Poppeeper Has Stopped Retrieving Outlook Email

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mdv921

Poppeeper Has Stopped Retrieving Outlook Email

Post by mdv921 »

All plugins are current. Anyone else having this issue as of this evening?
Montagar

Re: Poppeeper Has Stopped Retrieving Outlook Email

Post by Montagar »

Yep... all hotmail accounts are "Error: Try again later. (-1001)"

I have logged into all the accounts via browser and they are functional.
CenturyBreak

Post by CenturyBreak »

Same here... able to log in properly, but PP is reporting (-1001)

As a sample of Server Info from PP:

Server size: 71370 bytes
Mem size: 1237 bytes
File size: 1237 bytes

Last DB Maint (global): 01/25/18 18:07:36 (13 days)

Last success: 02/07/18 20:12:22 (145 minutes ago)
Last error: 02/07/18 22:37:29 (0 minutes ago)
- Error: Try again later. (-1001)
Consecutive errors: 6

Edit: I noticed these were for accounts that I'd changed back to Hotmail/Outlook server type from IMAP for some issue or other a while back, and when I changed them back to IMAP, the (-1001) error was resolved... for now, anyway! :wink:
mjs

Post by mjs »

As CenturyBreak has pointed out this error is exclusively involving accounts that use the Webmail plugin hence using "Server type" = "Hotmail/Outlook".

By switching to "IMAP" for the "Server type" for each of these accounts this issue will be resolved (Edit the accounts and change the "Server type" to "IMAP" in the "General" tab of the edit account interface).

Be sure to press the OAuth2 button as well and follow the ensuing steps to authorize POP Peeper in the Edit Account window.

It is also recommend to use "IDLE/Push" in that same Edit Account interface (but not required if you prefer to have accounts checked for mail on a scheduled basis as opposed to messages getting pushed to the inbox as of the time they reach the Accounts Server). The advantage of using "IDLE/Push" is that you not only get your messages when available but also PP account log-ins are reduced as well.

The problem appears to be related to messages MSN is sending to users (also I've found that logging-out of the account on the web causes my AV to produce Malware alerts which is odd) -- so as of this time there appears to be significant issues using the MSN protocol which can be avoided by switching to the IMAP protocol (which is incidentally the recommended protocol to use anyway). At some point Jeff may need to look into a Webmail plugin update to address the issue assuming the MSN Webmail procotol issue persists.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

lakrsrool wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm As CenturyBreak has pointed out this error is exclusively involving accounts that use the Webmail plugin hence using "Server type" = "Hotmail/Outlook".
I am not sure about that. All my Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts are Hotmail/Outlook, yet only one stopped working today.
I have done the usual trick of logging in and out with my browser a few times, but the error still persists.

Maybe they're progressively changing some account settings.
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

Thanks Protocol! Worked a treat.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

A fix for the issue has been released (webmail v4.5.2)

POP Peeper should automatically update to the latest webmail version within the next 24 hours. However, if you prefer to force the update:
- From POP Peeper's main menu, select Help / About
- Make sure that both "Automatically check for updates" and "auto-update webmail plugin" are enabled
- Press the "Check version" button
- In some cases, it may be necessary to exit and restart POP Peeper
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

4.5.2 hadn't shown up in Help About as of yet.

Downloaded the zipped dll and "installed" it. It works. Thanks Jeff!
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Thanks Jeff.

Great work. =D>
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it's working for everyone.

Just a couple points of clarification:
Protocol -- This only affected accounts that were using the Webmail protocol (server type = "hotmail/outlook"); accounts that were set to use IMAP (or POP3) were not affected. In general, IMAP is recommended as it generally avoids these types of downtimes. BUT, it was just about a year ago (?) when Hotmail's IMAP servers had major issues that went on for weeks. So I'm always a little more hesitant to fully endorse Imap for Hotmail.

dallas77us -- It shouldn't have been necessary to manually update the webmail plugin. POP Peeper only checks for updates every 24 hours, but pressing the "check mail" button does the same thing and should have found the update.
Protocol

Re: POP Peeper Has Stopped Retrieving Outlook Email

Post by Protocol »

This "- Error: Try again later. (-1001)" issue has reared its head again for me on one of my accounts.
I have switched the affected account over to an IMAP server type as described by lakrsrool earlier in this thread.

Strange how it only affects some accounts.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Did you try logging into the account with a private/incognito webbrowser? If not, there's probably an announcement that you need to acknowledge one time and then POP Peeper will start to work again. There was something about not needing passwords that popped up that was blocking my outlook account until I acknowledged it.

But why not just stick with IMAP? These kinds of issues don't affect IMAP.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Jeff wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm Did you try logging into the account with a private/incognito webbrowser? If not, there's probably an announcement that you need to acknowledge one time and then POP Peeper will start to work again. There was something about not needing passwords that popped up that was blocking my outlook account until I acknowledged it.

But why not just stick with IMAP? These kinds of issues don't affect IMAP.
Hi Jeff.
I didn't try using a private / incognito browser.
I didn't even know about that. I just tried logging in a number times using a normal web browsing page.

But, if you suggest sticking with IMAP, I will just stick with that and change all my Hotmail / Outlook.com email accounts over to that.

What do you think?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Using a "private" webbrowser window is a little more consistent with how POP Peeper behaves (PP doesn't store or load persistent cookies, which is the same behavior as a private webbrowser), and sometimes the non-private webbrowser will not show an intermediate screen which may be blocking POP Peeper.

If you're curious about what the problem may be, then email me [support at esumsoft dot com] and we'll take a look at your logs. In either case, I'd go ahead and switch your accounts to IMAP (after you switch the "server type" to IMAP, also press the "OAuth2" button that will appear next to your login name; OAuth2 is more secure). You will need a WebMail account to collect the logs (if you want to do that), so you can either leave one account that has the problem or you can simply create a duplicate account that uses the webmail protocol.
Marcolou16

Hotmail error (-1001)

Post by Marcolou16 »

For the past few days,I've been getting this error:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.2.0
Webmail: 4.5.10.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 17:05:58 - 17:05:58 (0 s) (-0400)
Data: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:05:58 -0700

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1: Hotmail/Outlook] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [consec: 21]
- Error: Try again later. (-1001)
Last edited by spc3rd on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post merged with current existing topic on same issue.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Marcolou16,

I've merged your topic post with this existing topic for better attention since other members have reported the same issue.
Also, thank you for including the error message information too!

Please review the info provided by Jeff and lakrsrool in the posts above yours to see if it helps resolve the issue you're having.

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Looks like this was a slow rollout (as usual) as my accounts reported problems as well and so I was able to fix it.

POP Peeper should automatically update to the latest webmail version within the next 24 hours. However, if you prefer to force the update:
- From POP Peeper's main menu, select Help / About
- Make sure that both "Automatically check for updates" and "auto-update webmail plugin" are enabled
- Press the "Check version" button
- In some cases, it may be necessary to exit and restart POP Peeper

Also, Outlook has updated their terms of service which will require you to accept and acknowledge these terms -- log into your accounts with your webbrowser and then sign out and sign back in if you're automatically logged in.

Let me know if you still have any problems.
Marcolou16

Post by Marcolou16 »

Thanks guys, switching to IMAP solved it.