Is there a way to use PP to monitor an Exchange ActiveSync account?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
tatoo_ar

Is there a way to use PP to monitor an Exchange ActiveSync account?

Post by tatoo_ar »

My office is making some changes in its software. Now we are forced to migrate to Office 365 and use Exchange as email. I'm using Microsoft Outlook app in my Android phone, but I want to monitor my mail account from Windows also. POP3 is not available anymore. IMAP fails also. Can PP handle it? Any clues?

Thanks
mjs

Re: Is there a way to use PP to monitor an Exchange ActiveSync account?

Post by mjs »

The other members of the Esumsoft Team may have suggestions on how to get IMAP to work as this is the preferred protocol to use -- in the meantime have you tried using "Webmail" for now?

That is - have you tried changing the "Server type" to the "Hotmail/Outlook" connection protocol for your MSN (Microsoft) accounts to see if this works for you?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

tatoo_ar wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:52 pm POP3 is not available anymore. IMAP fails also. Can PP handle it? Any clues?

Thanks
Hello tatoo_ar,

In addition to what lakrsrool has asked, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. What is the Incoming Server you are using?

2. You said "IMAP fails also"; What happens when you try to use IMAP?

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The last time I looked at EAS, it was a proprietary system which requires a licensing fee of the email client. If I were you, I would talk with your IT department and try to convince them to enable IMAP.

There *may* be ways around it, see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3819
The information is rather old and was one of the many older names used previously by Microsoft, but maybe it will help? My gut is that it is not compatible with the latest system, but I don't know, or maybe there's a similar proxy/tunnel that is compatible.
tatoo_ar

Post by tatoo_ar »

IMAP fails with a non informative message: Error (LOGIN failed.)

I've found a program called eM Client that works pretty well, but I prefer to keep PP centralizing all of my accounts. I don't need it to reply or to compose new mail, just to monitor the account. But if a license is needed to use EAS protocol, just forget it. I will look at the DavMail proposed solution.

By the way, I work in an organization with 1000+ employees. I don't think my opinion will be taken in account :cry:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've taken a look and I cannot find any evidence that EAS is licensed, so scratch that excuse off the list :) I am going to keep EAS in mind, because it may be a way to get more "business" users; but this is not something that I have any plans to consider in the near future.
By the way, I work in an organization with 1000+ employees. I don't think my opinion will be taken in account :cry:
It never hurts to ask? You never know -- maybe not enabling IMAP was just an oversight...
tatoo_ar

Post by tatoo_ar »

Thanks Jeff. By the way, I've been using the Outlook app in my Android phone to access that account and it stopped working after the last change in my office. I had to create a new account (former was "Exchange" type, current is "Office 365". type was autodetected) and now it runs fine again. So probably EAS is not what I need.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, now my brain has been jogged a little more. Microsoft goes through mail APIs more often than mail name changes...

In that case, MS does provide the API (presumably license-free):
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office ... operations

This could be an interesting project, but it's not something I can look at soon; just too much going on right now with v5 getting to feature-lock.

It would also be good to know if anyone else is interested in this.
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

I'm interested to this functionality, also because, in these days, my company has closed the possibility to access to our mail server through POP3 and IMAP, this implies that I can no longer use POP Peeper without Exchange support.
Guzzy@dmin

Post by Guzzy@dmin »

Plus 1
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

I know this is an old post but I am still 'locked' on the company account.
My question is: can the webmail subscription service be a valid alternative?
Is there any way to try the service before buying it? (Trial version or an online test)

Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Gigios wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:23 am My question is: can the webmail subscription service be a valid alternative?
I can't say with absolute certainty since I don't personally have access to an EAS server to test, but I would say: not likely. If it didn't work before, then it's not going to work now. Are you able to access your EAS email from outlook.live.com (or do you have to use a custom url) and, if so, does the URL still list outlook.live.com when you're viewing the messages or does it change to your company's domain (or anything else)?

I'd still say that the best solution is to use the 3rd party EAS tunnel/proxy (davmail) as mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3819

As far as I know, that utility still works as I believe someone has mentioned success within the past year or so. If you use it and it does work, I'd ask that you reply to that post so that other people will know that it still works.
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

Hi Jeff, thanks for the answer :-)

Your question is not very clear for me (but this could be related my bad english)
To access to my email I'm using a 'company' address and not outlook.live.com
When I logged in the email, the address is this:

https://mail.companyname.com/owa/#path=/mail

The path, obviously, change if I change the folder, for example the emails sent is:

https://mail.companyname.com/owa/#path=/mail/sentitems

I have tested in the past the davmail, but now it is, more or less, a year that this does not work for me (I will try to check if there are additional versions and/or different configurations to do)

For the moment thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, I'm fairly confident that the webmail subscription wouldn't work for you, so let's leave that off the table.

Are you saying that you had DavMail working for you before, but it stopped? Or that you initially tried it a year ago and it didn't work?

So, it occurred to me -- maybe regular @outlook.com email addresses will work through DavMail. And it does. That leads me to believe that DavMail should still work for business EAS accounts as well.

When I first installed DavMail, I downloaded the 32-bit version; and when I tried to run it, it told me that it didn't find a valid version of Java. Well, I knew I had Java installed for something else (but didn't remember if it was 32 or 64-bit), so I downloaded the 64-bit version of DavMail and this time it worked.

After that, I just left DavMail at the default settings -- which most likely wouldn't work for you because you'd need to change the "OWA or EWS URL" for your company.

In POP Peeper, I just created a POP3 account (IMAP would probably be better, but POP3 is simpler and always a good starting point) and set the server to 127.0.0.1 and changed the port to 1110, which is the default in DavMail (I see that in Godiva's tutorial, the port was changed to 110, but I wouldn't recommend that). Checked mail and voila!

Here's a screenshot of the account in POP Peeper, with the most relevant settings highlighted:
PP_DavMail.png
Here's a screenshot of DavMail (confirm that the port for POP3 is 1110 and not 110)
PP_DavMail_GatewaySettings.png
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

Hi Jeff,
Tonight, when I got home, I will try again to reconfigure everything.

I used DavMail for a year, then it stopped working, so the configuration I think was correct but probably it's changed something in my job email.

Thanks again.
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

I have found an update of DavMail but the problem still present.

I'm sure the problem is in configuring DavMail with my company's server 'limitations'.
I'll try to investigate, thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Does POP Peeper report an error, or what happens?
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

No, the problem is on the DavMail that it's not able to authenticate the user on the servers.
I have checked all the settings related the authentication (username with and without domain name for example).
The message that I receive is:

"DavMail Gateway
Authentication failed: user or password wrong, retry with domain\user or with the usage of default domain."

(sorry this is my translation because the message is in Italian, I'm not sure if it's exactly in this way in English).

In POP Peeper I can see a correct error message: "Login Error (LOGIN failed) -- "
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, unfortunately, that's not an error that I might be able to offer any other suggestions for. But, maybe as an experiment, try accessing a standard @outlook.com email account through DavMail and see if that works. That may help determine if there's a basic setting somewhere that you've overlooked.
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

Hi Jeff, sorry for the delay in the aswer :oops:

I will check your suggestion to access with a 'standard' outlook account but my feeling is that my company has changes something related the connection (probably a specific certificate or a similar change)

Thanks, I will inform you as soon I have news