email. You should not change that. I could see that replacing %email% with the name of your account could have very mixed results, depending on what your email address is what what your accounts' names are.

The intention of the original rule that you quoted in the other thread is that any email FROM yourself that is NOT in the 'to' list or 'cc' list will be moved to the 'Sent' folder. This will move any messages that you BCC yourself, but not for example, if you want to send yourself a test message by using the 'to' field instead of 'bcc'. Note that any email addresses you include in the bcc field will not appear in the 'to' or 'cc' fields of the receiving email.

I think I'm confused on exactly:
- what you want/expect to happen
- what IS happening

From your original post, you said, "It seems that PP replies do not go to inbox." By which I assume you mean your BCC does not go into the inbox. But if you want the message in your inbox, why use the rule to move your BCC's to the 'Sent' folder?
gordon

Post by gordon »

I am trying to have gmail PP bcc mail go to both the gmail.com sent folder and the inbox folder.
I am close, as I can do one or the other, but not both.
And bcc goes to IMAP/Sent, not Sent on gmail.com

Ahh, I see that gmail people are thinking like me.
All I have to do is set bcc and it goes to sent and inbox on gmail.com
No PP rules needed other than bcc:
One server side rule to mark as read.
Could it be that simple? :-)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The rule that you mentioned in POP Peeper will MOVE the message (ie. copy&delete, not just copy) to the Sent folder. However, GMail already makes its own copy of Sent messages, so by excluding your gmail accounts from PP's "move to sent" rule will allow the BCC to stay in the inbox, and you still get a copy in your sent folder.
derek304

Post by derek304 »

which version are you using?
gordon

Post by gordon »

derek304 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 am which version are you using?
PP version: 4.4.2.0