suggestion for download page menu

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

suggestion for download page menu

Post by gordon »

Hi,
Today I had a problem downloading PP.
I downloaded only PPplus when I thought I had PPplus and PPpro.
At the download page, there is an drop down menu for selecting products.
I used the default "all products".
In my haste, I assumed that "all products" meant PPplus and PPpro.
I did not read all the selections in that drop down menu.
If I had I would likely interpret "all" to mean esumsoft "all", not PP "all".
I suggest changing the drop down menu to radio buttons.
And allow for multiple radio button selections.

This would have an additional benefit: The download email would
have only one shortcut. It could be a shortcut for one product, or
multiple products.

download page:
https://www.esumsoft.com/productrequest/
thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: suggestion for download page menu

Post by Jeff »

In general, "all products" is the most useful selection as it will provide information for anything that you've purchased. It's essentially the same information as if you select an individual product; the links you received for the Plus Pack would be the same.

However, I do appreciate your suggestion for trying to make this easier to understand. A little history on this (to explain why it is the way it is/was) -- It used to be that only the "Plus Pack" installer was delivered by email and you were expected to install "POP Peeper" separately. I later added a new installation that included both "POP Peeper" and the "Plus Pack" in a single installation. In typical developer fashion, I didn't give enough thought to how the end-user would interpret these download links.

What I've done just now -- and hopefully this will address your confusion -- is I've changed the order of the links and also provided a better and brief description of what each download link is for.

So, the old email looked like this:
The download link is active for a limited time.
If you are using a download accelerator, please disable it before downloading this file.
(url)

Or to download in zip format (not recommended in most cases):
(url)

You may also download the full installation which includes POP Peeper Pro and the Plus Pack:
(url)
The new and improved email looks like this:
The download links are active for a limited time. Please choose the download link most appropriate for your needs.
If you are using a download accelerator, please disable it before downloading.

Full installation (POP Peeper Pro and Plus Pack):
(url)

Plus Pack installation only (if you've already installed POP Peeper):
(url)

Zip format (for advanced users):
(url)

In related news, I'm working on something for (a future version) that may make all this obsolete and a much better experience overall. You can speculate on this, but that's all I'm going to say for now because it's still very much a work-in-progress and it's a much bigger project than I anticipated, so it's not finalized for v5 yet.