please explain disconnect (right click account)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

please explain disconnect (right click account)

Post by gordon »

Could you explain the disconnect menu pick (right click account/disconnect)?

The following is from PP/help (under general/idle/push):
If IDLE is enabled and supported, you can right-click on the account and see that "Disconnected" is enabled. If you need to disconnect all idling accounts, press the green "abled" button in the status bar and press it again to make it go back to green\abled and the accounts will remain disconnected until they log in again at the next time interval.

I tried this on one yahoo account and one gmail account.
In both cases the "disconnect" menu pick was not bold, so clicking it did nothing.
Those 2 accounts are using IMAP and idle/push is enabled.

I assume that green "abled" is green "enabled"
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: please explain disconnect (right click account)

Post by Jeff »

Yahoo doesn't support IDLE (which is very rare; in fact, Yahoo is the *only* imap server I remember that doesn't support idle) and so POP Peeper will never remain connected to the server; thus, you'll never see the "disconnect" option available for Yahoo. Keeping the "idle" option enabled for Yahoo accounts is fine and still recommended, in case Yahoo ever decides to support it.

Gmail does support IDLE, so you should see the "disconnect" option when applicable. Here are some possible reasons why it wouldn't be connected:
- Idle isn't enabled for the account (I know you mentioned that it was, but I want to be as thorough as possible in this list)
- PP hasn't connected to the account yet
- AutoCheck is disabled (Idle won't engage if autocheck is disabled; accounts will disconnect if you do a manual check while AutoCheck is disabled)
- The account is disabled (idle won't engage if the account is disabled and you manually check it)
- You're not connected to the internet, or the connection was broken
gordon

Post by gordon »

Jeff,
Attached is what I see.
This is what I expected to see when disconnected:
"disconnect" in bold or maybe "disconnected"
Attachments
PP1.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In your screenshot, it looks like "disconnect" is available, meaning you can select it to disconnect. There may not be any visible change when you do this (except: if you right-click again, "disconnect" will be unavailable), but if you watch the statusbar, you *may* see it disconnect (or you may not if (a) other activity is in progress or (b) it happens too fast for the status bar to react).

The options in the menu should be thought of as actions and not a status. "Disconnected" would be the status, which is why it's not used. So it's always "disconnect" but is unavailable if it can't be used.

Here are 2 screenshots, side-by-side for easier comparison.

Account isn't connected:
PP_Disconnect_NotAvailable.png
PP_Disconnect_NotAvailable.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
Account is in idle:
PP_Disconnect_Available.png
PP_Disconnect_Available.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
gordon

Post by gordon »

Thanks for the explanation :-)